Amazon.com reviews... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
War Child
 
BGD75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Germany
Posts: 745
Local Time: 09:54 AM
NLOTH is def. not an album that a casual U2 would enjoy. These are not the songs along the line of 'Beautiful Day' which was so radio friendly.
But I have stopped worrying about what other people think.... if I listened to the music that was popular and was buying albums that are in the top 10 then I would be listening to crap music, so.....
__________________

__________________
BGD75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,949
Local Time: 06:24 PM
Who gives a damn?
__________________

__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #18
Refugee
 
Super Yo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Posts: 2,385
Local Time: 07:54 AM
Kill em all
__________________
Super Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,311
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Yo View Post
Kill em all
Good album
__________________
Aardvark747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #20
War Child
 
ultraviolet353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 507
Local Time: 12:54 AM
I don't know anyone personally who loves the album, including myself (most of my friends are HUGE U2 fans).

The only place it is lauded seems to be here. I like the record OK, but IMO, it is the first U2 album that is not a "great record." It doesn't surprise me at all that it is not connecting outside of this forum. The accessible songs seem too easy, and the rest of the album seems unfinished and tired with an emphasis on production effects rather than great songwriting.

I feel the real problem with the record is that nothing "soars" in the signature U2 sense. The one song that attempts that is Magnificent, but even that has feels tired (it TANKED on rdaio)--add to that the two worst songs they've ever done: Crazy and SUC--Horrible lyrics...and you have NLOTH not connecting.
__________________
ultraviolet353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,195
Local Time: 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet353 View Post
I don't know anyone personally who loves the album, including myself (most of my friends are HUGE U2 fans).

The only place it is lauded seems to be here. I like the record OK, but IMO, it is the first U2 album that is not a "great record." It doesn't surprise me at all that it is not connecting outside of this forum. The accessible songs seem too easy, and the rest of the album seems unfinished and tired with an emphasis on production effects rather than great songwriting.

I feel the real problem with the record is that nothing "soars" in the signature U2 sense. The one song that attempts that is Magnificent, but even that has feels tired (it TANKED on rdaio)--add to that the two worst songs they've ever done: Crazy and SUC--Horrible lyrics...and you have NLOTH not connecting.
Sorry i disagree with everything you just said, its lauded on pretty much every U2 forum i visit, i love this "my friends dont like it" thing that happens, and is it your opinion that they are the two of the worst of a matter of fact? i find it hard to tell.

I also just noticed you rank HTDAAB above along with ATYCLB, the 2 albums that getting slagged off pretty heavily on this forum,
__________________
KUEFC09U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict
 
Irishteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 29,624
Local Time: 08:54 AM
A lot of U2 albums get bad reviews from people, Bomb was attacked too. NLOTH is rated U2's second worst on rateyourmusic, between Bomb and Pop. They've always had their haters
__________________
Irishteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Swan269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: HawkMoon
Posts: 3,694
Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet353 View Post

I feel the real problem with the record is that nothing "soars" in the signature U2 sense. The one song that attempts that is Magnificent, but even that has feels tired .

you know I thought the same thing...i don't know if mag feels tired but you are right about 'soaring"...the album has some good moments, just not some of their best work.
__________________
Swan269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #24
War Child
 
ultraviolet353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 507
Local Time: 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan269 View Post
you know I thought the same thing...i don't know if mag feels tired but you are right about 'soaring"...the album has some good moments, just not some of their best work.
well said--again, it is a decent record, but falls way short for U2--I rank it at the bottom of the post JT era (by a lot). It is the one album I do not rank as at least "great."
__________________
ultraviolet353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,195
Local Time: 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan269 View Post
you know I thought the same thing...i don't know if mag feels tired but you are right about 'soaring"...the album has some good moments, just not some of their best work.
Again is this opinion or fact? to me magnificent soars, as is fez-being born IMO, and again IMO it IS some of their best work, the thing that gets my goat about the reviews, and the reason i started the thread is that the people who dont like it always seem to think their opinion is the most valid.
__________________
KUEFC09U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #26
War Child
 
buzzkill27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 664
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
This album is getting SLATED over there, even the comments underneath the review slate the album, yet i look here and other forums and see many U2 fans listing it in their top 5, so whats happening?
It's real simple it was a coordinated effort on the part of a number of assholes to bring the album's rating down....I went to the amazon.com website a couple of months back when a friend of mine told me the same thing you posted ...that the album was getting slammed....I read the so-called "reviews" a number of people who slammed the album didnt even have an amazon account prior to "reviewing" the album...so you know then and there what their intentions are.....some reviews dont mention anything about the album....it's obvious the idiots haven't even heard it....all they just want to do is slam U2

Other people who "reviewed" the album....say things like "I used to be a big
U2 fan but this new album stinks"...blah,blah,blah....they you click on their account,see all their 100 or so favorite albums reviewed and there is not a single U2 album on there...so you know they are full of shit

Finally of course you do get legitimate bad reviews from people who for one reason or another dont like No Line On The Horizon...and that's fine...they actually have given good reviews to other U2 albums...so you know it's not spam but the legitimate negative reviews of NLOTH have been overwhelmed with spam bullshit...dragging the album's overall rating down...and that is a fact.
__________________
buzzkill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #27
War Child
 
ultraviolet353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 507
Local Time: 12:54 AM
I do not see anyone assert their opinion is fact--that is what IMO is. Also, my friends are big U2 fans--seems as if you are dismissing their opinion while accusing others of dismissing yours>?

