All signs point to a classic U2 album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, no. With time I've only hated it more. I think it's a total embarrassment of an album, as one made by U2. I am surprised it is received so well by so many in here. I am genuinelly daily amazed that someone can come in here with a straight face and compare Vertigo to The Fly, or City of Blinding Lights to Where the Streets Have No Name. Genuinely staggering to me.

:up: I agree, I think it's an awful album by any standards, not just U2's.

If everyone could stop with this wise advise: "listen first, then judge", that would be really awesome. All we can do right now is speculate, so that is all we are going to do.
Oh, someone is angry – just relax and speculate:lol:

Oh, someone is angry – just relax and speculate:lol:

Haha, you must be quite a talented reader to detect anger in there.

But seriously, if I'm told I need to wait to listen to the album before I can discuss track descriptions one more time....

To the dismay of those who appreciate Bomb, I will chime in once again and say that I, like Mr Walt Disney, feel HTDAAB is U2's worst record. I've said it since the first day I heard it, and still believe it.

ATYCLB on the other hand approaches their best work. Doesnt quite make it, but its up there. Although a couple tracks are embarrassingly bad.

Anyway, I agree dumping Rubin was the best possible move. I really dislike his production style. This record only has the potential to be a "top 3" classic with Eno and Lanois at the helm, I doubt anyone would argue with that.

To the dismay of those who appreciate Bomb, I will chime in once again and say that I, like Mr Walt Disney, feel HTDAAB is U2's worst record. I've said it since the first day I heard it, and still believe it.

ATYCLB on the other hand approaches their best work. Doesnt quite make it, but its up there. Although a couple tracks are embarrassingly bad.

Anyway, I agree dumping Rubin was the best possible move. I really dislike his production style. This record only has the potential to be a "top 3" classic with Eno and Lanois at the helm, I doubt anyone would argue with that.

Your beliefs are very close to my own. While ATYCLB and HTDAAB often get lumped together and are discussed interchangeably, I too put ATYCLB up nearer the top (in my top 5) while Bomb is definitely near, or at, the bottom. That's not to say that I don't enjoy it to some degree because I can say with complete honesty that I like all their albums. But I don't think the quality is very similar as many people seem to believe (whether they like them or dislike them or are indifferent to both), and it's likely that Eno and Lanois have a lot to do with that. I have high hopes for NLOTH.

HTDAAB is probably U2s worst album, if the production was better and the songwriting it would be much higher up. Saying that I still feel like its an okay/decent album by U2 standards although a very good one overall compared to anything else in my opinion.

HTDAAB is probably U2s worst album, if the production was better and the songwriting it would be much higher up. Saying that I still feel like its an okay/decent album by U2 standards although a very good one overall compared to anything else in my opinion.

:up: right on. Worst U2 is still a pretty great thing.

:up: right on. Worst U2 is still a pretty great thing.

Even in HTDAAB you get some classic tracks (like COBL and OOTS imo)

In fact every U2 album has one or two classic tracks, at least.

Okay, what is there to say about NLOTH? Great name, descriptions are promising, single soon?

If everyone could stop with this wise advise: "listen first, then judge", that would be really awesome. All we can do right now is speculate, so that is all we are going to do.

Exactly.:up:

Its obvious that there are a number of people who are choosing to to engage in a discussion based purely upon speculation and small tid bits, and its obvious that there are people who don't want to read it. I'm fine with that.

What cracks me up is that this kind of discussion happens ALL OF THE TIME. It happens in sports, politics, the freakin' weather for god's sake. Everyone tries to predict the future, everyone engages in speculative discussion. People make fine livings and have long careers using speculation and their own opinions. Its not like its relegated to this discussion board....well except for the making money part.

Sports Analysts spend hours upon hours trying to speculate who's going to win the big game...and half the time they're wrong. Political correspondents spent hours trying to predict who was going to win the U.S. presidency....and many of them were wrong! Even my weather man tried to predict the big snow storm recently and was off....and he's got a damn Doppler Weather Forecaster. So why is this discussion over the new U2 album any different? So what if its based on speculation? or small tid bits of info...who cares? I don't have a U2 Album Doppler Forecaster...does anyone else? And even if you do....will you be right? :wink:

Exactly.:up:

Its obvious that there are a number of people who are choosing to to engage in a discussion based purely upon speculation and small tid bits, and its obvious that there are people who don't want to read it. I'm fine with that.

What cracks me up is that this kind of discussion happens ALL OF THE TIME. It happens in sports, politics, the freakin' weather for god's sake. Everyone tries to predict the future, everyone engages in speculative discussion. People make fine livings and have long careers using speculation and their own opinions. Its not like its relegated to this discussion board....well except for the making money part.

Sports Analysts spend hours upon hours trying to speculate who's going to win the big game...and half the time they're wrong. Political correspondents spent hours trying to predict who was going to win the U.S. presidency....and many of them were wrong! Even my weather man tried to predict the big snow storm recently and was off....and he's got a damn Doppler Weather Forecaster. So why is this discussion over the new U2 album any different? So what if its based on speculation? or small tid bits of info...who cares? I don't have a U2 Album Doppler Forecaster...does anyone else? And even if you do....will you be right? :wink:

Okay – what exactly is your contribution towards this thread's topic? Sorry, but I didn't get it ...:scratch:

1. Then you are probably one of the people I'm speaking of

2. your post count is 666 :macdevil:

:D

Let me help you, then: Your critics is pointed towards people here in this thread, who speculate about, how the future (=NLOTH) will be like … thought we might be completely wrong with our speculation ...
Hm, my advice: Just leave this thread, don't read it, because such a discussion is exactly, what this whole thread is about. It is about analysis, speculation, feelings and prophecy. That's why it is called: "All signs point to a classic U2 album":hmm: Or do I still misinterpret you?

