Alan Cross interview with Daniel Lanois / 360 Degree Stage Set-Up / Updated 01-22-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^Nice 1. :up:

So we'll be getting the first detailed interview with one of the producers very soon. :hmm:

If this is even a midrange song on the album the record will be great....well worth the wait at least for me....:)

This Allan Cross is really milking the shit out of getting people to go to his blog, huh?

It looks like he's got a good formula going on until the March release. He better milk it while it lasts.

This Allan Cross is really milking the shit out of getting people to go to his blog, huh?

It looks like he's got a good formula going on until the March release. He better milk it while it lasts.

yas. because u2 is his bread and butter
cheering.gif

would be nice if he would actually post the interview the same time he advertises it.

Alan Cross is the senior program director at102.1 The Edge so ther would be a bit of conflict of interest if he posted here I would assume

He's using Twitter to communicate to us, and staying at arm's length

Alan Cross is the senior program director at102.1 The Edge so ther would be a bit of conflict of interest if he posted here I would assume

He's using Twitter to communicate to us, and staying at arm's length

bit annoying that over 2 hours ago he said the transcript was in his blog and its still not there though

well thats part of the game. its the tease. he's got it down to a science.

its getting pretty fucking obnoxious to be quite honest.

i agree. and this article pretty much sums up the "alan cross + u2 fans" experiment going on right now (sorry if this has already been posted):

Toronto musicologist gets advance listening to U2 single

Toronto musicologist gets advance listening to U2 single

Sandra Sperounes
Canwest News Service

Monday, January 19, 2009

EDMONTON - U2's new single, "Get On Your Boots," is finally hitting the airwaves.

It's from the group's first album in four-plus years, No Line on the Horizon, due March 3, and will be available on iTunes today.

Toronto music geek Alan Cross, who hosts two syndicated radio shows (ExploreMusic and The Ongoing History of New Music), recently posted a review of the single, causing quite the sensation on blogs, Twitter, and U2 fan sites.

"That was absolutely fascinating,'' he says. "It was done as an experiment. Here we have, arguably, the biggest band in the world with the biggest active fan base who have gone years without a record. They're ready for 2009 to be the year of their band again. They've heard all the rumours, they've went through all the forums, they've looked at all the websites, so they're primed and ready to go.''

Here's a chronology of his online experiment:

*Thursday, Jan. 8: Cross posts on his Music Geek Blog, available on New Rock Music Discovery ExploreMusic.

"Highly encrypted copies are now being distributed to Universal Music outposts around the world,'' he writes. "I may get to hear the song as early as Monday. I'll report back ASAP.''

*Friday, Jan. 9: Cross updates his Twitter account. "I'm going to get to hear the new U2 song "Get Your Boots On" in about an hour,'' he writes at 10:51 a. m."Will report back.''

At 3:01 p.m., he listens to the song on "an unassuming, unlabelled CD- R'' -- in the company of a Universal Music rep. He then sends a quick description of the single to his Twitter account. The number of subscribers more than triples.

*Sunday, Jan. 11: Cross receives e-mails from U2 fans -- he says 1,200 were waiting in one particular online forum to read more of his views. He sends an e-mail to Zoo_Fly, a member of Interference.com's forum.

"(Cross) has said that he has prepared a long blog about "GYBO/GOYB" for Monday,'' posts Zoo_Fly. "No other details were given, except for the link to the blog, where the info will presumably be up sometime tomorrow!''

A few hours later, Cross posts a longer analysis on his blog, which attracts more than 10,000 hits from around the world -- particularly Toronto, London, New York, Germany, Eastern Europe and Chile.

"This is NOT a back-to-basics guitar/bass/drums track like 'Vertigo' or even 'Beautiful Day.' There's some definite sonic evolution going on here,'' he writes.

"... Bono manages to rhyme 'submarine' with 'gasoline'' and says something about 'don't talk to me about the state of nations.'"

"There's a portion of the melody that somehow reminds me of the cadence of the verses in Elvis Costello's 'Pump It Up,' but as I write this, I'm not completely sure. Still, part of the song reminded me of . . . something else.''

* Monday, Jan. 12: Universal Music officially announces "Get On Your Boots" as the first single.

*Wednesday, Jan. 14: I talk to Cross about his experience.

He says he's so intrigued by the reaction to his online review, he hopes to blog about the rest of U2's new album -- if Universal and the band will let him.

"This is what I would like to do -- I would like to sit in a room, with a representative of the label and the album, and I would Tweet or blog first impressions in real time as the album plays,'' he says.

"Let's see what kind of response results. It's not ego gratification, I'm just fascinated by how music fans are communicating with each other.''

© Canwest News Service 2009

Back
Top Bottom