Alternate Tracklist SOI - Incl Bonus Tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 Lucifer's Hands
2 The Miracle
3 Every Breaking Wave
4 California
5 Cedarwood Road
6 Song For Someone
7 Iris
8 Volcano
9 Raised By Wolves
10 The Troubles
11 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
12 Crystal Ballroom
13 Sleep Like A Baby
14 Invisible

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just slid the Ordinary Love (Epworth mix) into the 3 slot, moved Volcano right after, and dropped Cedarwood Road to #9. New playlist:

1 Lucifer's Hands
2 The Miracle
3 Ordinary Love (Epworth mix)
4 Volcano
5 EBW
6 California
7 Raised By Wolves
8 SFS
9 Iris
10 Cedarwood Road
11 The Troubles
12 Reach Me Now
13 Crystal Ballroom
14 Sleep Like A Baby
15 Invisible (SLABT alt. as hidden track)

Ordinary Love doesn't fit with the album. It was written specifically for Mandela, not the autobiographical Songs of Innocence.

1. Invisible
2. Every Breaking Wave
3. The Crystal Ballroom
4. Song For Someone
5. Iris
6. Volcano
7. Cedarwood Road
8. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
9. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
10. The Troubles

Fits comfortably on a single vinyl. Fewer annoying whoas and keening vocals.

Neither here nor there to your track listing since I haven't tried it out yet, but is Every Breaking Wave actually a break up song? I think the last line of the chorus dispels that a bit.

"Baby every dog on the street, knows we're in love with defeat
Are we ready to be swept off our feet
And stop chasing every breaking wave?"

To me, that sort of says that the couple is saying, "yeah, there's problems, but fuck it, there's something here -- let's stop chasing other things/people/ideas. The middle 8 does end with "So we end before we begin," but, the chorus suggesting that If you go your way / and that they want to be swept off our feet... just makes it seem like it's about a couple on the rocks that just tune out the rough waters/problems and just go with it.
Yeah Bono confirms as much in the booklet.

Neither here nor there to your track listing since I haven't tried it out yet, but is Every Breaking Wave actually a break up song? I think the last line of the chorus dispels that a bit.

"Baby every dog on the street, knows we're in love with defeat
Are we ready to be swept off our feet
And stop chasing every breaking wave?"

To me, that sort of says that the couple is saying, "yeah, there's problems, but fuck it, there's something here -- let's stop chasing other things/people/ideas. The middle 8 does end with "So we end before we begin," but, the chorus suggesting that If you go your way / and that they want to be swept off our feet... just makes it seem like it's about a couple on the rocks that just tune out the rough waters/problems and just go with it.

Even if that's the case, it still doesn't belong in a #2 slot before a song about a couple's first time. This is a song dealing with a relationship at a crossroads, or in some kind of rough patch. It makes no sense to put it first, especially on an autobiographical album. It doesn't make sense musically, either.

When I see people keeping it at #2 I feel like they've been conditioned to think it fits due to listening to the release version so much. But it's hard to justify from any angle.

Not to toot my own horn, but I spent a lot of time trying to arrange the songs in a way that made sense on multiple levels, and tried to explain my choices in detail. They weren't thrown together in a "hmm let's just try this" random fashion.

01. The Miracle
02. Invisible *
03. California
04. Iris
05. Volcano **
06. Raised By Wolves
07. Cedarwood Road
08. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
09. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
10. The Crystal Ballroom
11. The Troubles

* I didn't "Invisible" at first, but not only it grew on me as I think its lyrics perfectly fit on the album's aura
** I'm not a "Volcano" fan and I wanted to exclude it, but it sonically fits well between "Iris" and "Wolves"

Not a fan as well of "Every Breaking Wave" (have explained too many times why I don't like this version) and "Song For Someone". "Lucifer's Hands" is b-side material.

I'd choose, for singles:
- "The Crystal Ballroom" as a promotional-only single (maybe this one should've been played at the iPhone event instead of "The Miracle")
- "The Miracle" as 1st "true" single released now as the physical album drops out
- "Iris" - late December/early January
- "California" - March/April right before the summer
(- "This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now" promotional-only final single)

Even if that's the case, it still doesn't belong in a #2 slot before a song about a couple's first time. This is a song dealing with a relationship at a crossroads, or in some kind of rough patch. It makes no sense to put it first, especially on an autobiographical album. It doesn't make sense musically, either.

When I see people keeping it at #2 I feel like they've been conditioned to think it fits due to listening to the release version so much. But it's hard to justify from any angle.

