Alternate Tracklist SOI - Incl Bonus Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
So, what is your alternate tracklist? Do you add the new songs, or do you replace any songs with them? Do you keep the original songs, but play them in a different order? Here's mine:

01. Lucifer's Hands - (I think they were really wanting this to open, but just didn't quite get there)
02. The Miracle - (actually flows quite well after LH)
03. Invisible - (as others have said, goes well after Miracle. I don't love how it goes into EBW though)
04. Iris - (I like the fade in following the Invisible outro)
05. Volcano - (has to stay after Iris, thematically and sonically)
06. Raised by Wolves - (like the original flow)
07. Every Breaking Wave - (sounds great after RBW)
08. California - (have to keep the flow with the waves > bells)
09. Song for Someone - (again, good original positioning after California)
10. The Crystal Ballroom - (it is hard to fit in, the start is a bit jarring in any position, but this works best)
11. Sleep Like a Baby - (sounds great after TCB)
12. TIWYCRMN - (original positioning after SLABT is perfect)
13. Cedarwood Road - (works in the way Breathe did, late rocker to pick the pace up)
14. The Troubles - (great closer, except)
15. SLABT (AP mix) - (appears as a reprisal, complete the story. I love the idea of both songs appearing).

1. The Miracle

2. Every Breaking Wave

3. California

4. Song For Someone

5. Iris

6. Invisible

7. Raised By Wolves

8. Cedarwood Road

9. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight

10. The Crystal Ballroom

11. This Is Where You Can Reach Around

12. The Troubles

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

1. The Miracle

2. Every Breaking Wave

3. California

4. Song For Someone

5. Iris

6. Invisible

7. Raised By Wolves

8. Cedarwood Road

10. The Crystal Ballroom

12. The Troubles

Have you found that if Invisible is in there too, TCB doesn't sound as jarring in the track list? The electronic sounds of Invisible make the groove and dancey-ness of TCB sounds more in-step with the album.

I'm waiting until I get the disks to try it this way, but I want to try it like two disks. I think Cedarwood-SLABT has a nice closing vibe to it like Acrobat-LIB, but of course it's then surpassed by the closing TIWYCRMN-Troubles. So making it like two disks gives Cedarwood-SLABT closing status, albeit on disk 1. Not sure Crystal Ballroom is in the right place though.

Disk 1
Miracle
EBW
California
Song for Someone
Lucifer's Hands
Cedarwood Road
SLABT

Disk 2
Invisible
Iris
Volcano
Raised by Wolves
Crystal Ballroom
TIWYCRMN
Troubles

So far this is what I've done

11711-albums389-picture2991.jpg

CB coming after Miracle, actually makes me like Miracle more because it makes it feel less like a "usual lead single" tacked on.
With the addition of it there, it makes the first 4 tracks just killer for me.

Then, I did an edit of SLABT, where I added the falsetto part from the alternate version, which sounds much smoother to me.

This flows smoothly into Lucifer's Hands, which I also made a big edit to. I took out 40 seconds of the horrible bridge that kills the full version of the song. It completely changes the whole flow of the song and makes it about 95% better.

And that for some reason feels better going into This is Where, than SLAB does on the original tracking.

1) Cedarwood Road
2) The Miracle
3) Invisible
4) This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
5) Every Breaking Wave
6) California
7) Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
8) Iris
9) Song For Someone
10) The Crystal Ballroom
11) Raised By Wolves
12) The Troubles

- Cedarwood Road is only my 7th or 8th favorite, but I think it makes a decent opener. And it really flows well into The Miracle, musically and thematically
- no Lucifer's Hands
- none of the acoustic or alternate versions (except the extended Invisible)
- I'd want the album to be 12 songs, and that leaves 13, so I'd reluctantly get rid of Volcano. It's not my least favorite (that would be SLABT) but it was the hardest to find a good spot for

Have you found that if Invisible is in there too, TCB doesn't sound as jarring in the track list? The electronic sounds of Invisible make the groove and dancey-ness of TCB sounds more in-step with the album.

Absolutely. It does. Invisible is perfect after Iris, great transition. Raised By Wolves flows really well after Invisible as well. It creates a really nice track order from 6-12. A good mix of rock with a slight hint of electro and Danger Mouse.

I felt a little bad taking Volcano out but I didn't want to go over 12 songs and there's enough rock with tracks 1, 7 and 8.

Bringing this over from Mikal's alternate tracklist thread.

My custom SoI:

Miracle
Every Breaking Wave
California
Invisible
Song For Someone
Iris
Lucifer's Hands
Volcano
Crystal Ballroom
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood Road
The Troubles
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight

Lucifer/Volcano/Crystal in a row will turn everyone into massive Adam fans. Fair warning. He kills it. :rockon:
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

1. Invisible
2. EBW
3. California
4. SFS
5. Iris
6. The Crystal Ballroom
7. RBW
8. Cedarwood
9. Sleep Like a Baby
10. Ordinary Love
11. The Troubles

Figured this has a nice lil flow to it:

1. This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
2. Invisible (Bonus Disc version)
3. Every Breaking Wave
4. Song for Someone
5. The Miracle
6. Volcano
7. California
8. Iris
9. Raised by Wolves
10. Cedarwood Rood
11. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
12. The Troubles

1. The Miracle

2. Every Breaking Wave

3. California

4. Song For Someone

5. Iris

6. Invisible

7. Raised By Wolves

8. Cedarwood Road

10. The Crystal Ballroom

12. The Troubles

Slight edit. The Crystal Ballroom actually fits better after Reach Around, not before it.

Invisible (Album version)
The Miracle
Every Breaking Wave
Ordinary Love
California
Song for Someone
Iris
Volcano
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
The Troubles
Lucifer's Hands
The Crystal Ballroom
Every Breaking Wave (acoustic)
California (acoustic)
Cedarwood Road (acoustic)
Raised By Wolves (acoustic)
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (alt) (For now, including Invisible again, but when I get an edited track, I'll sub in that.)
Song for Someone (acoustic)
The Miracle (acoustic)
The Troubles (alternative)
The Crystal Ballroom (12")

The Palatable Version:

1. The Crystal Ballroom
2. Every Breaking Wave
3. California (There Is No End To Love)
4. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
5. Invisible
6. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
7. The Troubles

The All-Killer, No Filler Version:

A-Side: The Crystal Ballroom
B-Side: California (There Is No End To Love)

I'm reposting this from...elsewhere on the forum:

Can somebody give me a legitimate reason how EBW would ever work in the #2 slot? It's an atmospheric (until the PLEASE PLAY ME ON THE RADIO chorus) breakup song, and that's like putting With Or Without You or So Cruel in the same position.

I feel like the band put it there because that's where they think singles are supposed to go, and Song For Someone was too stripped down/delicate for such an early appearance.

To my mind, it would work better right before Iris, where you'd have a two-song run about loss/crisis before Volcano, which Bono described as the release of the post-tragedy energy. And they sound cut from the same cloth, as opposed to the other songs they're currently surrounded by. Not sure how EBW meshes with The Miracle or California, sonically or thematically. Keep in mind it was written before Jimmy Iovine's advice to start writing about their roots. I'm really not sure it even belongs on the album but it doesn't bother me enough to cut it. For now.

