American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
McDonald's sells a lot of hamburgers. In fact they have been at the top of the hamburger charts for decades.

Therefor, they must make the best, most serious and substantive hamburgers in the whole universe.

Not what anyone is saying here, but ok.

McDonald's sells a lot of hamburgers. In fact they have been at the top of the hamburger charts for decades.

Therefor, they must make the best, most serious and substantive hamburgers in the whole universe.

Well in your analogy McDonald's having the best burger is subjective and can't be proven (it's not btw). However, McDonald's having the most popular selling burger is an accurate statement based on those "burger charts" and U2 is aiming for those burger charts whether we like it or not.

Music should always be compared to food, they’re one and the same. Our parents would never feed us bologna sandwiches or McDonald’s just because it was cheap and fast. We savor every meal like it’s art, food is a luxury.

Come on guys, just stop, this guy knows what he’s talking about.

Music should always be compared to food, they’re one and the same. Our parents would never feed us bologna sandwiches or McDonald’s just because it was cheap and fast. We savor every meal like it’s art, food is a luxury.

As Bono reaches his arm across his stomach to hold his jacket closed...

There are so many reasons to hate this song but I just can't. Years down the road, I doubt I'll come back to it a lot, just like Volcano, but that's ok. I'm enjoying it now.

I’ve come to appreciate this song. It has a lot going on in the production actually, more so than Blackout. Making the lyrical content less obvious would have made it that much better though. When he sings “put your hands in the air” this weird feeling comes that the next line will be “and wave them around like you just don’t care.”

I’ve come to appreciate this song. It has a lot going on in the production actually, more so than Blackout. Making the lyrical content less obvious would have made it that much better though. When he sings “put your hands in the air” this weird feeling comes that the next line will be “and wave them around like you just don’t care.”
I've been hating this song since first listen. However, I have come up with a solution that achieves what you've just touched on.
I put it on quite loud in one room, then go and listen to it in a different room. The groove and the music are all there, and apart from being about as creative as a brick they're fine. More importantly I can't quite distinguish the lyrics! Which is awesome!

There are so many reasons to hate this song but I just can't. Years down the road, I doubt I'll come back to it a lot, just like Volcano, but that's ok. I'm enjoying it now.
Same here,it's got a good groove and rocks. Won't stand the test of time though,poor refujesus.?

It’s right around the Top 140, and is a Top 20 song on the HAC format. For a rock band that has been around 40 years, that’s pretty damn good. Actually, it’s good for ANY rock band that has been around for more than a few years, if you’ve been following the charts for the past decade.

:up::up::up::up:

N.B. You seem to my soul-companion although you are very new to this forum. You and I think alike. Are you me in an alternate time-line ?!?!

Bono thinks music and food are comparable. He takes the digestion of both very seriously.

Not anywhere near as seriously as scents! The word is that he goes around smelling freshly painted doors and the top of newborn baby's heads!

By gosh, he can even smell songs!

you guys are debating chart performance as if that is a barometer of quality. It isn't. I think we all agree on that, and yet you go on and on for pages debating chart success...

No, that is not what we are doing. We are debating chart performance as a barometer of the impact the song is making on the general public and how the public is responding to it.

Not anywhere near as seriously as scents! The word is that he goes around smelling freshly painted doors and the top of newborn baby's heads!

By gosh, he can even smell songs!

And taste! Don't forget that when he was the bee AND the flower, the sweetness turned to sour.

Am I the only person who still has the donut guy pic as the preview for this thread? FFS when i finally do here this song all i am going to picture is the crumbs on his fucking chin!

On a side note, i like the preview pain(most of the time) as sometimes cool U2 related pics are posted. But this fucking guy has got to go, he has no American Soul!

Edit: sorry for the lower case i’s...my iPhone is acting crazy

I never got the link for American Soul. I'd like to hear it, but at this point, I am content to just have some things to open up on Dec 1...

Am I the only person who still has the donut guy pic as the preview for this thread? FFS when i finally do here this song all i am going to picture is the crumbs on his fucking chin!