Not to toot my own horn, but I spent a lot of time trying to arrange the songs in a way that made sense on multiple levels, and tried to explain my choices in detail. They weren't thrown together in a "hmm let's just try this" random fashion.

The lyrics, good as they are, don't belong on the album.

It would make sense if it was to be on Songs Of Experience. Musically it fits with the album though, and the album overall flows really, really well.

Yes on both points. I'll reiterate that this song was written before they were even pointed in the direction of revisiting their youth. And so it sticks out for sure. Musically it fits the album , which is why I kept it on my list. But it functions better midway into the album where it can be set in relief against the more youthful awakenings in the album's opening stretch.

Oh, no, I wasn't debating the tracklisting, just your take on the song, that's all. I haven't had time to sit down and make my own version of it yet myself, though I do think Song for Someone should definitely come before it.

Sigh. I was 14 when I first heard HTDAAB - just a kid - and I was wrapping up high school when NLOTH came out. I was obsessed with U2, don't get me wrong. But 5 years is a long time to leave people waiting. Now I'm in a completely different place in life. I've heard SOI and it doesn't grab me. Already spent too much time with it, trying to get into songs that are probably just mediocre at day's end. I'm also really tired of the "old artist looks backwards" album.

Oh well, I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer. Whoops, failed there. Let's move onto the tracklist.

I read through this thread, and I couldn't find a tracklisting that stripped away the swath of dad rock from the album's opening and kept the angrier & more Danger Mouse-influenced stuff. That's what my tracklist tries to do, basically.

1. The Crystal Ballroom (12" Mix)
2. Iris
3. Volcano
4. Raised by Wolves
5. Lucifer's Hands
6. Sleep Like a Baby
7. Cedarwood Road
8. This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
9. The Troubles

Might have included "Every Breaking Wave" if the album version was better.

FWIW this is the current order I'm going with. Subject to change. ;)

Invisible (long version)
Lucifer’s Hands
The Miracle
California
Song For Someone
Volcano
Every Breaking Wave
The Crystal Ballroom
Iris
Cedarwood Road
This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Raised By Wolves
The Troubles
Sleep Like A Baby

1- invisible
2 - miracle of joey ramone
3 - every breaking wave
4 - the crystal ballroom
5- iris
6- volcano
7- lucifers hand
8 - cedarwood road
9- sleep like a baby tonight
10 this were you can reach me now
11- the troubles

California,song for someone and raised by wolves got cut for me. Not that i hate those songs,i like them but the 3 ive put in are better i think.

Every Breaking Wave
California
Iris
Crystal Ballroom
Invisible
Volcano
Song for Someone
Miracle
Cedarwood
RBW
Reach Me
Sleep
Troubles
Every Breaking Wave (BBC session)

As for Every Breaking Wave, I'm usually loathe to remove a song completely unless I feel it's unredeemable or does too much damage to the album around it (see: Crazy Tonight). And while I have a couple issues with the song, I don't skip it or dislike it. Yes, it predates the main sessions, but U2 have made great songs out of projects that have laid around for years so I don't think that should be a disqualifier.

EBW's other problem is that it does seem like more of an "Experience" song than an "Innocence" one, and at the risk of sounding cynical, the band may have just put it on the album because it was a likely single. I don't know how a breakup song with nautical imagery that an older man would use fits on here, but at the same point I didn't want to get too rigid in my "rules" for the album. It's only a loose concept anyway. One could argue the same thing about The Troubles, but because of the political subtext it fits in more with depicting the atmosphere of Ireland when U2's members were growing up.

All of this. I'm still tinkering with my track listing, but I also left Every Breaking Wave off. It just doesn't seem to fit in with the themes. But then again, the simpler melancholy version has long had a home on my alternate NLOTH so it would be redundant here anyway.

Here is my contribution. The rationale is that this is my most complete collection of the songs spanning "Ordinary Love" up until now, flowing in a manner which I think compliments an entire listen.

In my mind there is a thematic link to the songs also, which I'd love to go into more depth about but probably don't have the time. Regardless, how much notice anyone will take to my own subjective track list is anyone's guess. I'm happy with what I've settled on though. :wave:

1. The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
2. Volcano
3. Invisible (RED Edit)
4. Every Breaking Wave
5. California (There Is No End To Love)
6. Iris (Hold Me close)
7. Song For Someone
8. Cedarwood Road
9. Raised By Wolves
10. Ordinary Love (Promotional Version)
11. Lucifer's Hands
12. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
13. This Is Where You Can Find Me Now
14. The Crystal Ballroom
15. The Troubles.

Give it a go, I love it!

1. Volcano
2. Raised By Wolves
3. Every Breaking Wave
4. The Crystal Ballroom
5. Song For Someone
6. The Miracle
7. Lucifer's Hands
9. Cedarwood Road
10. The Troubles

This is working very well for me at the moment:

The Miracle
The Crystal Ballroom
Every Breaking Wave
California
Invisible
Song For Someone
Iris
Volcano
Lucifer's Hands
Raised By Wolves
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
The Troubles

1 - The Miracle
2 - Every Breaking Wave
3 - California
4 - The Crystal Ballroom
5 - Song For Someone
6 - Iris
7 - Volcano
8 - Raised By Wolves
9 - Cedarwood Road
10 - Lucifer's Hands
11 - Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
12 - Sleep Like A Baby Tonight II
13 - Invisible
14 - This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
15 - The Troubles

:wave:

A Nice, Tidy Lyrically Coherent Album

1. Invisible
2. The Miracle
3. The Crystal Ballroom
4. Song For Someone
5. Iris
6. Volcano
7. Raised By Wolves
8. Cedarwood Road
9. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
10. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
11. The Troubles

Hit hungry self-indulgent double album

Side 1
Invisible
The Miracle
Every Breaking Wave
California

Side 2
The Crystal Ballroom
Iris
Song For Someone

Side 3
Volcano
Lucifer's Hands
Raised by Wolves (acoustic)

Side 4
Cedarwood Road
Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
The Troubles

Sorry to bump this thread up 2 pages but I didn't want to start another with the same topic.

Was experimenting with some alternate lineups. I'm sure most of you will be enraged by my omissions but here we go. I'll explain:

1) Invisible - Kinda lays out the scene. Bono as a young lad wanting to get away. Father and Son connection to album cover. Sort of eases listeners into false sense of security.

2) Raised By Wolves - Immediately jarring after optimistic Invisible. Echoes "there is no them" in a freaky way. Are the wolves "them?" The nightmarish side of their Dublin lives.

3) The Crystal Ballroom - I like the mix of violence AND good times, being traumatized in RBW one day and going to a party the next. Kind of doesn't make it all seem so "serious" but makes the fun a bit more menacing and transient.

4) Sleep Like A Baby - Dark times return in the guise of a lullaby. Thinking all is well despite the outside world...

5) Iris - Tragedy strikes. No need to comment anymore than that. I like how it follows "Sleep Like A Baby" with a mother and baby connection.

6) Cedarwood Road - The intro has a mournful quality that carries over from Iris. More bleak Dublin life. Protagonist really wants to escape but is uncertain he ever will.

7) Lucifer's Hands - Defiant Bono comes out. He's really starting to fight his way out. Won't let his spirit be broken by the wolves.

8) This is Where You Can Reach Me Now - The seagulls in the beginning foreshadow California. Bono has a vision of a place far from home, void of pain. The band goes full throttle into their plans to make it.

9) The Troubles - Almost there. One last stop to say goodbye to all the shit that kept them down. Next stop...

10) California - Paradise. Escape. Goodbye Dublin. Hello the rest of the world.

So....you might be scratching your head thinking "How the fuck is EBW not on this? It's the second single for Pete's sake!"

Selfish reasons? I just don't find it particularly interesting and doesn't say much about the world they lived in. Sounds like it was forced into the concept of SOI instead of being born out of it.

As for SFS? The Miracle? I just don't find them that great. SFS is a generic ballad. The Miracle is a bit too precious with its subject matter for me (And Bono's vox are obnoxiously LOUD).

And last and certainly least there's Volcano. No explanation needed for it's absence.

I want to try some of the ones posted in here, specially the more "compact" ones.

In the meantime, here's what I've been listening the last few days in case someone wants to give it a try. I'm considering sending this tracklist to everybody's inbox because I'm afraid that people won't listen to it otherwise.

It's the whole album plus CB, Lucifer's hands, Invisible AND EBW acoustic (I'm using both versions).
It flows perfectly for me. I didn't worry about "themes", just the "flow".
I didn't changed the order of the album tracks, I just included the extra 4 tracks in the places I thought they fitted best.

