All critical, "professional" reviews of SOI here, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've already started my sign-making campaign for the next tour.

And I'm registering a domain name.

#MAKEINVISIBLEVISIBLE

I will start another campaign

#PLEASEKEEPINVISIBLEINVISIBLETHANKYOU

Not as catchy, but it expresses my sentiment. :wink:

Another negative

http://www.straight.com/music/736346/theres-no-cure-u2s-songs-innocence

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Great unbiased review! I love the very objective comment:

"All those scathing reviews haven’t taken Nickelback down, and neither will this spam fiasco sink the lame ship U2, as it sails the middling seas of maximum accessibility toward future Super Bowl ads. They achieved their goal long ago. They are a virus, and there is no cure."

You can tell that this review was all about the music and nothing about the artist or the artists history. Well done Internet....well done!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

"All those scathing reviews haven’t taken Nickelback down, and neither will this spam fiasco sink the lame ship U2, as it sails the middling seas of maximum accessibility toward future Super Bowl ads. They achieved their goal long ago. They are a virus, and there is no cure."

That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Rock and Walk: U2's 'Songs of Innocence'

Another bad one here, but one you can probably just ignore. He listened to it ONE time. How can you write a review of an album after one listen? That should be illegal. The first time I heard U2, it was the War album and I hated it. Put the tape away for 6 months and didn't listen to it again until I started seeing the Red Rocks SBS video on MTV. First time I heard WOWY I thought it was a ridiculous choice for a single. First time I heard One I thought it was a meandering mess with no structure. So there's that.

Good comment though:

Ryan Steven Graybill · 5th Grade Educator at Fairfax County Public Schools
...Yes, I think you should strongly consider giving it more listens. U2 is never on the surface...there's always something more each and every time. People don't walk by a painting to determine if it's good...they stand and look...sometimes for awhile.

Rock and Walk: U2's 'Songs of Innocence'

Another bad one here, but one you can probably just ignore. He listened to it ONE time. How can you write a review of an album after one listen? That should be illegal. The first time I heard U2, it was the War album and I hated it. Put the tape away for 6 months and didn't listen to it again until I started seeing the Red Rocks SBS video on MTV. First time I heard WOWY I thought it was a ridiculous choice for a single. First time I heard One I thought it was a meandering mess with no structure. So there's that.

Good comment though:

Ryan Steven Graybill · 5th Grade Educator at Fairfax County Public Schools
...Yes, I think you should strongly consider giving it more listens. U2 is never on the surface...there's always something more each and every time. People don't walk by a painting to determine if it's good...they stand and look...sometimes for awhile.

The reviewer lost all credibility when he said he hated Achtung Baby.

The reviewer lost all credibility when he said he hated Achtung Baby.

I think that it's very interesting, that I keep noting that people that are into the 90's stuff, especially POP and Zooropa really love SOI, and those that like ATYCLB and more 80's stuff are not as into it.

I am firmly in the 90's camp and only really like about 4 songs off of each of the last 3 albums, and I LOVE this album.

I think that it's very interesting, that I keep noting that people that are into the 90's stuff, especially POP and Zooropa really love SOI, and those that like ATYCLB and more 80's stuff are not as into it.

I am firmly in the 90's camp and only really like about 4 songs off of each of the last 3 albums, and I LOVE this album.

good point....I see that division as well. And I think if SOI followed POP it would have been a natural fit.

I also like this album more than the past three, but I recently revisited ATYCLB and I have to admit to being impressed. It has aged well for me, and I didn't care for it that much upon its release. Kite, When I Look at the World, and New York are particular favorites.

good point....I see that division as well. And I think if SOI followed POP it would have been a natural fit.

I also like this album more than the past three, but I recently revisited ATYCLB and I have to admit to being impressed. It has aged well for me, and I didn't care for it that much upon its release. Kite, When I Look at the World, and New York are particular favorites.

I went back last week and listened to ATYCLB, and it didn't sit that well with me. I really was surprised thinking about all the accolades it got at the time, and now is still referenced with JT and AB as being one of their great albums.

I LOVE Kite, and really like about 4 others, but the rest are just sort of average to really bad (POE, Grace)

I admit I like parts of New York a lot, but as a whole it didn't play well for me now.

Anyway, I just like the fact that SOI, I am really liking or loving 8 of the 10 and the other two I like and are good, and still don't skip them.
Very strong

A reviewer loses all credibility as soon as they say they "hate" something or someone. That's not a review, it tells me nothing about the actual album, only about a reviewer's personal feelings. With U2, this seems to be more often the case than not.

There hasn't been many well thought-out critiques of SOI. They've either been utterly dismissive virtually from the first sentence (all that's missing is "U2 should FOAD!!!") or they've been sycophantic fanboy gushing (which is equally embarrassing). Very, very disappointed at the quality of these "professional" reviews thus far.

so nothing from q yet I guess they are going to wait until the physical copy to come out.

It's going to be a long wait for it to make its way to newsstands in the States. :(

(I'm assuming it'll be a cover story, but I'll buy it anyway. I've gotten so many great music recommendations from Q's review section.)

I am in the 80's team. I think the AB is the best, Zoorope acceptable, Pop very very poor, ATYCLB and Bomb are fine and SOI seems great.

I say in U2 albums, there are no rules...

I'm also more into the 80's stuff, but mostly cause there's more material and that's what I got into when I started listening to U2. It's very very close, though. I love AB and Zooropa. And Pop and OST1 are good as well. But all I know is that their 2000s is miles behind, even with its brilliant spots. SOI is without a doubt their best 2000s effort thus far, though. Half of ATYCLB, Atomic Bomb and No Line aren't very good. Besides a couple of the obvious terrible songs, they're not bad albums by any measure. Just bad by U2 standards. But, I'd take October over all of them any day.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom