All critical, "professional" reviews of SOI here, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great blog from someone who dosent seem a massive u2 fan

Furor over U2’s massive album drop is misguided whining

That's great and a real fun to read!

I agree with pretty much everything in that Salon article actually. :up:

I think we shouldn't call a pointless troll blog an "article". It's an offense to every real article. The only good thing about this blurb is the comment section that shows that the public isn't as stupid as many are thinking and there is indeed a lot of love for U2. The hate speech has to end. There's enough hate in the world already.

That's great and a real fun to read!

I think we shouldn't call a pointless troll blog an "article". It's an offense to every real article. The only good thing about this blurb is the comment section that shows that the public isn't as stupid as many are thinking and there is indeed a lot of love for U2. The hate speech has to end. There's enough hate in the world already.

The thing is...with so many people having access..what is a "real" article?

Never going to forget the first time I heard Streets live. I was extremely giddy when I saw the red lighting fill the stage, as Bono finished singing 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow'. Incredible.

I need to go to another U2 show.

STREETS is one of those songs that will give me goosebumps every single time I hear it live... The intro :drool:

STREETS is one of those songs that will give me goosebumps every single time I hear it live... The intro :drool:

Same here :). Never gotten tired of hearing it for over 20 years of being a fan. Look forward to hearing a new segue/intro on the next tour. My favourite version so far is Popmart tho.

The thing is...with so many people having access..what is a "real" article?

A "professional" review, as the thread title suggests, not some random dude's opinion from a blog, because that Salon thing clearly is a blog comment. I'd rather have a critical, but biased and thoughtful article about the album and the band instead of a uber-positive or uber-negative opinion piece by a U2 fan or a U2 hater.

'
A "professional" review, as the thread title suggests, not some random dude's opinion from a blog, because that Salon thing clearly is a blog comment. I'd rather have a critical, but biased and thoughtful article about the album and the band instead of a uber-positive or uber-negative opinion piece by a U2 fan or a U2 hater.

Most of the "professional" reviewers are just trying to get a click...I will take some random blogger fan or hater.

The hate speech has to end. There's enough hate in the world already.

Come on, let it go. Let the haters be haters. It doesn't help to repeat that every single day. U2 don't give a shit about the outrage, they know what they are doing. And they accept the fact, that there are people around who don't like them. Besides that you can be sure that there is still much love left for U2.

Wasn't it Bono who recently said that he can take the hate better than the new album being ignored?

So just enjoy the next few years with U2 and let people do their u2 bashing, it won't hurt them.

Brilliant article - and I don't really see the bias.

When Napster and similar services allowed people to share music, the RIAA responded by suing people they "caught" doing this, regardless of the obscurity of the tracks.

That strategy was so effective that sharing increased instead of decreasing.

Back then, I asked why the RIAA didn't create a way to download music that one could pay for. It would make life easier.

Apple and others found that way, but even then the RIAA and various labels fought against it. Finally, iTunes and other services came out.

But now music is shifting again. As the article says, we let Pandora stream our mix. I guess I'm old fashioned - I usually like listening to specific songs. I accept, though, that I'm part of a dying breed. Owning music is a rarity. I still love holding onto that album or CD. But streaming or instant music/movie is what people want now. We are indeed users, not fans, listeners, watchers or even patrons. We use and toss.

U2 can afford not to have a big hit album. That means that U2, of all bands, can afford to experiment with new release strategies. Maybe this strategy will work when all the bickering is done, maybe it won't. But either way, it's something new. And other artists should be praising U2 for it - not tearing them apart, like Sharon Osbourne. Because believe me, if she thinks just dropping an album or having a hit song is enough these days, she's way out of touch.

Anyone else notice the increase in positive reviews after almost two weeks a has passed. Says a lot about this album.

Because reviews like this actually take the time to listen to the album several times - probably though different systems (open air speakers, headphones, car...etc)

Because many notorious U2 haters have their reviews written before the album is actually released and cannot wait to finally bring their blurb to the public's attention?! You can easily tell from a lot of reviews that the reviewer didn't listen to the album or didn't listen to most songs or not in their entirety.

Especially the way California is described. :up:

That's awesome!!! It was so well done, and I have to agree with almost everything you said. I'm still having a hard time with SFS.

I used to live in Seattle and miss it very much.

Thanks for the great write up!

Back
Top Bottom