1. The Miracle (I like it as a starter).
2. Every Breaking Wave - Studio
3. The Crystal Ballroom (I used to have 2 and 3 viceversa, but I found that TCB flows better coming from EBW and fits nicely into the bells and the Bar-bar-barbara of California).
4. California
5. Song for Someone
6. Iris

7. Volcano
8. Lucifer's Hands
9. Raised by Wolves (This power trio is awesome, LH fits perfectly in here).
10. Every Breaking Wave - Acoustic (right after you hear the powerful ending of Wolves, enter the piano in EBW... pretty much like Bullet leading into Running to Stand Still. This one fits great in here, and right when you're emotionally exhausted after this one, you go to)

11. Cedarwood Road (EBW acoustic is a break from the fast pace you're taking with the last 3 tracks, you slowed it down, and then you go once again with some power chords; keep in mind that before the power chords, the quiet intro to this song fits nicely with the ending of EBW).
12. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
13. Invisible (Right now, you're coming from the power trio, then the emotionally exhausting acoustic EBW, and a couple of dark tracks like Cedarwood and SLABT... Invisible is a breath of fresh air, it sounds amazing at this point; also it flows nicely from SLABT and into)
14. This is Where You Can Reach me Now
15. The Troubles

Ok, I've enjoyed that 15 track list but... it's too long.

So, I included Ordinary Love and made it a double album:

Disc 1
1. The Miracle
2. Every Breaking Wave (Full Band)
3. California
4. Song For Someone
5. Iris
6. Ordinary Love
7. This is Where You Can Reach me Now
8. The Crystal Ballroom

Disc 2
1. Volcano
2. Lucifer's Hands
3. Raised by Wolves
4. Every Breaking Wave (Acoustic)
5. Cedarwood Road
6. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
7. Invisible
8. The Troubles

It's not much different from the first one I posted, but I made some small adjustments to that one, and this is the album I've been playing for weeks now. I also arranged it by how it flowed best for me, and not with any chronological narrative - the band didn't really arrange it originally that way either and I feel no need to. :) And yes, I have completely ditched Song for Someone.

1. Invisible
2. Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
3. Every Breaking Wave (bonus disc acoustic version)
4. California (bonus disc version)
5. Iris
6. Lucifer's Hands
7. Volcano
8. Raised By Wolves
9. Cedarwood Road
10. Sleep Like A Baby
11. This Is Where You Can Reach Me...
12. The Crystal Ballroom
13. The Troubles

This also works well if you have it on a loop, sometimes Invisible will seem like the end of the album, which works as well! (although I do prefer The Troubles as a closer)

Double Album version

Side 1
1 Lucifer's Hands
2 The Miracle
3 Volcano
4 Cedarwood Road
5 Every Breaking Wave
6 California
7 Song For Someone
8 Iris

Side 2
1 Ordinary Love (Epworth mix)
2 Invisible
3 The Crystal Ballroom
4 Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
5 Raised By Wolves
6 The Troubles
7 This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
8 Every Breaking Wave (acoustic)

Ok, I've enjoyed that 15 track list but... it's too long.

So, I included Ordinary Love and made it a double album:

Disc 1
1. The Miracle
2. Every Breaking Wave (Full Band)
3. California
4. Song For Someone
5. Iris
6. Ordinary Love
7. This is Where You Can Reach me Now
8. The Crystal Ballroom

Disc 2
1. Volcano
2. Lucifer's Hands
3. Raised by Wolves
4. Every Breaking Wave (Acoustic)
5. Cedarwood Road
6. Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
7. Invisible
8. The Troubles

Good idea, picking up all the songs we already know that were recorded in these last sessions and put'em all together. I would, instead, take the acoustic "Every Breaking Wave" out and insert the alternate "Sleep Like A Baby Tonight", so, disc 1 would close with one perspective and disc 2 would open with the other.

Disc One
1. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now
2. The Miracle
3. Invisible [extended]
4. California
5. Iris
6. Raised By Wolves
7. Cedarwood Road

Disc Two
1. Sleep Like A Baby Tonight [alternative perspective]
2. The Crystal Ballroom
3. Lucifer's Hands
4. Volcano
5. Song For Someone
6. Every Breaking Wave
7. Ordinary Love [extended]
8. The Troubles

It's taken me 2.5 months to finally get this right....
1 Invisible
2 Crystal Ballroom
3 Reach
4 Every Breaking Wave
5 California
6 The Miracle
7 Song For Someone
8 Iris
9 Volcano
10 Raised By Wolves (acoustic)
11 The Troubles
12 Sleep Like A Baby

It's taken me 2.5 months to finally get this right....
1 Invisible
2 Crystal Ballroom
3 Reach
4 Every Breaking Wave
5 California
6 The Miracle
7 Song For Someone
8 Iris
9 Volcano
10 Raised By Wolves (acoustic)
11 The Troubles
12 Sleep Like A Baby

Not shabby at all. It took the band at least 2 years. ;)

Cedarwood Road
The Crystal Ballroom
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
The Troubles

A nice enough EP.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom