Album Delay: The real reasons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
humor.jpg

Hey - you're derailing my thread. You want the real reason? They went to France, listened to the album, tried to pick a single to release before the end of Sep to get in this Grammy cycle, and nothing cut it. The songs sounded too much like Bomb. So it's back to the drawing board. Now get back to work on the posters.

:mad:

Could be true.

Except why did Eno, Lanios and Lillywhite say the music coming out like Moment of Surrender and Cedders of Lebanon was their best ever.

That is what doesn't make sense.

thanks for listening to me.

And neither do I. But it's true. Opinions and appearing to know what really is going on is too different things.

Assumptions without any real base of truth just make an ass out of u and me.

I'm telling you though. POP is great. Give it a chance.

You have to always consider what i'm saying as just an opinion of course. But i have the right to be sure of something and the be right or wrong. I'm sure the result was not good and that's why any band would rework an already done album. Maybe i'm wrong, maybe i'm right. Who knows? I never said that my opinion was the absolut truth.

About POP...

Let me tell you a little tale...

I have gave that album all the chance in the world!!!!

Back in 97 i was in the peak of my youth. I moved to another city, i lived alone. I just hanged out with young people. It was the beggining of college time. POP had the chance to be the soundtrack of that period. I was a U2 fan since JT days. When it was released i was in front of the music store to buy it. (OMG!! Now i remember something amazing! It was a worldwide release here in Brazil!! We got the album at March 3rd, the same as US and Europe). Anyway, it had a great media report and repercussion! I listened it fully for weeks! It would be a great time! A new phase of my life opening with U2 at the soundtrack! How could this be more perfect?
But then boom! No one cared. NO ONE. I didn't. I didn't even like it. It was not good. I was not memorable. There weren't songs that people liked to listen. No SBS, Angels, One, no WOWY. It wasn't played on parties, or bars, or meetings, barbecues. Then came oasis with that blistering vocal of Wonderwall... At the same time people discovered their previous album
DM. Nothing made more sense than listening to Supersonic, Rock and roll star or Live forever. People dig it. I dig it. Girls dig it. I never heard anyone sing along Discotheque. Or Staring at the Sun(although i love this one).
Then came The Verve...
When i go back at that time in my memories i just hear the orchestra at the begining of BSS...

POP was irelevant. U2 was irelevant. It was a dark period for a U2 fan.

Of course when ATYCLB came out U2 made part of people's lifes again. I was more mature. Everything was diferent. Stuck in moment made sense. Beautiful Day was upflting for people that were not that young anymore and didn't have much direction...
Elevation was played in bars and parties. People sang along.

U2 were U2 again.

^hey how bout taking ur conversation in the proper thread in this forum and stop derailing it..
this was a thread for fun and not serious reasons for the album delay, hence the poster pics..that is the intention of this thread.

^hey how bout taking ur conversation in the proper thread in this forum and stop derailing it..
this was a thread for fun and not serious reasons for the album delay, hence the poster pics..that is the intention of this thread.

Sorry, i just had to get that out of my system finally! After 10 years!! I'm free of POP!!! :wave::wave:

Yeah, as much as I want to stick up for POP (U2's best and most vastly underrated album) and debate on and on endlessly about it, I'd rather see more hilarious stuff like this thread was meant for.

From Bono's diary:

9/05/08

Dearest diary,

Tough day today. Larry said that he would quit the band, sell the house in Eze, frame Adam for green tea abuse on TMZ.com, take Edge's hat collection once and for all, and break my sunglasses if we released the album as-is. He used words like "innovative," "edgy," "too fast," "too many lyrics," "not enough ballads," "not enough like our brilliant last album" -- and worst of all, he said, "it sounds like you're expecting me to play on every fookin' track." He and Edge promptly had it out -- two men who make their living off hand-eye coordination duking it out. Of course, by "duking it out" I mean they had a rock-off. It ended when Larry's back gave out and Edge set himself on fire. So kind of a draw. It was left to me and Adam to make the final decision, but since I was actually not in the studio -- I actually haven't been there since Feb 07, I've been Skype'ing in my vocals, and am currently in Sierra Leone, where there's no Internet or Hot Tropic -- I gather Adam watched Edge throw himself into Hanover and Larry collapse on the floor, looked around at no one in particular and said, "So, em...reconvene in a month?"

The best part of all this? Now we can rewrite all Eno and Lanois' material so none of their stuff gets on. Their music was terrible -- half the time we weren't even recording them anyway. Eno just taped me snoring in the studio one afternoon, added in some vocal effects, and pronounced it a new song. C'mon -- that's not a song -- there's no "kneel"s or "soul"s in there!

Note to self: don't let news of this get out.

From Bono's diary:

9/05/08

Dearest diary,

Tough day today. Larry said that he would quit the band, sell the house in Eze, frame Adam for green tea abuse on TMZ.com, take Edge's hat collection once and for all, and break my sunglasses if we released the album as-is. He used words like "innovative," "edgy," "too fast," "too many lyrics," "not enough ballads," "not enough like our brilliant last album" -- and worst of all, he said, "it sounds like you're expecting me to play on every fookin' track." He and Edge promptly had it out -- two men who make their living off hand-eye coordination duking it out. Of course, by "duking it out" I mean they had a rock-off. It ended when Larry's back gave out and Edge set himself on fire. So kind of a draw. It was left to me and Adam to make the final decision, but since I was actually not in the studio -- I actually haven't been there since Feb 07, I've been Skype'ing in my vocals, and am currently in Sierra Leone, where there's no Internet or Hot Tropic -- I gather Adam watched Edge throw himself into Hanover and Larry collapse on the floor, looked around at no one in particular and said, "So, em...reconvene in a month?"

The best part of all this? Now we can rewrite all Eno and Lanois' material so none of their stuff gets on. Their music was terrible -- half the time we weren't even recording them anyway. Eno just taped me snoring in the studio one afternoon, added in some vocal effects, and pronounced it a new song. C'mon -- that's not a song -- there's no "kneel"s or "soul"s in there!

:applaud: Just luurve Bono :flirt:

From Bono's diary:

9/05/08

Dearest diary,

Legendary :applaud::up::lol::lmao:

Best laugh i've had for a week. :D

I guess I'm one of the few people who likes Pop AND ATYCLB. :shrug:

The trouble is that if someone says something negative about "Pop" or JT or ATYCLB or AB or whatever, they suddenly "hate" the album. I don't hate any of U2's work. JT is great - but many songs sound too similar. It's a weakness of the album. "Pop" has a lot of great ideas, but U2 weren't as innovative as I expected and the album didn't flow. one I can't have this mixed view - it's love or hate or else! :yes:

So the real reason for the delay? I have a feeling it's to due to:

1) Marketing - granted big holiday sales are good, but several artists proved one could still have huge first week sales. By coming out in March or so, U2 won't have to compete with anyone and could own the charts for a while. Also, they might be able to get a Sirius station, MTV time, time on various TV shows, etc.

2) Shift in album sound or songs or the album proved to not quite be what U2 hoped. Personal views - we'll never know there. I'm sure some of us would have loved the first rendition of HTDAAB - but we'll never know. The same may be true here too.

3) Bono isn't lying - U2 maybe really are in a creative boom, which may indeed alter the album. Could be a double album? :drool: Could be an album full of great b-sides again? :drool: Could be both? :drool: :drool: Or it could turn into a combination of some songs now and some great new songs.

4) Boobies.

Those are all great. What a talented bunch we have here :) I'm sure if the guys ever check out this site...which I'm sure they do...they'll enjoy them just as much as we are.

All right, I'm hitting this damn thread with the defibrillator 3 times and then that's it.

CLEAR!!

I buffed this one up a little, so rev 2...

bonoprezposter.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom