All critical, "professional" reviews of SOI here, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
George Stroumboulopoulos on U2 & SOI on iTunes

Canadian broadcaster George Stroumboulopoulos did an interview with a Greater Toronto Area magazine.

Strombo is a BIG U2 fan and interviewed the band on more than one occasion during his tenure at Much Music.

Here's an excerpt from Strombo's piece that mentions U2.

-----

...he explains how he looks up to people like Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl, Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder and musician and female activist Kathleen Hanna. But, aside from “his two dads” Bob Dylan and Tom Waits, the guy he really idolizes is Bono, lead singer of his favourite band U2. He just can’t understand why anyone could dislike either. “Why? What don’t you like about him?” he invites. Is it the fact that he’s been successful writing his own songs with the same group of friends for the past 30 years? Or that he costs himself record sales because he cares about people you’ll never know? “What’s not to like about him?” Stroumboulopoulos says. “You don’t like his songs? OK, then that’s not your taste. But how could you not like what U2 represents?”

He feels the way people reacted to the free U2 record, Songs of Innocence, which was downloaded directly to all Apple iTunes accounts, says everything you need to know about humanity. People steal music all the time, and then when “one of the greatest bands of all time” gives away an album for free, everyone complains. “‘Well, we didn’t opt in.’ I don’t opt in to billboards. I don’t opt in to Beyoncé selling me Pepsi in my neighbourhood,” he says, practically glowing with white-hot zeal. “We don’t opt in to most things in our life. Give me something positive, right. That’s what I want. The world’s heavy enough. The real darkness is inside you anyway.”

-----

Full interview here if anyone is interested.

George did a good interview with Bono in 2000 in the back of a limo en route to the airport. Also check out the U2 does Much special from 2001.

I think Strombo is a great guy...when I was younger I listened to his radio show all the time and always tuned into The Punk Show and The New Music- he introduced me to so many great acts that my little suburban brain might have otherwise missed. In another life when I was pursuing journalism, our college class did a trip to Strombo's show at the CBC and he stayed with our class for an hour after, just chatting and sharing advice. He brought up U2 in another context then and said the same thing - how do you hate this guy, who works hard for others, who is still with the same band from when he was a teenager?

I like his point about SOI! Nice to see some strong support for our boys.

I'm pretty sure he posts here :sexywink:

As for his comments, i agree with what he is saying. It's impossible to know but i wonder how many of the people complaining about the "free" album ran out and bought an iphone 6 as soon as they could?

If people in general were half as smart as their pets, this world would be a much better place.

I don't know, he's not making sense. Getting a U2 record that you didn't "opt in" for is OK because we're bombarded with ads that we didn't ask for? That kind of works against the U2 stunt, and ignores the increasing commonality of billboard bans and fights against billboards.

I don't want to have Beyonce shoved in my face selling Pepsi, but I don't want U2 shoved in my face selling some Apple product either. It's the act that's bad, not the perpetrator.

George is a great guy though, I've met him a few times over the years and he's always been really nice.

All critical, "professional" reviews of SOI here, Pt. 2

It's interesting that I keep hearing how bad this album was received and yet it seems to be making the top of several year end lists from these two to Rolling Stone to Rolling Stone readers.

Granted NME called them the worst band but to me in order to make a "worst" list, you had to be noticed in the first place and stand out in the writers mind. Music is subjective, so nothing is really "bad" or "great", it either is note worthy or meh and this album when you cut through the noise seems to be more note worthy.

Case in point, if I said have you heard the "Macarena" song? You would all say yes....I think it's utter shit but here I am talking about it almost 20 years later, so it had an impact.

Lastly, I hope everyone that read this gets that song stuck in your head!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Music is subjective unless you are talking about Nickelback. Then it's in legislatively declared crap.

Music is subjective unless you are talking about Nickelback. Then it's in legislatively declared crap.

Now there is a lot of hate for Nickelback everywhere! Its universal and I think the mutual hate for that band could unite Israel and Palestine!

With that said......I don't mind them too much and actually like some of their songs(although as individuals they may be douche bags for all I know as I never watched an interview with them).

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom