American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Failing U2 just released "American Soul", a Bono beauty. There's never been such ANGER & UNITY in the fandom. Very 'weak' (and bad for our country) song...

....That re-uses part from Volcano. I want original parts!

Lying Bono singing FAKE NEWS about Refu-Jesus! Can't trust mainstream music. My friend Kid Rock only honest singer!

Refu-jesus is pretty bad though.
Buddha-wiser needs to make an appearance this album too.
Or maybe Bono should have quit before he began-dhi.

U2 have never recycled riffs or lyrics, never mind entire sections of songs that appeared on an album. The only other instance that's comparable is Spinning Head, and that was a b-side for a single from that album.

U2 has recycled riffs as far back as October. But this one was a little blatant and seems unnecessary unless they are like someone said, trying to connect the two albums. I like Volcano. It's a fun song. Nothing more. American Soul was kind of cool but that lift from. Volcano makes it feel like a b-side

Read the comments in this post before I listened to the song, and thankfully it's not as bad as the comments would make it seem.

It's okay. But it's not great. The companion album thing connecting this song with Volcano would make sense if the lyrics related to Volcano in any way. But they don't. Also, it's not like Volcano was the centerpiece or high water mark of Songs of Innocence (I would argue that, thematically, that would probably be Iris or probably Cedarwood Road). It's odd to re-use it.

By the way, Bono's 1 for 4 lyrically on this album. These lyrics are pretty bad.

Giving it a few more listens, I get all the problems with it, but I kinda enjoy it. Will probably be a lot of fun live, is this the new Elevation? A song that no matter where they play it, the crowd goes apeshit for it (and that is one helluva stupid song). Though I'd argue Edge shines more on Elevation, but the fuzz guitar here is a nice touch. The lyrics, yeah...I try to ignore them, but they're kinda fun.

I like the verses, would I have preferred a completely new chorus? Yes, probably. But as some pointed out, I think it works better here than it did with Volcano. The drums need to be a little louder though, but I'm sure they'll take care of that live (as they usually do). I don't understand why they can't get this right, just go back and listen to War guys.

With soe being soi's companion album I think they can get away with sampling different tracks. Well they can anyway really can't they.

Everyone raves about fez on here when there's a sample from get on your boots in there that everyone hates.

Well that was interesting, was liking it until the re-used Volcano/Glastonbury parts.

These guys need a QA process for their material these days before releasing. Maybe Ned, Ted, Jack, Zach whatever can get on board.

Just listened to american soul. Have no problem whatsoever with Refujesus. It's a rock song, not Marlowe.

I mean it's all about context, isn't it? If Refujesus was in a deep-thought ballad like one or even LTTGYA, I would hate it. But this is a rock number and that is where throwaway lines and terms live.

"A man comes on and tells me, how white my shirt can be, but he can't be a man cos he doesn't smoke, the same cigarettes as me" is a fantastic line but its also throwaway, yet we dont castigate the Stones for Satisfaction

Well there's no pleasing some of you, it's a great track to my ears.
The "You're Are Rock & Roll" bit was only used once on Volcano, it was part of the breakdown before the final chorus, it's put to far better use here.
I just wish they'd used more of Kendrick Lamar's rap in the song itself.

Quite a few artists I like have released albums over this last three year period since SOI, alas it is only U2 that continue to be the ONE act who manage to conjure up at least one really cringeworthy song that either I sit through and mentally distract myself (steaaady) somehow or skip and I don't like skipping first playbacks. This tune is not so good and so far the record is looking a tad underwhelming for me, mind you at least he didn't add the not only a country but an idea part that I felt was a comin'.

Then again this is the man who regaled us with the oh so witty; very good is the enemy of great soundbyte and then repeated it a number of times over the decade that followed.

You are an utter mug, but lets play along because game 7 is turning into a blowout and Im bored.

Yes, Im pretentious. Yes, Im gorgeous and yes Im also quite wealthy. Additionally, as you can deduce I have an extremely high opinion of myself.

And yet, I think this song and Volcano are two of the most disgusting things U2 have ever put out. It’s bad enough that I would stop myself from telling anyone that I periodically listen to U2 in case they’d heard these audio holocausts for themselves.

