All critical, "professional" reviews of SOI here, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not "33m people who have listened to the album". It's "something from the album has been listened to 33m times".

600,000 sales x 11 Tracks x 5 listens = 33,000,000.

Um, Apple reports that "33 million customers" have "listened to something on the album".

I don't know how you can mistake that for "something from the album has been listened to 33m times".

The number would a lot higher, most of us downloaded the album and have listened to i t multiple times (in a car, at home, etc) and iTunes has no way of tracking every possible listen once downloaded, only streaming listens direct from their servers. So my download counts as "1" but in reality is more like 12.

Do you have the exact wording?

NEW YORK (AP) — Apple Inc. says 33 million iTunes account holders have accessed U2's free album.

In a statement, Apple's Senior Vice President Eddy Cue described the figure as "record breaking", but did not elaborate. The figure includes customers who downloaded the album from their iCloud account, streamed it or used iTunes' radio player to hear it.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

It is the whole album though. The press release said it was 33 million listens to the album either by stream or download. It didn't mention listening to single tracks

I don't believe this is correct. That 33mil figure includes actual downloads and streaming on both iTunes and Beats. Apple said as much. My guess is that if you even clicked on one track and listened for few seconds you're among those 33 million. That's what they mean by "accessed."

You think they're only counting people who listened to every track completely? Why would they do that? The whole point is to get that "listened to" figure as high as they can.

Do you have the exact wording?

The original statement from Rolling Stone.

UPDATE: Apple has released a statement to Rolling Stone sharing the number of people who have listened to Songs of Innocence in the first week. "We wanted to thank our customers and share our love of music by gifting them Songs of Innocence," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "Just six days after its release on iTunes, a record-breaking 33 million people have already listened to the album."

Note, they don't say 33 million was the total amount of listens. They say 33 million customers.

Right, well I apologise. I think. It's really not perfect wording from Apple.

Disclaimer: I play with and fluff exactly these kinds of numbers all the time - I know the tricky way it's done and know everyone does it all the time so assume every time I read something like this that the numbers and description of what it represents are not really totally true - liar never believes anyone else and all that. I would have asked if each count there truly represents x1 unique customer.

I don't believe this is correct. That 33mil figure includes actual downloads and streaming on both iTunes and Beats. Apple said as much. My guess is that if you even clicked on one track and listened for few seconds you're among those 33 million. That's what they mean by "accessed."

You think they're only counting people who listened to every track completely? Why would they do that? The whole point is to get that "listened to" figure as high as they can.

Yep, it doesn't matter if the whole album was listen to or not. It just matters if they took the chance to listen to something on the album!

Right, well I apologise. I think. It's really not perfect wording from Apple.

Disclaimer: I play with and fluff exactly these kinds of numbers all the time - I know the tricky way it's done and know everyone does it all the time so assume every time I read something like this that the numbers and description of what it represents are not really totally true - liar never believes anyone else and all that. I would have asked if each count there truly represents x1 unique customer.

Why would anyone have two iTunes accounts? Also for some reason you have got two or three accounts, why would you listen to the album on each account? Every apple item is synced to one iTunes account.

Why would anyone have two iTunes accounts? Also for some reason you have got two or three accounts, why would you listen to the album on each account? Every apple item is synced to one iTunes account.

That's not what I mean - and yes, if anything its the reverse, multiple people on one account.

and yes, if anything its the reverse, multiple people on one account.

I could not think of anything worse then having the same iTunes account as my wife, I wouldn't want her crap on my phone :) I'd do a Sharon Osborne :)

She has a separate account to me thank god!

I have three iTunes accounts, in the US, UK and Canadian stores.

And there are likely tens of millions of inactive accounts, people who used it once to download a song, or had a gift certificate, or never used it at all but had to create an account for their phone or tablet, etc. The fact that less than 10% of that number has "accessed" the record to any extent tells you the whole purpose of this was to be able to say it was the biggest launch in history. They might have saved themselves some grief had they just offered the record for free instead of parking it in people's library.

The 500 mil is as impressive figure to be sure, as is the 33 mil, but when you dig into these numbers the story is a little more nuanced.

There's been a few retrospective articles coming out since U2 dropped their latest album, which is quite interesting; here's another one concerning Pop: In defense of Pop, U2's most hated album - The Week

Bravo.

It's interesting that these are popping up now, and I'm noticing a few respectful lines about Pop in various reviews - of course the thoughtless throwaway bash line is still common too. I wonder if it's just nostalgia for a different U2-era and this being the closing of that era, or if the announcement of a free album at the end of the launch for some companies watch and phone had people immediately recognising a, err, connection of sorts to the Kmart launch.

I have three iTunes accounts, in the US, UK and Canadian stores.

And there are likely tens of millions of inactive accounts, people who used it once to download a song, or had a gift certificate, or never used it at all but had to create an account for their phone or tablet, etc. The fact that less than 10% of that number has accessed the record to any extent tells you the whole purpose of this was to be able to say it was the biggest launch in history. They might have saved themselves some grief had they just offered the record for free inst3d of parking it in people's library.

The 500 mil is as impressive figure to be sure, as is the 33 mil, but when you dig into these numbers the story is a little more nuanced.

Of course the 33 million number is pulling every possible "access" of the album, no matter how brief.

But I guess I would say that it probably means about 15 million more people probably heard some part of this album over NLOTH...

I haven't heard miracle once here in the uk. Not on bbc radio 2 or absolute radio which are all over U2 normally. No advert here either.

Steve right played it on radio 2 yesterday, then promptly talked over the outro!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

Haven't seen this one posted here yet.... U2’s surprise album Songs of Innocence, reviewed. (From Slate.com, originally featured in Vulture.)

This one irritates me from start to finish. "U2’s Surprise Album Is Totally Gorgeous, Totally Boring, And at Least a Little Creepy". So you think the album's gorgeous (which is a good thing - right?)... but you find it boring (so that's bad - isn't it?) and it's creepy ( :huh: - you mean you found the delivery method creepy, not the music itself... or do you?) :confused: :doh:

This, particularly, bugs the crap out of me: discussing her appreciation of SLAB, with the exception of Bono's "endearingly wobbly falsetto", the writer says "Except for that moment, actually, Songs of Innocence never sounds anything less than gorgeous—but given its sponsored rollout and the band’s near-evangelical zeal over the Apple partnership, I can’t help but feel a little cynical about exactly why." Wait... what?? :scratch:

Isn't that a bit like having a complimentary appetizer presented to you in your favorite restaurant, eating it (and enjoying it!!), only to then determine because it was brought to your table by the owner that you don't trust his intentions and convincing yourself you didn't actually like the food after all???? :crack:

Haven't seen this one posted here yet.... U2’s surprise album Songs of Innocence, reviewed. (From Slate.com, originally featured in Vulture.)

This one irritates me from start to finish. "U2’s Surprise Album Is Totally Gorgeous, Totally Boring, And at Least a Little Creepy". So you think the album's gorgeous (which is a good thing - right?)... but you find it boring (so that's bad - isn't it?) and it's creepy ( :huh: - you mean you found the delivery method creepy, not the music itself... or do you?) :confused: :doh:

This, particularly, bugs the crap out of: discussing her appreciation of SLAB, with the exception of Bono's "endearingly wobbly falsetto", the writer says "Except for that moment, actually, Songs of Innocence never sounds anything less than gorgeous—but given its sponsored rollout and the band’s near-evangelical zeal over the Apple partnership, I can’t help but feel a little cynical about exactly why." Wait... what?? :grr:

Isn't that a bit like having a complimentary appetizer presented to you in your favorite restaurant, eating it (and enjoying it!!), only to then determine because it was brought to your table by the owner that you don't trust his intentions and convincing yourself you didn't actually like the food after all???? :crack:

It seems actually like a good review to me. Anyway, I agree with the writer's point that the album really takes off with those three side 2 songs -- Raised By Wolves, Cedarwood, and the truly stunning Sleep.

It seems actually like a good review to me. Anyway, I agree with the writer's point that the album really takes off with those three side 2 songs -- Raised By Wolves, Cedarwood, and the truly stunning Sleep.

I actually agree with that point. The first half is growing on me slowly, but those three are definitely some of (if not the) strongest points on the album. I don't understand how she negates her enjoyment of a particular song because of the album's delivery process. :confused: They're two different issues.

If they have had 33 million downloads/streams in 6 days then what do you predict the final figure will be on october 13th?

If that figures huge all this bad press about people not wanting the album will go away very quickly

If they have had 33 million downloads/streams in 6 days then what do you predict the final figure will be on october 13th?

If that figures huge all this bad press about people not wanting the album will go away very quickly

I agree with Nick66 in that I'm sure 33 million is counting every single "access" possible. That being said. I think that we can be pretty safe saying at least 60 million. We have a whole month to go after all. I wouldn't even be surprised if it hit 75 million.

I do think it will need to hit 75 to 100 million to get people thinking - hey this was a pretty good idea after all.

I do think they have a decent shot at number 1 on billboard their first week, but they will be going up against Jessie J and Florida Georgia Line. Both of which could be big sellers.

I doubt they will top 110,000 but we are in uncharted territory, so tough to say.

I agree with Nick66 in that I'm sure 33 million is counting every single "access" possible. That being said. I think that we can be pretty safe saying at least 60 million. We have a whole month to go after all. I wouldn't even be surprised if it hit 75 million.

I do think it will need to hit 75 to 100 million to get people thinking - hey this was a pretty good idea after all.

I do think they have a decent shot at number 1 on billboard their first week, but they will be going up against Jessie J and Florida Georgia Line. Both of which could be big sellers.

I doubt they will top 110,000 but we are in uncharted territory, so tough to say.

I'm going with 230k. That is very high for an album that has been free for 5weeks but I think U2 has a massive "die hard" fan base that are going to show up for(in order of significance)

1) Two new songs
2) Seven acoustic versions
3) Two new remixes
4) The physical copy (hardcore fans love this just to actually have and some say sound is better)

I also think there will be some new fans that will come out too for the above reasons because they liked the album. A lot also hinges on radio play and if Miracle takes off. Not to mention, there are a total of 8 SOI songs being played to some degree on AAA, California is being played on Alternative (in addition to Miracle) and Ceaderwood Road is being played on Active Rock stations (not many but still).

230k!

Back
Top Bottom