^ i agree with what you say, except for the use of the word 'analysis'... there is nothing to analyse
Not 100% correct, we have at least the two different sources from Q and RS giving us 'official' info about track names and sound comparisons – which we have analysed.:wave:

Wow, this thread is really insane plus the discussion is really going back and forth... :|

Let me help you, then: Your critics is pointed towards people here in this thread, who speculate about, how the future (=NLOTH) will be like … thought we might be completely wrong with our speculation ...
Hm, my advice: Just leave this thread, don't read it, because such a discussion is exactly, what this whole thread is about. It is about analysis, speculation, feelings and prophecy. That's why it is called: "All signs point to a classic U2 album":hmm: Or do I still misinterpret you?

:rolleyes:

:doh:

whatever dude. I'm just going to take my own advice and ignore you. Have a nice day!!!! :wave:

^ analysis should refer to songs. Because music, and analysis in general are subjective and dependant on interpretation, YOU, I, or WE cannot analyse anything until we hear it. We can SPECULATE based on information presented by other sources, but the nature of the subjectivity of music means that any analysis can only be made after we hear it.

:rolleyes:

:doh:whatever dude. I'm just going to take my own advice and ignore you. Have a nice day!!!! :wave:
No need to stick your head in the sand, I still don't understand your problem. We speculate here in analytical :)wink:) & emotional ways about the future album. An album, nobody of us has heard a single note of – nothing more, nothing less:wave:

Wow, this thread is really insane plus the discussion is really going back and forth... :|

yeah...I think I'm done with it.

Its pretty annoying when you've got people criticizing others for expressing their reactions/opinions towards what they are reading and what they THINK the songs could be like.

Ridiculous. I mean c'mon now...if I read another "Why are you discussing songs that you haven't heard yet?" comment I'm going to fucking puke. God damn ridiculous. So now people are putting restrictions on what can be spoken about? :down:

No need to stick your head in the sand, I still don't understand your problem. We speculate here in analytical :)wink:) & emotional ways about the future album. An album, nobody of us has heard a single note of – nothing more, nothing less:wave:

that is better. Speculating in an analytical way is exactly right: it bears the hallmarks of analysis without actually fulfilling the criterion of being analysis

Whats YOUR problem? :shrug:

Do you know where I'm even coming from? I think you're arguing with me because you don't get what I'm saying. I'm agreeing with those who want to have harmless discussions centered around harmless speculation and small bits of song info. Whats wrong with that????

have a nice day :wave:

yeah...I think I'm done with it.

Its pretty annoying when you've got people criticizing others for expressing their reactions/opinions towards what they are reading and what they THINK the songs could be like.

Ridiculous. I mean c'mon now...if I read another "Why are you discussing songs that you haven't heard yet?" comment I'm going to fucking puke. God damn ridiculous. So now people are putting restrictions on what can be spoken about? :down:

Typical Interference, incredibly entertaining but just crazy. :wink:

Funny to see how different people look at the albums. I actually LOVE HTDAAB despite the lack of cohesiveness and crap production, it was a GREAT collection of songs, but I think ATYCLB is their career low-point! Yeah, there are a few good songs, but New York is the single worst lyric Bono has ever written. Walk On and Peace On Earth are embarrassments. Grace is pretty cotton-candy, but deserved to be on a soundtrack, not an actual U2 album....... Actually, at this point I think In a Little While is the best song on the album. Different strokes for different folks.

So, let's hope for a new album we can all agree is awesome! :)

The truth is, we wont get an album we can all agree on because that's not the way the world works. I find it amazing that people seem to enjoy HTDAAB so much when I despise most of it.

The one thing I really need to hearfrom this album to enjoy it is lyrics that pack a bit of a punch and don't just state something which sounds profound, but is actually somewhat meaningless. HTDAAB is littered with such cringe worthy lines that sound so half baked.

I feel from what we've heard so far that the album will be a step in a new direction, but a small step. I feel it will work better as a cohesive collection of songs and I also feel that the songs have been worked on and birthed into their full potential - something I strongly believe HTDAAB did not achieve. A song like 'One Step Closer' is a fine example of a song that has not reached its full potentail, it comes off as a lazy attempt at some past gospel style glory.

A band like U2 who have such a unique and iconic sound (Edge guitar mainly) need to be careful that they don't become perodies of their former selves. Something which they did on their last album. They need to get that restless edge back and reinvent themselves or it will just get tired and old and sad.

Here's to hoping..:up:

Whats YOUR problem? :shrug:

Do you know where I'm even coming from? I think you're arguing with me because you don't get what I'm saying. I'm agreeing with those who want to have harmless discussions centered around harmless speculation and small bits of song info. Whats wrong with that????

have a nice day :wave:
C'mon, let's stay friends – maybe I didn't get you right. If so, sorry and "Peace" ...:up:

Back
Top Bottom