You are gorgeous. Breaking up with you was one of the worst mistakes I've ever made. Can you find it in your Sssssoul to forgive me? I'll buy you things, pay your taxes, and take your pets to doggy day care if you just give me one more shot. I'm drowning in my own sorrow here ffs :sad:

With soe being soi's companion album I think they can get away with sampling different tracks. Well they can anyway really can't they.

Everyone raves about fez on here when there's a sample from get on your boots in there that everyone hates.

Fair argument, but Fez:
was on the same exact album.
was an intro to Being Born.
Being Born is the part that gets raves.
Being Born is among the best of latter-day U2, a spiritual successor to the feel of TUF, so... lifetime pass for Fez.

I guess I like the song? Refu-Jesus is, erm, not the best lyric ever, but nothing else really offends me.

It's somewhat bizarre that this is the third song to have Glastonbury's chorus, but, if I ignore the self-plagiarism, I don't dislike the chorus any more than I did on its other two iterations, and the verses are probably better than on those songs.

Glastonbury was better than this. Just move evidence of overcooking.

American Soul is the sound of 4 men sending their legacy straight into the wood-chipper.

it's just beyond terrible, I wonder who/what made them think they could pull this off?

I hope I never hear this abomination again

American Soul is the sound of 4 men sending their legacy straight into the wood-chipper.

it's just beyond terrible, I wonder who/what made them think they could pull this off?

I hope I never hear this abomination again

I'm starting to become embarrassed that I was championing the release of new material over the JT tour. Haven't heard the entire album yet (obviously) but overall I'm concerned and I would say the odds of it being as strong as SOI are about 1/100 at this point.

Time to dream it all up again (again). Maybe T Bone Burnett could save them. Who knows at this point. At least with Eno and Lanois at the helm, you know the album's not going to be a complete stinker.

Last edited:
I don't mind this song. Refujesus doesn't bother me. It's another mediocre rock song in the pantheon of ABOY, SUC, Breathe, Cedarwood, etc. Filler but not offensive. It could still work within the album.

That said, the chorus is a weird decision. I'm not opposed to it, but would like to hear their thought process behind it.

I don't mind this song. Refujesus doesn't bother me. It's another mediocre rock song in the pantheon of ABOY, SUC, Breathe, Cedarwood, etc. Filler but not offensive. It could still work within the album.

That said, the chorus is a weird decision. I'm not opposed to it, but would like to hear their thought process behind it.

For me, it's:
Breathe
Cedarwood

ABOY

SUC
American Soul

I'm starting to become embarrassed that I was championing the release of new material over the JT tour. Haven't heard the entire album yet (obviously) but overall I'm concerned and I would say the odds of it being as strong as SOI are about 1/100 at this point.

Time to dream it all up again (again). Maybe T Bone Burnett could save them. Who knows at this point. At least with Eno and Lanois at the helm, you know the album's not going to be a complete stinker.

I wasn't actually embarrassed until I heard this clunker. I mean, for instance, TLTTGYA (or whatever it's called now) is a pretty good song (live), also 'the blackout' sounds pretty good and will likely be a monster live. I can see where some don't like TBT, however, it's actually a pop song done right, unlike what they tried to do on the previous two albums. 'Get Out' is a decent song, I don't really have a strong opinion of it yet....not great....not bad....certainly decent at best/worst.

But this onion here, even without the odd Glastonbury riff turned volcano chorus, its just a bad song. WITH the chorus, it's a very bad decision by a band who once made AB/ZOOROPA/POP/PASSENGERS. This is clearly not the same band....maybe it is time to bring back Eno & Lanois and leave the pop kids alone once and for all.

I wasn't actually embarrassed until I heard this clunker. I mean, for instance, TLTTGYA (or whatever it's called now) is a pretty good song (live), also 'the blackout' sounds pretty good and will likely be a monster live. I can see where some don't like TBT, however, it's actually a pop song done right, unlike what they tried to do on the previous two albums. 'Get Out' is a decent song, I don't really have a strong opinion of it yet....not great....not bad....certainly decent at best/worst.

But this onion here, even without the odd Glastonbury riff turned volcano chorus, its just a bad song. WITH the chorus, it's a very bad decision by a band who once made AB/ZOOROPA/POP/PASSENGERS. This is clearly not the same band....maybe it is time to bring back Eno & Lanois and leave the pop kids alone once and for all.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom