American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The verses are pure fire, really good. Chorus works better in this setting than in Volcano, but still like the verses better. Combined with Blackout you can definitely say it's been a long time since they made rock this good.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but during the JT tour there were people who have heard this track before... but they never mentioned the Volcano lift?

Maybe because they’ve never heard Volcano before? Unless they were hardcore fans, then that’s another question.

I preordered the deluxe vinyl set and I'm still wondering where my download is. I recieived confirmation of my order but did not receive the three songs they claimed I would. :angry:

Me too. Didn't get anything.

Re American Soul - its seems to be fighting for street cred as a gritty rocker but is kind of in a no man's land....there are conventional elements, especially the broad and universal lyrics but it can't decide whether to plow ahead or just stomp repetitively. A guitar solo would have been nice.

ATTENTION: You can use the same link i posted to American Soul, but i also just did some editing and combined the Kendrick intro. So now there is a version of American Soul on there with the full intro by Kendrick.

enjoy!!!

Could you please upload “The Blackout” too?
We don’t have iTunes here in Uruguay, and I’m not a user of Spotify.
Thank you [emoji120]

Me too. Didn't get anything.

Re American Soul - its seems to be fighting for street cred as a gritty rocker but is kind of in a no man's land....there are conventional elements, especially the broad and universal lyrics but it can't decide whether to plow ahead or just stomp repetitively. A guitar solo would have been nice.

I agree. Feels like the song has no idea what it's trying to be or wanting to be. It has moments where you think this could be good but then falls really flat and is kinda boring.

Hmmmm, mixed feelings. Love the verses, but it feels to retread Volcano like that to me (even though I love that part also). The lyrics are inert, refujesus is probably one of the worst U2 lyrics.

that chorus :lol:

why the fuck did they reuse one of the most embarrassing parts of their discography for the chorus of an otherwise excellent song?

these guys...

I can dig it. Thought the bridge was a bit weird... very wordy and wasn't following it super well but it ended up coming together.

I also like what they did with the end, that's a very un-U2 sounding "breakdown" before the final punch.

I'm totally fine with them reusing the best part of Volcano for this. I imagine there will be a few other callbacks as well.

Embarrassing,how so?

if you require someone to explain why volcano is an embarrassing song from a band with the sort of catalogue as U2 have, then i think the best thing you can do is re-listen to u2's great songs from before atyclb.

My issue with this song is, I feel like there's a titanium wall, stretching forever. It's called 'Bono'. I know there's a song behind this Bono, but I cannae get past the Bono.

Also, Mr Edge, if you're going to do a 'rocker' with simplistic pentatonic guitar riffs, for fuck's sake add something exciting to it. A decent solo perhaps. A complicated bit of guitar somewhere. Anywhere. So it feel a little more invigorating than a 15 year old plugging in a distortion pedal for the first time.

Though I still can't get past the Bono so, maybe I'm doing Edge a disservice.

lyrics

i wonder if lyrics will read refugees us or refuJESUS what i get is that he is saying refugees us.

This song belongs in the bin. I'm sorry, but I do not agree with U2 re-using Volcano for the chorus, it's extremely lazy and I find it ridiculous. This band is losing me with their downright weird decisions.

Could you please upload “The Blackout” too?
We don’t have iTunes here in Uruguay, and I’m not a user of Spotify.
Thank you [emoji120]

have you managed to get hold of a copy yet? if not, let me know and i will figure something out!

Now i understand what "lost in the music" means.... this song is going all over the place and has no purpose. The only positive thing about all my negative posts of today is that the last album i disliked so much in the beginning is now my favourite one.... AB!
The only difference is that back in 91, there was not 1 shitty pop song on the album. Now i hear 2 already out of 5 songs....

Back
Top Bottom