Alternate Fez clip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Similar to what BVS said...

Sounded to me like they were playing the original Fez (before it was cut and mixed with BB) and then the person playing it switched songs (the sound effect) to NLOTH (before it had it's proper intro).

SO maybe they were trying to make it the intro to NLOTH. (seeing how it fit)
That or someone was just listening to clips.

Either way, it sounded pretty cool.

makes think how much better unknown caller would have been if just bono had sang the text message part, instead of the awful barking delivery they went with. :hmm:

It's interesting, though, you can hear that Fez was supposed to segue into NLOTH at one point.

Great, thanks for pointing that out. I think they were probably thinking of using Fez as intro to the album and they were trying different lyrical approaches.

Santiago

I just saw this clip for the first time today and I have to say, that is really interesting. I always had a weird feeling that Fez had to have been a longer piece with lyrics that was shortened for the album.

What are the odds that the "you got a message" tone was actually part of the intro? I really wish they left this on the album. If you imagine what the album might have sounded like with something like that as an intro it would have made for a much clearer and easier to understand artistic vision.

I really wish they would open up the archives and give us all the alternate versions floating around in their studio, similar to the HTDAAB alternate versions. I would love to see what they were thinking early on.

I really wish they would open up the archives and give us all the alternate versions floating around in their studio, similar to the HTDAAB alternate versions. I would love to see what they were thinking early on.

the only thing that worries me about alternate versions is that they can put doubts in our minds about the album versions. even though i personally prefer Vertigo to Native Son, i know a lot of people feel the opposite. in the end, having all those alternate versions only hurt the integrity of HTDAAB.

the only thing that worries me about alternate versions is that they can put doubts in our minds about the album versions. even though i personally prefer Vertigo to Native Son, i know a lot of people feel the opposite. in the end, having all those alternate versions only hurt the integrity of HTDAAB.

So then let it put doubts in our minds. I'd rather just hear their best stuff.
The HTDAAB originals were far superior to the over-cooked, gutless music that finally made it onto the "album".

The HTDAAB originals were far superior to the over-cooked, gutless music that finally made it onto the "album".

It's posts like this that make me laugh at the pretentious hyperbole we have so much of in here.

With the exception of Native Son to Vertigo, the departures from the "originals" to the album versions are not drastic enough to call one brave and one gutless, that's just laughable.

Not to get too off topic, but I feel that hearing the 'originals' tends to not so much allow us to hear 'better' tracks (because a claim like that is very subjective) but shows us that there at least seemed to be a much more cohesive concept with NLOTH and even HTDAAB. It's not each song by itself, but everything taken together. Imagine what a different album HTDAAB would have been?

Yes, the tracks are at their core the same, but the demo versions for HTDAAB are quite unpolished and rough, which might have been the idea at the time (an album of immediate, band-centric tracks). Something that wasn't nitpicked to death and perhaps containing more of that 'immediate' feeling (I feel one of HTDAAB's biggest flaws is that a lot of it feels forced and too composed to me, despite being technically good songwriting). The magic is indeed there, but in redoing these tracks, they compromised a cohesive flow. This is, assuming, that there wasn't a separate goal in mind. I'm not in their heads, so I dunno

And as we are aware by hearing the early beach clips from NLOTH as well as these U2.com videos, the original plan was something less mainstream and more atmospheric and conceptualized. So while we can argue which tracks are better, its what they represent as a whole which might bring doubt to some people that the band made the right decision (of course, the only opinion that matters at this point in regards to what music to release is their own, so we should be happy with what we have).

i disagree. with the exception of ABOY, i prefer the album versions. funny how opinions are, huh? :wink:

interesting older version of Tripoli or BB or chormium chords or whatever the song was called. i love listening to alternate versions. (not that they are always better, but interesting)

I have seen that clip before but never realized FEZ was playing in the background. It does sound like an alternate version of FEZ. Bono is singing the chorus of Unknown Caller over the FEZ music in one part. Then right at the very end you can hear the opening chords to No Line on the Horizon.

Not to get too off topic, but I feel that hearing the 'originals' tends to not so much allow us to hear 'better' tracks (because a claim like that is very subjective) but shows us that there at least seemed to be a much more cohesive concept with NLOTH and even HTDAAB. It's not each song by itself, but everything taken together. Imagine what a different album HTDAAB would have been?

Yes, the tracks are at their core the same, but the demo versions for HTDAAB are quite unpolished and rough, which might have been the idea at the time (an album of immediate, band-centric tracks). Something that wasn't nitpicked to death and perhaps containing more of that 'immediate' feeling (I feel one of HTDAAB's biggest flaws is that a lot of it feels forced and too composed to me, despite being technically good songwriting). The magic is indeed there, but in redoing these tracks, they compromised a cohesive flow. This is, assuming, that there wasn't a separate goal in mind. I'm not in their heads, so I dunno

And as we are aware by hearing the early beach clips from NLOTH as well as these U2.com videos, the original plan was something less mainstream and more atmospheric and conceptualized. So while we can argue which tracks are better, its what they represent as a whole which might bring doubt to some people that the band made the right decision (of course, the only opinion that matters at this point in regards to what music to release is their own, so we should be happy with what we have).

Exactly what I mean. Of course opinions about music are subjective. What I mean is that at this point in U2's career they didn't need another over-produced album full of safe choices and forced performances. Imagine an album full of Native Sons, Xanax and wines, alternate ABOY...coming out at that point in their career. It would have proved they had some fire left, and the guts to take a risk or two. Instead they took the cautious, safe route and haven't recovered artistically. Yeah, they can sell out stadiums for people who want to hear them sing the classics, but they aren't much of a force anymore. NLOTH flopped, even though it was a solid effort, if unfocused and lop-sided. They need to put out some unexpected releases and shake things up again if they ever want to sell more than concert seats. Maybe record a few albums without touring them. Get some artistic integrity and mystique back...if they really want to extend their career. Unless, of course, they're coasting to an end purposefully. Songs of Ascent could be the indicator of how much longevity they've got left in them. It could go either way. But if they go the cowardly route again, at least give me some alternate or orginal versions as a consolation prize. Can't wait for the boxsets from this period! Something tells me they'll be far superior to the official releases.

How the hell did NLOTH flop when it was one of the biggest selling albums of 2009? and also one of only a handful to sell over 1m in the US?

nice to see we are back to the same old things.

How the hell did NLOTH flop when it was one of the biggest selling albums of 2009? and also one of only a handful to sell over 1m in the US?

cuz it's da cool thing to say u2 sucks cuz dey r old!!!!111

Ask the Edge. He said so. Nice to see he is up to the same old things.

Yeah, the music business has changed a bit, but they still out sold almost everyone.

Edge said it "flopped"? Man you're good at this hyperbole thing.

I really want to see this "flopped" post.
Just for credible reporting.
I've read an incredible amount of news reports and magizine articles and I'm at a loss.
Most articles I've read from the Edge is they really wanted to get back to doing what they wanted to do, get into the music. And they did.
Regardless of what number crunchers/and a few critics go on about, U2 managed to pull out an extraordnary album.
*end of rant*. :angry:
(and I resolved not to do this in 2010) " :)

Back
Top Bottom