Am I missing something?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
Looking at the chart positions of U2 singles in the history of their career.... from Boy to NLOTH, all the singles from those albums have a chart position.

But no single from SOI has a chart position. Why is this? Did they just fail to chart? Or were they not properly released into the charts? (And if not, why not?)

Well everyone who has itunes got it for Free. So there was no point for many people to buy the album if they already got all the songs for free.

Which means it wont chart aswell. As alot of people allready had all the songs.

People have to buy singles for it to chart. This had a flow on effect and meant cause the songs were not on the charts meant very little radio play.

Good point about the album being for free as a reason for people not to buy the singles.

Is this what actually happened then? (I know the album was free, I mean, were the singles actually released properly to buy then)?

Or were the singles simply not available for sale?

I think the singles did make the "lesser" charts ( Adult Alternative/Adult Contemporary/Adult Hot Rock/Adult Hotter Rock/Adult Disco/Adult Punk Rock).

Because the album, songs and singles were strictly commercials for the tour

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well everyone who has itunes got it for Free. So there was no point for many people to buy the album if they already got all the songs for free.

The deluxe edition was available for sale via physical release 5 weeks after the album was released for free via iTunes. The enticement there was obviously the bonus and acoustic tracks. Plus, you get to see that great album cover. :wink:

But, yes, this time around, I don't believe there was physical release of a single with B-sides or alternate versions. I always used to look forward to that.

The deluxe edition was available for sale via physical release 5 weeks after the album was released for free via iTunes. The enticement there was obviously the bonus and acoustic tracks. Plus, you get to see that great album cover. :wink:

But, yes, this time around, I don't believe there was physical release of a single with B-sides or alternate versions. I always used to look forward to that.
Oh right, I still need to buy that one...

I never got the free version, mostly because I don't use Apple products. I did buy the Japanese version of the Deluxe Edition; since it had Invisible as an actual separate track, and included The Crystal Ballroom 12" Mix on the second disc. Expensive to import though, so not really worth it for most people.

Back
Top Bottom