On a side note, i like the preview pain(most of the time) as sometimes cool U2 related pics are posted. But this fucking guy has got to go, he has no American Soul!

Edit: sorry for the lower case i’s...my iPhone is acting crazy

The donut guy is rock'n'roll! OHHHHH

I am as excited for this album as any from them since Atomic Bomb (and I did like it. I don't love it, but there is some really catchy stuff there, and even though everyone hates it, Yahweh speaks to me like a slower, more grown up "Like a Song", just a good verse of saying "here I am...I am a liberal bleeding heart, and I make mistakes and don't act right all the time, but I am trying), but my life has been so chaotic lately, the Dec 1 drop date is both the day that album comes out and a deadline for a project I am heading that is going to be the death of me. So my focus is nowhere near the album, which is going to make it even more fun.

My excitement has been generated by finding this website. I have seen them around, but I never committed to one until the Joshua Tree 30 thing. I have had these debates for years, and the guy who introduced me to U2 in 1987 was one of the most interesting people I knew, a straight up genius who was a blue collar kid with a super computer brain. He won a rather prestigious scholarship in the state of Arizona and had to stay in our little northern AZ town after his parents moved because the Flinn requires in state residence. So he had his house to himself, and a job at the little gas station by the freeway (our town was a summer resort...yes, Arizona Summer Resort. Visit NAZ sometime) and we would hang there for hours in the winter and pilfer a few bucks of mini-mart goods and listen to U2 and talk, often about the band and the deeper meanings that may or may not have been there...this dude was my intellectual equal, nay my superior. And he lived on coffee, U2, and 2 hours sleep, because after work, his house was our local mini-party. And my parents were like "Go, my 15 year old child...hang out with that scholar kid. Please...it is better than the punks you usually hang with" and they were so right and wrong. Anyway, so many of our conversations came back to U2, and it is a trip 30 years later to see those same debates hashed out, sometimes more harshly and with more anger, but the same topic, on this board. So I jumped in...sorta. I am a HUGE fan, but I am not a complete U2 Savant. In the real world, I am, but not here...

So, the point of that snippet of origin story? Just that I love the debates (minus so much of the insider joke bullshit that seems fun for 5 people, but sometimes takes over real discussion), and I am feeling the excitement for this album in part because of this community, in part because of the songs I have heard (I am one that is all in on Best Thing as well as Blackout and Little Things), and that makes this run to Dec 1 a lot of fun.

Because, with this project, and after the personal week I have had of tragedy and sadness, I need it. I will listen to American Soul if I get a chance, but if I don't...Dec 1 it is

I also think this place needs a little more story telling of what U2 means to you, moments about the band or songs that had impact to parts of your life or incidents in your life involving songs, etc. There seems to be a lot of domination by a few, a lot of attack of those who have made mistakes in the past in how they presented themselves to the point of being jumped on every comment, inside jokes...all this shit happens on every board in the world, but man...I bet there are some great stories out there about this stuff, and I am sure there are more appropriate threads, but this site is, to be honest, a nightmare to navigate outside of the list of currently hot threads. I would love to hear more about why this album means something to you, if it does, why U2 means something. If bananas are in the story, fine.

It's just the idea of that kind of exchange that drives me to open this window...that, and to keep up with the US Politics thread, where I am far more active because the exchange is real, not dominated or insider handshake time. And the people who are those "insiders" seem, to me, to be really fucking interesting people. I want to know a lot more about that core...there are some amazing opinions about music among that group. Would love to see it applied to U2, maybe sprinkled with origin stories to explain excitement for the new album. I know...this is NOT an American Soul thread topic...I am speaking cross lines, I guess.

I can just barely tolerate the idea of this song as a throwaway track on the album. I really hope it doesn't make the live show. But since it's a rocker, it will probably occupy the slot Boots did on the 360 tour.

I can just barely tolerate the idea of this song as a throwaway track on the album. I really hope it doesn't make the live show. But since it's a rocker, it will probably occupy the slot Boots did on the 360 tour.
I'm still hoping they remove it altogether. Or at least replace the vocals with a new set written and barked by Larry.

'Fuck off and die.'

Back
Top Bottom