Amazon.com reviews...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
This album is getting SLATED over there, even the comments underneath the review slate the album, yet i look here and other forums and see many U2 fans listing it in their top 5, so whats happening?

it's not as instant as the last two albums. plus, there are a lot of stupid people our there.

And even so, who really cares what other people think. If you like it yourself, what does it matter?

OMG its PoP II! oh wait a minute...i liked PoP...a lot!!

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. And some people have more than one. And further still, some people are one.
~IMHO... Garrison, Mrs.

OMG its PoP II! oh wait a minute...i liked PoP...a lot!!

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. And some people have more than one. And further still, some people are one.
~IMHO... Garrison, Mrs.

I tend to have all of them at once. :D

And even so, who really cares what other people think. If you like it yourself, what does it matter?

For me though, that's not really the point...of course just because it receives bad reviews somewhere doesn't mean I'm going to start hating the record...but bad reviews turn other potential fans away, and that's what pisses me off....my love for U2 goes beyond simply my connection with the band....I want as many people as possible to become fans and appreciate the music as well....as is the case for many others too I'm sure...so seeing bad reviews on Amazon.com, for example, still pisses me off, even though it has no direct affect on how I feel about NLOTH.

I remember a lot of positive reviews on my local Amazon site (I also wrote one of them) and a couple of negative ones of people who simply didn't "get" the album. There was one guy who complained bitterly that he didn't understand Fez - Being Born. He was like: OMG, what were U2 thinking? :lol:
Now that's certainly not something I'm worried about.

NLOTH is def. not an album that a casual U2 would enjoy. These are not the songs along the line of 'Beautiful Day' which was so radio friendly.
But I have stopped worrying about what other people think.... if I listened to the music that was popular and was buying albums that are in the top 10 then I would be listening to crap music, so.....

I don't know anyone personally who loves the album, including myself (most of my friends are HUGE U2 fans).

The only place it is lauded seems to be here. I like the record OK, but IMO, it is the first U2 album that is not a "great record." It doesn't surprise me at all that it is not connecting outside of this forum. The accessible songs seem too easy, and the rest of the album seems unfinished and tired with an emphasis on production effects rather than great songwriting.

I feel the real problem with the record is that nothing "soars" in the signature U2 sense. The one song that attempts that is Magnificent, but even that has feels tired (it TANKED on rdaio)--add to that the two worst songs they've ever done: Crazy and SUC--Horrible lyrics...and you have NLOTH not connecting.

I don't know anyone personally who loves the album, including myself (most of my friends are HUGE U2 fans).

The only place it is lauded seems to be here. I like the record OK, but IMO, it is the first U2 album that is not a "great record." It doesn't surprise me at all that it is not connecting outside of this forum. The accessible songs seem too easy, and the rest of the album seems unfinished and tired with an emphasis on production effects rather than great songwriting.

I feel the real problem with the record is that nothing "soars" in the signature U2 sense. The one song that attempts that is Magnificent, but even that has feels tired (it TANKED on rdaio)--add to that the two worst songs they've ever done: Crazy and SUC--Horrible lyrics...and you have NLOTH not connecting.

Sorry i disagree with everything you just said, its lauded on pretty much every U2 forum i visit, i love this "my friends dont like it" thing that happens, and is it your opinion that they are the two of the worst of a matter of fact? i find it hard to tell.

I also just noticed you rank HTDAAB above along with ATYCLB, the 2 albums that getting slagged off pretty heavily on this forum,

A lot of U2 albums get bad reviews from people, Bomb was attacked too. NLOTH is rated U2's second worst on rateyourmusic, between Bomb and Pop. They've always had their haters

I feel the real problem with the record is that nothing "soars" in the signature U2 sense. The one song that attempts that is Magnificent, but even that has feels tired .

you know I thought the same thing...i don't know if mag feels tired but you are right about 'soaring"...the album has some good moments, just not some of their best work.

you know I thought the same thing...i don't know if mag feels tired but you are right about 'soaring"...the album has some good moments, just not some of their best work.

well said--again, it is a decent record, but falls way short for U2--I rank it at the bottom of the post JT era (by a lot). It is the one album I do not rank as at least "great."

Again is this opinion or fact? to me magnificent soars, as is fez-being born IMO, and again IMO it IS some of their best work, the thing that gets my goat about the reviews, and the reason i started the thread is that the people who dont like it always seem to think their opinion is the most valid.

This album is getting SLATED over there, even the comments underneath the review slate the album, yet i look here and other forums and see many U2 fans listing it in their top 5, so whats happening?

It's real simple it was a coordinated effort on the part of a number of assholes to bring the album's rating down....I went to the amazon.com website a couple of months back when a friend of mine told me the same thing you posted ...that the album was getting slammed....I read the so-called "reviews" a number of people who slammed the album didnt even have an amazon account prior to "reviewing" the album...so you know then and there what their intentions are.....some reviews dont mention anything about the album....it's obvious the idiots haven't even heard it....all they just want to do is slam U2

Other people who "reviewed" the album....say things like "I used to be a big
U2 fan but this new album stinks"...blah,blah,blah....they you click on their account,see all their 100 or so favorite albums reviewed and there is not a single U2 album on there...so you know they are full of shit

Finally of course you do get legitimate bad reviews from people who for one reason or another dont like No Line On The Horizon...and that's fine...they actually have given good reviews to other U2 albums...so you know it's not spam but the legitimate negative reviews of NLOTH have been overwhelmed with spam bullshit...dragging the album's overall rating down...and that is a fact.

