All signs point to a classic U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So albums like Passengers, POP and Zooropa have been done a million times by other artists before U2? Enlighten me.

"U2 won't be doing anything that I haven't heard before, I'm extremely sure of that."

'Cause you've heard it all right? :lol:

All Pop is is rock with electronic influences. A few songs are dancy with rock influences and the rest are rock songs with slight electronic influences. It's nothing very new. I respect U2 for exzperimenting but to make U2 sound like the innovators of the sound is ridiculous. Passengers is an Eno album with U2. That's it. It's just an ambient album that's a little more musical. It's been done countless times. Zooropa is the same as Pop. Rock with electronic influences. You're acting like U2 was the first band to ever mix synths and rock.

I'm not saying I've heard everything, but I listen to a really wide range of stuff. U2 covers a pretty wide range of music but it's nothing that wasn't being done already in some way. U2 just adopted ideas from other bands and incorportated it into their sound. Well, they did that with AB and Zooropa at least. Those are the only albums I really give them a lot of credit for for being different. Still, it's not like they created any new musical style or anything.

We all know Eno & Lanois get it, they not only get 'it', they get U2. They get that you can get so much more out of a pop song than simply putting a guitar in left channel, vox down the centre, compression etc etc. The greatest thing about achtung Baby is the ambient structures that the songs build apon. I strongly believe if the dynamic duo helmed Pop it would have been the masterpeice it threatened to be.

Mmmmm, Pop's great as is. Probably the last truly great album that U2 have done. Having Eno and Lanois on it wouldn't have added a thing. Messing about with Pop on the best of remixes a few years back is proof alone that the album tracks were great as they were. Fu#k when I think about the rehashed and stripped down versions of Discotheque and Staring at the Sun it makes me go cold. One thing I really hate is this "Pop could have been the masterpiece it threatened to be". Its a fabulous album and probably U2's second greatest achievement behind AB!:wink:

Mmmmm, Pop's great as is. Probably the last truly great album that U2 have done. Having Eno and Lanois on it wouldn't have added a thing. Messing about with Pop on the best of remixes a few years back is proof alone that the album tracks were great as they were. Fu#k when I think about the rehashed and stripped down versions of Discotheque and Staring at the Sun it makes me go cold. One thing I really hate is this "Pop could have been the masterpiece it threatened to be". Its a fabulous album and probably U2's second greatest achievement behind AB!:wink:

I personally think Pop truly shined as the singles were released. I like the single version of IGWSHA more than the album version, the remix of Gone on the Best of 1990-2000... I think having Lanois and Eno wouldn't have changed the fact that they ran out of time, however.

^ Yeah, Single versions of IGWSHA and Please are way better, as is the remixed version of Gone. Other than that, album versions all round

Please is an awesome song, although I never got to hear the album version, just the single and live versions.

While the single version is superb, although I wished they made the SBS drums a tad louder and the guitar in the beginning and end of the solo also a bit louder. :up:

I agree. I really hate all the would have should have could have surrounding POP. It is and it is FANTASTIC!! To me it is still U2 not really caring what people think about the direction they are going in. They got timid IMO after this. But what most bands would not give to create U2's timid work. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are not bad by any means but I really like and appreciate AB, Z, and POP the best.

To define classic, it may be helful, what the sounds are compared with by the press (how ever this may sound in the end ...):

1. "Magnificence": -> TUF
2. "Moment Of Surrender": -> TJT/AB
3. "Tripoli": -> ZOOROPA
4. "Get Your Boots On": -> POP
5. "Unknown Caller": -> ATYCLB

The others don't get such narrowing categories:

6. "Crazy Tonight": upbeat pop track with 60ies echo, catchy pop lyrics as "Sweetest Thing" and the joy of "Beautiful Day"
7. "Stand Up": hard rocker with signature riff
8. "Winter": topic song, stripped down with rhythm
9. "Breathe": joyful tune with Arabian cello
10. "No Line On The Horizon": punk-rock (version #2)
11. "Every Breaking Wave": slow burning track with "early electronica"
12. "Cedars Of Lebanon": atmospheric ballad as topic song

... sounds already classic, doesn't it?:applaud:

Pop is in U2's top 5 albums for sure, the tracks are simply unreal and badass like Discotheque, Mofo and WUDM, they were doing stuff nobody would. It never got the respect it deserved. I hope the new album is like this (Maybe without the f-bombs).

:drool: A mix of UF, AB, Pop.

It wont be considered a classic album either way I dont think until its been out for awhile...but if it is a good album it will be considered classic eventually but not right off the bat.

Secondly I think ATYCLB and Bomb were both great records, and underappriciated by the long time U2 fans.

But the same thing was being done with the 90s albums when they first came out believe it or not....in 10 years time the 2000s material will be much more appriciated...especially if U2 is no longer around.

To define classic, it may be helful, what the sounds are compared with by the press (how ever this may sound in the end ...):

1. "Magnificence": -> TUF
2. "Moment Of Surrender": -> TJT/AB
3. "Tripoli": -> ZOOROPA
4. "Get Your Boots On": -> POP
5. "Unknown Caller": -> ATYCLB

The others don't get such narrowing categories:

6. "Crazy Tonight": upbeat pop track with 60ies echo, catchy pop lyrics as "Sweetest Thing" and the joy of "Beautiful Day"
7. "Stand Up": hard rocker with signature riff
8. "Winter": topic song, stripped down with rhythm
9. "Breathe": joyful tune with Arabian cello
10. "No Line On The Horizon": punk-rock (version #2)
11. "Every Breaking Wave": slow burning track with "early electronica"
12. "Cedars Of Lebanon": atmospheric ballad as topic song

... sounds already classic, doesn't it?:applaud:

Sounds like all over the place sonically. Bomb also had lots of previous U2 album comparisons...

It wont be considered a classic album either way I dont think until its been out for awhile...but if it is a good album it will be considered classic eventually but not right off the bat.

Secondly I think ATYCLB and Bomb were both great records, and underappriciated by the long time U2 fans.

:up:

I hate all this Bomb bashing. :yell:

I take the album any day about 99% that is played on radio nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom