American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The more I listen to this song, the more I like it. Definitely a grower. There are actually some cool things going on with it. The repeating of “look around, it’s a sound,” Edge’s backing vocals, and the band build-up to the crescendo at the end are all interesting and great segments.

Like has been mentioned before I also think it’s quite possible he’s saying refugees; us! But we’ll wait and see on that.
That buildup in the end reminds me ALOT of a Beatles song which I can't remember which one at the moment.

Yes! Me too. But like you, not sure which one.

Yes in that song there is a buildup very similar to that and then it stops and John or Paul starts singing "got up, got out of bed...." Or something like that. Just for the life of me I can't put a name to the song now lol. I'll have to listen to some Beatles songs to find it. I'm thinking its on sgt peppers album.

Yes in that song there is a buildup very similar to that and then it stops and John or Paul starts singing "got up, got out of bed...." Or something like that. Just for the life of me I can't put a name to the song now lol. I'll have to listen to some Beatles songs to find it. I'm thinking its on sgt peppers album.

A Day InThe Life. Sort of a big string build up

American soul is now available to download from iTunes in Japan,should be available elsewhere on Friday.

Thanks for the info! i am very excited to hear it finally even though my expectations are low given the reviews here. i like Volcano and don’t mind a “repurposing” of parts of done right.

i love their promotional rollouts for this album, very exciting.

Thanks for the info! i am very excited to hear it finally even though my expectations are low given the reviews here. i like Volcano and don’t mind a “repurposing” of parts of done right.

i love their promotional rollouts for this album, very exciting.

Cosmo, I will say that I have come around on this one a bit. I know i gave a pretty harsh review last week.
It actually has more swing and swagger to it, than straight rawk. Really only the chorus is the RAWK part, and even then, not so bad.

Cool Edge vocal again, which helps the song.

Lyrics are still the weak point, but I've gotten more used to them. It's about a 6 - 6.5 in my book. Up from a 4.5 :)

Very odd that this is rolling out worldwide??? Not sure what to make of that. I'm assuming just available to download, not as a single...??

Cosmo, I will say that I have come around on this one a bit. I know i gave a pretty harsh review last week.
It actually has more swing and swagger to it, than straight rawk. Really only the chorus is the RAWK part, and even then, not so bad.

Cool Edge vocal again, which helps the song.

Lyrics are still the weak point, but I've gotten more used to them. It's about a 6 - 6.5 in my book. Up from a 4.5 :)

Very odd that this is rolling out worldwide??? Not sure what to make of that. I'm assuming just available to download, not as a single...??
They are probably doing it since they know it has leaked so might as well officially release it now. And I haven't listened to any new songs in a while except for AS this morning and it's still one of my favorites of the new ones. I love rocking u2 even if cheesy or bad lyrics.

Just got the pop up on my iPhone that American Soul is available. Went to my iTunes and it was already there(guess it downloads automatically). Very excited and will listen tomorrow....I’m watching the Steelers play now!!

Just got the pop up on my iPhone that American Soul is available. Went to my iTunes and it was already there(guess it downloads automatically). Very excited and will listen tomorrow....I’m watching the Steelers play now!!

Well, that's a statement that's fairly synonymous with U2...

ok i listen to the song and god it's freaking awful, sorry to break it to ya, but, man, they literally use the parts of Volcano

Blip in iTunes version ?

Got my iTunes download of AS, love the song. There seems to be a bad edit or momentary blip in the middle section, reminds me of the famous Last Night On Earth defect. I deleted and re-downloaded a couple of times, same thing every time. Anyone else notice it ?

I'm assuming just available to download, not as a single...??

Sure. There are no singles anymore, except TBT. The other songs have just been released to the public for purchase which is why one or the other radio station also selects them for airplay. But not because they are singles.

This song is an absolute mess. The first verse is cool and rocking and grooving, but as soon as it goes into Volcano that groove disappears and the whole song falls apart. It's even worse than Best Thing in regards to it sounding like it's cobbled together from spare parts. It doesn't flow in the slightest. Really disappointing, especially as Get Out Of Your Own Way (which I really enjoy) didn't get a proper ending due to the segue into this.

I do like the idea of having callbacks to SOI. I think that's an interesting idea if the old material is integrated well into the new, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with 13/SFS. It really, really doesn't work here though.

Last edited:
This song is an absolute mess. The first verse is cool and rocking and grooving, but as soon as it goes into Volcano that groove disappears and the whole song falls apart. It's even worse than Best Thing in regards to it sounding like it's cobbled together from spare parts. It doesn't flow in the slightest. Really disappointing, especially as Get Out Of Your Own Way (which I really enjoy) didn't get a proper ending due to the segue into this.

I do like the idea of having callbacks to SOI. I think that's an interesting idea if the old material is integrated well into the new, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with 13/SFS. It really, really doesn't work here though.

Bit harsh. I wouldn't call it a mess. Just a typical paint by numbers, post-2000 U2 song. Unremarkable, but with a decent enough groove and riff which will work quite well in a live setting.

i got to completely agree, this is not very good. i know it's not the rock bottom, but,,,,,

I can't think of even one at the moment. White as Snow maybe?

The fuck is wrong with you. White As Snow is one of NLOTH's better tracks.

And American Soul is clearly superior to Elvis Ate America, Red Light, A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel, So Cruel, TTTYAATW, Babyface, Miami, Playboy Mansion, In a Little While, Stuck in a Moment, Peace on Earth, Grace, SYCMIOYO, OOTS, Yahweh, Boots, Stand Up Comedy, Breathe, Unknown Caller, California, Song for Someone, The Blurst Thing... probably a few others.

So it's bad, but it's not that bad.

Bit harsh. I wouldn't call it a mess. Just a typical paint by numbers, post-2000 U2 song. Unremarkable, but with a decent enough groove and riff which will work quite well in a live setting.

It’s that paint by numbers thing which has become my go-to criticism of U2 and it’s kind of hinted-at in the Uncut album review too.

Back
Top Bottom