American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This song belongs in the bin. I'm sorry, but I do not agree with U2 re-using Volcano for the chorus, it's extremely lazy and I find it ridiculous. This band is losing me with their downright weird decisions.

Agreed. And I like Volcano. This is generic Af. Makes Volcano seemed like The Fly.

Wow, very interesting. Like an entire pissed off U2 getting squeezed through an old fuzz pedal, or something. Still sad that they decided not to put drums on this album. :p

Agreed. And I like Volcano. This is generic Af. Makes Volcano seemed like The Fly.

I like Volcano too. I don't know why they had to re-use obvious parts of it in this chorus. People are saying they tie the 2 companion albums together, but I feel that only works if it is somewhat subtle, like the odd nod to other songs. There Is A Light seems like it would be ok if it's just the odd lyric. But this Volcano thing is too obvious and too far.

Volcano is a cool song and your answer explaining why it's embarrassing is pretentious as fuck.

volcano is a good song but if you can't understand why it's embarrassing to sing YOU ARE ROCK N ROLL and why it's embarrassing to reuse that later and amend it to YOU AND I ARE ROCK N ROLL and seemingly use that to describe America you don't just need to go back and listen to U2's great pre-ATYCLB songs...

chorus aside, I like the song. It's got a nice T Rex vibe and it's musically solid...just the chorus...:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

I might be the minority here but for me, this song is my favorite out of the ones we heard so far. I like it even better than the blackout! And it's much C better than volcano which I really like. It doesn't really bother me that they used parts of volcano for this one. It's a kick arse song full of energy.

I fear that There is a Light will be an inferior version of an already mediocre song in Song for Someone (the only song on SOI that I didn’t like much).

Personally, I'm not surprised that a band known for endlessly reworking riffs -- and entire songs -- in studio would eventually find a way to straight up use a section of a song twice (three times, if we're counting Glastonbury). At least they did it in a context that makes sense given the connection between the albums.

This song.....

17607812_5-epic-face-palms-about-the-uber-ltfrb_t30bb358c.jpg

is totally fucking unnecessary.

Whoever said this might be this albums' SUC is basically right, unless God forbid, there's something worse we've yet to hear :no::scream:

Interestingly AS is no longer a free download it doesn't appear as an option anymore.

Yeah, this kinda seemed like an accident. A little overzealous to put out three tracks in a day, like a month ahead?

... Not that I'm complaining.

Could you please upload “The Blackout” too?
We don’t have iTunes here in Uruguay, and I’m not a user of Spotify.
Thank you [emoji120]

Of course Super Yo. You are like royalty around here. I’ll get the other songs in there in the next hour or so. Just use the link I put up for American soul.

Do people listen to U2? You know how many songs borrow from each other in the U2 world? I hear old songs in every new song... we all could do it for days... Every Artist is A Cannibal, Every poet is a thief... Bono steals from himself all the time...

Do people listen to U2? You know how many songs borrow from each other in the U2 world? I hear old songs in every new song... we all could do it for days... Every Artist is A Cannibal, Every poet is a thief... Bono steals from himself all the time...

Not to this extreme though!

Could you please upload “The Blackout” too?
We don’t have iTunes here in Uruguay, and I’m not a user of Spotify.
Thank you [emoji120]

Ok man. You should be good to go in a few minutes. Just check back if it’s not up there right away.

Glad to help!!!

From those threads "rank the post 2000's album tracks in order", it has made me realise that American Soul is gonna be rock bottom of that list for me.

Furthermore, either that or Miami will be my least favourite U2 album track of all time.

This is obviously only the case if my opinion of American Soul doesn't get any better than it is now. I seriously don't see how my opinion on it is ever gonna improve. Genuinely shocked at how bad a track this is :(

volcano is a good song but if you can't understand why it's embarrassing to sing YOU ARE ROCK N ROLL and why it's embarrassing to reuse that later and amend it to YOU AND I ARE ROCK N ROLL and seemingly use that to describe America you don't just need to go back and listen to U2's great pre-ATYCLB songs...

chorus aside, I like the song. It's got a nice T Rex vibe and it's musically solid...just the chorus...:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

It’s hard to believe that your initial post, which as the man stated was incredibly pretentious, somehow became even MORE pretentious with your next post. We get it, you only like U2 if they are making the songs exactly as you want them. You’re not really a fan, just an arrogant, condescending, pretentious prat. Move along now.

Not to this extreme though!

1) Love Is All We Have Left
2) Lights Of Home
3) You're The Best Thing About Me
4) Get Out Of Your Own Way
5) American Soul
6) Summer Of Love
7) Red Flag Day
8) The Showman (Little More Better)
9) The Little Things That Give You Away
10) Landlady
11) The Blackout
12) Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
13) 13 (There Is A Light)

Even their songs titles on same album -- 3 songs with LOVE in title.... 2 songs with LIGHT.... many songs with crazy long sentence titles...

Just saying even their title to songs are stealing from each other...

From those threads "rank the post 2000's album tracks in order", it has made me realise that American Soul is gonna be rock bottom of that list for me.

Furthermore, either that or Miami will be my least favourite U2 album track of all time.

This is obviously only the case if my opinion of American Soul doesn't get any better than it is now. I seriously don't see how my opinion on it is ever gonna improve. Genuinely shocked at how bad a track this is :(

Lol we get it it, you REALLY hate it. I think we got your message the first time you posted how much you hate it.

I absolutely hate that they are stealing from Volcano. Totally ruins it. And shut up about America already!!

It’s hard to believe that your initial post, which as the man stated was incredibly pretentious, somehow became even MORE pretentious with your next post. We get it, you only like U2 if they are making the songs exactly as you want them. You’re not really a fan, just an arrogant, condescending, pretentious prat. Move along now.

We get it, you only like posts if they are uncritical, fawning affection for U2 expressed exactly as you want it. You're not really interested in discussion or different views, you're just an arrogant, condescending, pretentious troll. Move along now.

Also, this song would be decent if it weren't for the chorus or REFU-JESUS.

U2 have never recycled riffs or lyrics, never mind entire sections of songs that appeared on an album. The only other instance that's comparable is Spinning Head, and that was a b-side for a single from that album.

Go back to @U2, you dock

And yeah, I want U2 to make a song how I want it: it want it to be good. Or at the very least not embarassing. That chorus is the aural equivalent of watching someone scratch their balls in the subway...under the pants

Back
Top Bottom