Pop is my favorite U2 record--There are many reasons that record is misunderstood, and most of it has nothing to do with the songs on the record. Every board on every topic in the universe is based on people's opinions--who is saying people's posts are facts? As for NLOTH, the songs just aren't there, IMO.
__________________
ultraviolet353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #28
War Child
 
buzzkill27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 664
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet353 View Post
I do not see anyone assert their opinion is fact--that is what IMO is. Also, my friends are big U2 fans--seems as if you are dismissing their opinion while accusing others of dismissing yours>?

Pop is my favorite U2 record--There are many reasons that record is misunderstood, and most of it has nothing to do with the songs on the record. Every board on every topic in the universe is based on people's opinions--who is saying people's posts are facts? As for NLOTH, the songs just aren't there, IMO.
Great point...I happen to think NLOTH is as misunderstood as POP is...but we'll agree to disagree
__________________
buzzkill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #29
War Child
 
ultraviolet353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 507
Local Time: 12:54 AM
Curious to see what you mean by NLOTH being misunderstood. Pop was misunderstood because it got into the ether that it was a "dance" record, which it is not. Discotheque really messed with the overall impression of the record (even though it is a good song minus the song title). I could teach a class on that record--Discotheque, DYFL, SATS, Gone, LNOE, Please are all CLASSICS, IMO. With those songs, I feel I could convince anyone who "likes" U2 that it is a great record. I LOVE the production on the album as it really lends itself to the songs--not just random bleeps and bloops scotch taped together (and I am a HUGE Eno/Lanois fan). I also find Pop to be lyrically brilliant.

I do not think NLOTH has anything close to the "baggage" Pop had surrounding its release. You could say GOYB--but, IMO, GOYB last two minutes (from LMITS on) is one of the best moments on the record (but overall, it is a weak song). But when you dig deeper, the songs aren't there. They're all good/very good songs (except Crazy, SUC and the sleeping pill, WAS), but for the most part they are lyrically pathetic/embarrassing (sexy boots), and none of the songs really "build and soar" which IMO is the hallmark of any great U2 song. I literally LOVE evry song on Pop.

What do you think is misunderstood about NLOTH?
__________________
ultraviolet353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #30
War Child
 
buzzkill27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 664
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet353 View Post
Curious to see what you mean by NLOTH being misunderstood. Pop was misunderstood because it got into the ether that it was a "dance" record, which it is not. Discotheque really messed with the overall impression of the record (even though it is a good song minus the song title). I could teach a class on that record--Discotheque, DYFL, SATS, Gone, LNOE, Please are all CLASSICS, IMO. With those songs, I feel I could convince anyone who "likes" U2 that it is a great record. I LOVE the production on the album as it really lends itself to the songs--not just random bleeps and bloops scotch taped together (and I am a HUGE Eno/Lanois fan). I also find Pop to be lyrically brilliant.

I do not think NLOTH has anything close to the "baggage" Pop had surrounding its release. You could say GOYB--but, IMO, GOYB last two minutes (from LMITS on) is one of the best moments on the record (but overall, it is a weak song). But when you dig deeper, the songs aren't there. They're all good/very good songs (except Crazy, SUC and the sleeping pill, WAS), but for the most part they are lyrically pathetic/embarrassing (sexy boots), and none of the songs really "build and soar" which IMO is the hallmark of any great U2 song. I literally LOVE evry song on Pop.

What do you think is misunderstood about NLOTH?
Sure...I'll explain and btw I am totally in agreement with you on POP...to me a superb record,hands down.
Maybe misunderstood is the wrong word I probably could have said misconstrued instead (same difference)...what I mean is that there is this perception about NLOTH that because the last two U2 albums had the big single (BD,Vertigo) that somehow NLOTH is a weaker album than the previous two.....and so it is getting this bad rap of being a disappointment.

Like many people on this board I don't measure an album's success by how much it sells,but rather the fan response to it.NLOTH might be a less commercialized sounding album than the previous two...I think that can only be a good thing.I am almost positive I saw a quote from Bono about NLOTH was released where he was asked about the feel of the new album and he said something like "Its different,we're not ready to move into adult contemporary just yet"

I understood that and was very happy to hear that quote because I felt that is exactly where U2 went musically with Bomb and ATYCLB.....right to adult contempoary stations.NLOTH was not a revolutionary record by any means but after the last two bland albums it was a step in the right direction but somehow has been lost by radio and print and tv media...whether we like it or not they affect how the general public see things

As far as NLOTH goes I'll give you GOYB which to me is a great song...if Vertigo was never released...and that's the problem it sounded to much like Vertigo part II and I think Magnificent suffered from it being the first single but otherwise I hear a song like Unknown Caller or MOS and I think....it doesnt get any better than this musically or lyrically
__________________

__________________
buzzkill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon.com Reviews Yahweh Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience 13 02-24-2009 04:02 AM
N.A. Radio Play by Format, Billboard, & Video charts for Week 30 beLIEve Peeling off those Dollar Bills 12 06-25-2005 11:21 AM
N.A. Radio Play by Format, Billboard, & Video charts for Week 25 beLIEve Peeling off those Dollar Bills 40 06-03-2005 06:20 AM
Bono was wrong! xrayjohn General Tour Discussions 26 05-23-2005 04:34 AM
Amazon.Com reviews RademR Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 6 11-19-2004 09:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com