I do not see anyone assert their opinion is fact--that is what IMO is. Also, my friends are big U2 fans--seems as if you are dismissing their opinion while accusing others of dismissing yours>?

Pop is my favorite U2 record--There are many reasons that record is misunderstood, and most of it has nothing to do with the songs on the record. Every board on every topic in the universe is based on people's opinions--who is saying people's posts are facts? As for NLOTH, the songs just aren't there, IMO.

I do not see anyone assert their opinion is fact--that is what IMO is. Also, my friends are big U2 fans--seems as if you are dismissing their opinion while accusing others of dismissing yours>?

Pop is my favorite U2 record--There are many reasons that record is misunderstood, and most of it has nothing to do with the songs on the record. Every board on every topic in the universe is based on people's opinions--who is saying people's posts are facts? As for NLOTH, the songs just aren't there, IMO.

Great point...I happen to think NLOTH is as misunderstood as POP is...but we'll agree to disagree

Curious to see what you mean by NLOTH being misunderstood. Pop was misunderstood because it got into the ether that it was a "dance" record, which it is not. Discotheque really messed with the overall impression of the record (even though it is a good song minus the song title). I could teach a class on that record--Discotheque, DYFL, SATS, Gone, LNOE, Please are all CLASSICS, IMO. With those songs, I feel I could convince anyone who "likes" U2 that it is a great record. I LOVE the production on the album as it really lends itself to the songs--not just random bleeps and bloops scotch taped together (and I am a HUGE Eno/Lanois fan). I also find Pop to be lyrically brilliant.

I do not think NLOTH has anything close to the "baggage" Pop had surrounding its release. You could say GOYB--but, IMO, GOYB last two minutes (from LMITS on) is one of the best moments on the record (but overall, it is a weak song). But when you dig deeper, the songs aren't there. They're all good/very good songs (except Crazy, SUC and the sleeping pill, WAS), but for the most part they are lyrically pathetic/embarrassing (sexy boots), and none of the songs really "build and soar" which IMO is the hallmark of any great U2 song. I literally LOVE evry song on Pop.

What do you think is misunderstood about NLOTH?

Curious to see what you mean by NLOTH being misunderstood. Pop was misunderstood because it got into the ether that it was a "dance" record, which it is not. Discotheque really messed with the overall impression of the record (even though it is a good song minus the song title). I could teach a class on that record--Discotheque, DYFL, SATS, Gone, LNOE, Please are all CLASSICS, IMO. With those songs, I feel I could convince anyone who "likes" U2 that it is a great record. I LOVE the production on the album as it really lends itself to the songs--not just random bleeps and bloops scotch taped together (and I am a HUGE Eno/Lanois fan). I also find Pop to be lyrically brilliant.

I do not think NLOTH has anything close to the "baggage" Pop had surrounding its release. You could say GOYB--but, IMO, GOYB last two minutes (from LMITS on) is one of the best moments on the record (but overall, it is a weak song). But when you dig deeper, the songs aren't there. They're all good/very good songs (except Crazy, SUC and the sleeping pill, WAS), but for the most part they are lyrically pathetic/embarrassing (sexy boots), and none of the songs really "build and soar" which IMO is the hallmark of any great U2 song. I literally LOVE evry song on Pop.

What do you think is misunderstood about NLOTH?

Sure...I'll explain and btw I am totally in agreement with you on POP...to me a superb record,hands down.
Maybe misunderstood is the wrong word I probably could have said misconstrued instead (same difference)...what I mean is that there is this perception about NLOTH that because the last two U2 albums had the big single (BD,Vertigo) that somehow NLOTH is a weaker album than the previous two.....and so it is getting this bad rap of being a disappointment.

Like many people on this board I don't measure an album's success by how much it sells,but rather the fan response to it.NLOTH might be a less commercialized sounding album than the previous two...I think that can only be a good thing.I am almost positive I saw a quote from Bono about NLOTH was released where he was asked about the feel of the new album and he said something like "Its different,we're not ready to move into adult contemporary just yet"

I understood that and was very happy to hear that quote because I felt that is exactly where U2 went musically with Bomb and ATYCLB.....right to adult contempoary stations.NLOTH was not a revolutionary record by any means but after the last two bland albums it was a step in the right direction but somehow has been lost by radio and print and tv media...whether we like it or not they affect how the general public see things

As far as NLOTH goes I'll give you GOYB which to me is a great song...if Vertigo was never released...and that's the problem it sounded to much like Vertigo part II and I think Magnificent suffered from it being the first single but otherwise I hear a song like Unknown Caller or MOS and I think....it doesnt get any better than this musically or lyrically

Back
Top Bottom