So, what is your alternate tracklist? Do you add the new songs, or do you replace any songs with them? Do you keep the original songs, but play them in a different order? Here's mine:

01. Lucifer's Hands - (I think they were really wanting this to open, but just didn't quite get there)

02. The Miracle - (actually flows quite well after LH)

03. Invisible - (as others have said, goes well after Miracle. I don't love how it goes into EBW though)

04. Iris - (I like the fade in following the Invisible outro)

05. Volcano - (has to stay after Iris, thematically and sonically)

06. Raised by Wolves - (like the original flow)

07. Every Breaking Wave - (sounds great after RBW)

08. California - (have to keep the flow with the waves > bells)

09. Song for Someone - (again, good original positioning after California)

10. The Crystal Ballroom - (it is hard to fit in, the start is a bit jarring in any position, but this works best)

11. Sleep Like a Baby - (sounds great after TCB)

12. TIWYCRMN - (original positioning after SLABT is perfect)

13. Cedarwood Road - (works in the way Breathe did, late rocker to pick the pace up)

14. The Troubles - (great closer, except)

15. SLABT (AP mix) - (appears as a reprisal, complete the story. I love the idea of both songs appearing).

I agree with your list song for song.

Except, I'd do the acoustic versions of EBW and probably Raised By Wolves. Acoustic EBW is unbelievable, better than the polished version which is still a very good song, but that acoustic version is just untouchable. Hope they play it that way live.

1. The Miracle
2. Invisible (edit version)
3. Every Breaking Wave (acoustic sessions)
4. Iris
5. Song For Someone
6. Volcano
7. The Crystal Ballroom
8. Raised By Wolves
9. Cedarwood Road
10. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
11. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
12. The Troubles

1 - Invisible
2 - EBW
3 - California
4 - SFS
5 - Iris
6 - Volcano
7 - Wolves
8 - Cedarwood Road
9 - Lucifer's Hands
10 - SLABT
11 - TIWYCRMN
12 - The Troubles

Edit: Actually I'm not sure Lucifer's Hands quite qualifies for a place on the album - as much as I enjoy it. Feels a little unfinished. However, Invisible really should of been on there.

I'm reposting this from...elsewhere on the forum:

Can somebody give me a legitimate reason how EBW would ever work in the #2 slot? It's an atmospheric (until the PLEASE PLAY ME ON THE RADIO chorus) breakup song, and that's like putting With Or Without You or So Cruel in the same position.

I feel like the band put it there because that's where they think singles are supposed to go, and Song For Someone was too stripped down/delicate for such an early appearance.

To my mind, it would work better right before Iris, where you'd have a two-song run about loss/crisis before Volcano, which Bono described as the release of the post-tragedy energy. And they sound cut from the same cloth, as opposed to the other songs they're currently surrounded by. Not sure how EBW meshes with The Miracle or California, sonically or thematically. Keep in mind it was written before Jimmy Iovine's advice to start writing about their roots. I'm really not sure it even belongs on the album but it doesn't bother me enough to cut it. For now.

:applaud: I thought I was the only one disliking the BIG CHORUS on EBW following that nice, atmospheric verse...I think the "Baby every dog on the street" etc is good enough on its own as a chorus without the If you go! part.

While SFS is somewhat also guilty of shoving a big chorus into a delicate song, at least it seems to work.

That said, my issue is that the gap between first 3 singles! and the rest, different material which repeats itself when This is where you can reach me now appears, doesn't fit between the dark teritorry of SLABT/Troubles.

But more than anything Invisible, the song about going to London/spiting Bob Hewson (would be nice to have songs about both of Bono's parents on a record all about U2 reminiscing of their beginnings) should have opened instead of the Ramones tune (that fails to sound anything like Ramones).

I've been listening to this alternate tracklist for sometime and I find it works oh so well! Makes a great album even stronger!! Invisible takes on a new life between California and SFS. Lucifer's hands darker feel makes a great 1, 2 punch with Raised by wolves and serves as a great buffer between volcano and raised by wolves. The Crystal Ballroom fits best after TIWYCRMN because of it's lighter feel and unpolished lyrics and makes for a nice contrast and intro to the bleaker Troubles. Ordinary love is a better album cut than it ever was a single. The album closes the way it begins (sort of) with EBW from the acoustic sessions. I find it puts everything into focus, an album of great songs!

1. The Miracle
2. Every Breaking Wave
3. California
4. Invisible (RED edit)
5. Song For Someone
6. Iris
7. Volcano
8. Lucifer's hands
9. Raised By Wolves
10. Cedarwood Road
12. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
13. The Crystal Ballroom
14. The Troubles
15. Ordinary love
16. Every Breaking Wave (acoustic sessions)

The Miracle
Invisible
Every Breaking Wave
California
Song For Someone
Iris
Lucifer's Hands
Volcano
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like A Baby
The Crystal Ballroom
The Troubles

That said, my issue is that the gap between first 3 singles! and the rest, different material which repeats itself when This is where you can reach me now appears, doesn't fit between the dark teritorry of SLABT/Troubles.

But more than anything Invisible, the song about going to London/spiting Bob Hewson (would be nice to have songs about both of Bono's parents on a record all about U2 reminiscing of their beginnings) should have opened instead of the Ramones tune (that fails to sound anything like Ramones).

My in-progress track order bumps This Is Where further up, so that problem should be alleviated.

I go back and forth on Invisible as an opener. Yes, thematically it's a good start to the story. I guess my problem is that this is a fairly poppy album overall, and opening it with a fairly atmospheric (and Kraftwerk-inspired) song is perhaps a bit misrepresentative of what's to follow.

Fuck that! I love the chorus! :heart:

i love that chorus too.

However, i wouldn't be opposed to the song being in the #3 slot flipping places with California. Or something like that.

I'm not trying to argue over the merits of the chorus (though I'm not a fan), but more that the opening of the song and the verses are too moody for that early on the album. It's so weird coming right after The Miracle.

1 Lucifer's Hands
2 The Miracle
3 Song for Someone
4 Iris
5 Volcano
6 EBW (acoustic)
7 California
8 Raised By Wolves (acoustic)
9 Cedarwood Road
10 The Troubles
11 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
12 The Crystal Ballroom
13 Sleep Like A Baby
14 Invisible

I've been listening to this alternate tracklist for sometime and I find it works oh so well! Makes a great album even stronger!! Invisible takes on a new life between California and SFS. Lucifer's hands darker feel makes a great 1, 2 punch with Raised by wolves and serves as a great buffer between volcano and raised by wolves. The Crystal Ballroom fits best after TIWYCRMN because of it's lighter feel and unpolished lyrics and makes for a nice contrast and intro to the bleaker Troubles. Ordinary love is a better album cut than it ever was a single. The album closes the way it begins (sort of) with EBW from the acoustic sessions. I find it puts everything into focus, an album of great songs!

1. The Miracle
2. Every Breaking Wave
3. California
4. Invisible (RED edit)
5. Song For Someone
6. Iris
7. Volcano
8. Lucifer's hands
9. Raised By Wolves
10. Cedarwood Road
12. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
13. The Crystal Ballroom
14. The Troubles
15. Ordinary love
16. Every Breaking Wave (acoustic sessions)

You may have something there.

The Miracle
Invisible
Every Breaking Wave
California
Song For Someone
Iris
Lucifer's Hands
Volcano
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like A Baby
The Crystal Ballroom
The Troubles

I'm not trying to argue over the merits of the chorus (though I'm not a fan), but more that the opening of the song and the verses are too moody for that early on the album. It's so weird coming right after The Miracle.

I see what you are saying. I like JUSTinPUSHPLAY's tracklist i quoted above, though even there i might switch California and Every Breaking Wave.

Of course i should add i still haven't heard Lucifer's Hands or Crystal Ballroom yet.

Crystal Ballroom at #1??

So many people seem to be arranging these based on sonics alone, and that just doesn't work for me. Especially with an album that has a clear concept of revisiting a certain period in time.

A song about a fantasy of Bono's parents dancing together after his mother has died makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in that spot. "We are the ghosts of love" is just not something you lead an album off with.

And I'm automatically disqualifying anything that has The Miracle --> EBW (and there are many). A transition that has no justification sonically or thematically.

Back
Top Bottom