All critical, "professional" reviews of SOI here, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Album Review: U2 - 'Songs of Innocence'

One of the most nuanced reviews of the album yet, although i think it deserves more than 3 out of 5 stars, especially when the author names the album perfectly fine on his twitter account.

The 2nd album could sound different and since they both are mainly from the same sessions it'll be hard for reviewers to judge this period.

Haven't seen this one posted here yet.... U2’s surprise album Songs of Innocence, reviewed. (From Slate.com, originally featured in Vulture.)

This one irritates me from start to finish. "U2’s Surprise Album Is Totally Gorgeous, Totally Boring, And at Least a Little Creepy". So you think the album's gorgeous (which is a good thing - right?)... but you find it boring (so that's bad - isn't it?) and it's creepy ( :huh: - you mean you found the delivery method creepy, not the music itself... or do you?) :confused: :doh:

This, particularly, bugs the crap out of me: discussing her appreciation of SLAB, with the exception of Bono's "endearingly wobbly falsetto", the writer says "Except for that moment, actually, Songs of Innocence never sounds anything less than gorgeous—but given its sponsored rollout and the band’s near-evangelical zeal over the Apple partnership, I can’t help but feel a little cynical about exactly why." Wait... what?? :scratch:

Isn't that a bit like having a complimentary appetizer presented to you in your favorite restaurant, eating it (and enjoying it!!), only to then determine because it was brought to your table by the owner that you don't trust his intentions and convincing yourself you didn't actually like the food after all???? :crack:

This review is a great example of what bugs me so much about "hipster/indie" culture in general. More specifically, the "if it sells it must suck" ethos. Here is someone who feels the album is "gorgeous" but that is not enough!

A band has become a business concern the second an album is sold, a concert is promoted or an interview is conducted which pretty much means that any band that any of us have ever heard of is a business concern. I don't get the hate for bands that make it big, what is a sell out anyway? Do indie bands not write hooks? Do they not try to appeal to an audience and make a living?

I don't like Justin Bieber's music, not because he is on top 40 radio but because I can't connect with the subject matter of his music and its not a genre I enjoy. But if he releases Thriller 2.0 and I'm a reviewer I'm giving him a 4.5 star review (he loses that half star because he's a twit :wink:).

I was ready to hate SOI due to the long gestation period and all the producers involved. BUT instead I'm pleasantly surprised with a very good album. Like many, I do wish the first half was more like the second but there are some gorgeous moments on this album. And certainly enough that I am excited to see how most of the songs will play out live.

Guess it's going to plant at that 66/100 on Metacritic...maybe the next album will actually be good?

Or maybe you should judge an album yourself by listening to it and not by reading metacritic scores :shrug:

I did! And not only was it not worth the five-and-a-half year wait, but it wasn't worth the two minutes it took to download via BitTorrent. :down:

I did! And not only was it not worth the five-and-a-half year wait, but it wasn't worth the two minutes it took to download via BitTorrent. :down:

In this one post you have pretty much admitted to being a troll

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

This review is a great example of what bugs me so much about "hipster/indie" culture in general. More specifically, the "if it sells it must suck" ethos.

Yeah, because they were dying to shit over an album that has sold exactly zero copies.

In this one post you have pretty much admitted to being a troll

Or just a disappointed fan that's been here for years. The album is now sitting in my iTunes folder because I'm a completist, but I haven't even heard it for over a week now. I might bust it out again before the tour just so I'm more familiar with some of these songs (or the decent ones, anyway).

Or just a disappointed fan that's been here for years. The album is now sitting in my iTunes folder because I'm a completist, but I haven't even heard it for over a week now. I might bust it out again before the tour just so I'm more familiar with some of these songs (or the decent ones, anyway).

Ok mate

Your response to my questions in the "is it the worst" thread, and the contradictions you gave; made it obvious that you are trolling this forum. Hopefully next album your trolling won't be as transparent.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I don't see how I've been at all contradictory...I think it's their worst album and...?

I love this band, can't wait to see them live and know that there's more new music forthcoming. Tons of people around here slag on their 00s releases, so I don't see how I'm any different now that there's one I dislike. I mean, I don't take it personally or call someone a troll when they say All That You Can't Leave Behind is terrible.

I don't see how I've been at all contradictory...I think it's their worst album and...?

I love this band, can't wait to see them live and know that there's more new music forthcoming. Tons of people around here slag on their 00s releases, so I don't see how I'm any different now that there's one I dislike. I mean, I don't take it personally or call someone a troll when they say All That You Can't Leave Behind is terrible.

The whole "I told you so" kind of attitude I guess, you don't like it? That's fine but why go round with the whole "well metacritic is giving it 66/100, I told you I was right" etc etc, kind of grates if you ask me

I couldn't care less if you liked it or not, that's not what makes you a troll.

The whole "I told you so" kind of attitude I guess, you don't like it? That's fine but why go round with the whole "well metacritic is giving it 66/100, I told you I was right" etc etc, kind of grates if you ask me

It's more that I was right about the critical consensus rather than wanting to confirm my own beliefs about the record. I still would have made the same guess of it having worse reviews than No Line even if I had liked the album, simply because it just isn't that interesting of a record in terms of how daring it is...maybe some elements of it are a stretch for U2 but it's their safest album in the broad scheme of things.

I think there's just a lot of disappointment with critical reviews around here because so many people on here were raving about the album immediately and expected it to launch U2 back into the stratosphere. Instead, critics greeted it with a shrug and the general public met it with either indifference or annoyance. It's a baking soda rocket instead of the real deal.

Yeah, because they were dying to shit over an album that has sold exactly zero copies.

It has sold exactly zero copies because its not yet for sale.

I have no problem with reviewers that don't like the album. What bothered me about that review is in one sentence the album is "gorgeous" BUT, its U2 and the release was "creepy"..... They were dying to shit on U2 and they did. For the record I'm almost as annoyed by the 5 star rolling stone review.

Not that it matters but I don't think you're a troll.

Your reaction to this album was the same(better actually) than the first U2 album I bought...Zooropa. No hooks, no songs that I wanted to blast at full volume. I still think it is their second worst album but some songs have grown on me over the years (Stay is a gem!).

With SOI, I refuse to rate it yet or say where it ranks because I might still be high on the "New Album" drug. I find my instincts are usually close to my final feelings, even though I say I love the new U2 about all their new albums.

POP-didn't care for it...told people it was good and I tried to convince myself it was but it's not(my opinion)

ATYCLB- liked it and still like it a lot. Although the first time I heard Beautiful Day I thought it was crap now it is one of my favorites

Bomb-really liked it and still do.

NLOTH-Didn't really like it, told people it was good and I think I tried believe what I would say (I wrote a post here that it was Better than Bomb...it's not). In the end, my gut was right and I don't care for it that much.

SOI...I liked it initially. The songs don't have the smash you over the head U2 sound but I find that I like them...almost all of them and that has never happened (Achtung is like that to me). Time will tell if that feeling holds. At the moment(I'm still high on the drug though) I am really....really liking this album.

I appreciate your honesty....even though you do come off as "I told you so" sometimes....lot of the time...:)

I agree with others - this is arguably the best review I have read.

While some songs the author lists are not to my liking (at least yet), and I oddly find myself more drawn the the "pop" first half of the album (which contrasts most people here), the reviewer addresses all aspects about the album and the release. He notes the album has flaws, but indirectly challenges the comments of his fellow reviewers' critical comments as well. In other words, he's saying, "Yes, there are flaws, but the nonsensical ones you listed aren't them."

If I were to "grade" this album, I too would give it an 8/10. I think it's stronger than many of U2's work, but weaker than others. However, live performances may boost some songs in the future. For example, who can hear "Streets" without thinking of a concert? And the horrid "Crazy Tonight" became brilliant in concert when U2 revamped a somewhat weak remix into a powerful, jumping in the air, performance.

Back
Top Bottom