Alan Cross interview with Daniel Lanois / 360 Degree Stage Set-Up / Updated 01-22-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So wait, is that only part 2? Where is the full interview?

Part one has a media player at the beginning too, so I'm guessing he's releasing the audio for each part separately.

The so called "legendary" Alan Cross is dividing the interview because he's obviously trying to drive hits to his blog.

Its annoying and unnecessary.....but that's just me. Maybe I don't see the "genius" in the man like everyone else does. I just see the ploy.

You've never heard of papers or magazines serializing articles or interviews? Sure, he's trying to attract more people to his blog, hoping they'll like what they see over several days, and become regular readers, there's nothing wrong with that. If you've got such a bug up your ass about it, I don't know why you're continuing to read it. :huh: Protest by not giving him the hits. In the meantime, many of us do enjoy his work and know that he adds a lot to the industry in this country, and around the world.

OK I can;t go through all these posts what's the bottom line with the stage set up? In the round would be :drool::hyper::drool: I saw Prince with that set up and I said it would be great for U2 to do it...That would be amazing! Please no stadium shows though :pray:

Part one has a media player at the beginning too, so I'm guessing he's releasing the audio for each part separately.

You've never heard of papers or magazines serializing articles or interviews? Sure, he's trying to attract more people to his blog, hoping they'll like what they see over several days, and become regular readers, there's nothing wrong with that. If you've got such a bug up your ass about it, I don't know why you're continuing to read it. :huh: Protest by not giving him the hits. In the meantime, many of us do know that he adds a lot to the industry in this country, and around the world.

You obviously missed the article on one of the threads where he talks about trying an experiment to try to drive more people to his blog. This experiment seemed to work he said, because all of a sudden his site went from getting no hits to 100,000. Have I heard of papers and magazines doing that? of course I have. But I feel that he's taking it a bit farther then need be. I mean c'mon, its not like he interviewed Lanois for hours. He could easily have cut the interview to TWO parts at the most.

BTW, who said I was reading it? I'm going by what people are posting on here. They are cutting and pasting the interviews on the various threads. What I have an issue with is the "experiment" that he's executing to fuck with us fans for his own good. If he's got info then reveal it as it happens as opposed to hording it.

I think I'm more then allowed to share my opinion and you are more than allowed to ignore it, is that not true? Unless YOU'RE the one with the bug up your ass, as you put it.

You obviously missed the article on one of the threads where he talks about trying an experiment to try to drive more people to his blog. This experiment seemed to work he said, because all of a sudden his site went from getting no hits to 100,000. Have I heard of papers and magazines doing that? of course I have. But I feel that he's taking it a bit farther then need be. I mean c'mon, its not like he interviewed Lanois for hours. He could easily have cut the interview to TWO parts at the most.

BTW, who said I was reading it? I'm going by what people are posting on here. They are cutting and pasting the interviews on the various threads. What I have an issue with is the "experiment" that he's executing to fuck with us fans for his own good. If he's got info then reveal it as it happens as opposed to hording it.

I think I'm more then allowed to share my opinion and you are more than allowed to ignore it, is that not true? Unless YOU'RE the one with the bug up your ass, as you put it.

Lol, he's sharing information he got with an online fan community - I would imagine that after that, it would be interesting to note increased traffic to his blog. It's not like he's committing unethical, torturous experiments! It's not a huge conspiracy, either. It is what it is.

Your overreaction is hilarious! If that's how you enjoy spending your time - complaining about a music journalist that you have no knowledge of, and claim only to be reading here, then have at it. Just seems a little over the top and bizarre to me. :)

Lol, he's sharing information he got with an online fan community - I would imagine that after that, it would be interesting to note increased traffic to his blog. It's not like he's committing unethical, torturous experiments! It's not a huge conspiracy, either. It is what it is.

Your overreaction is hilarious! If that's how you enjoy spending your time - complaining about a music journalist that you have no knowledge of, and claim only to be reading here, then have at it. Just seems a little over the top and bizarre to me. :)

I'm merely sharing my opinion. Just because you don't share it doesn't mean you have to berate me for doing the exact same thing you're doing....sharing YOUR opinion. How is that "over the top"? :hmm: I don't like what he's doing...whats wrong with that? There's plenty of people on hear making a case for why they love or hate the new single in more "over the top" ways then I am with this matter...so I don't understand why what I'm doing is so hilarious.

Hey man....you sound like an okay guy. I don't hold anything against your post. We agree to disagree...simple as that. Lets move on and be civil and maybe discuss some other stuff other than this.

Just listened to the interview. Very interesting. I'm even more excited about Moment of Surrender now after hearing what Danny had to say about it.

"Just listened to the interview. Very interesting. I'm even more excited about Moment of Surrender now after hearing what Danny had to say about it".

What did Danny say last unicorn?

:drool:

Part 3 is up:

The Music Geek Blog - Explore Music

I had a chance to talk to Daniel Lanois on Monday about the new U2 album. Here's part three of that conversation.

This time Daniel talks about other tracks on the album.

Daniel Lanois: Well there is a few other titles, that have kind of exotic beginnings. There's one called “At the Moment of Surrender,” which is one of my personal favorites.

It's pretty much a collaborated piece. Myself and Eno are included as song writers on that one. It’s a very exotic and fantastic foundation.

Alan Cross: Is that the 7 Min song?

DL: Yes. It’s beautiful, it’s passionate, and full of soul. I’m very proud of it.

And it’s one of the first things we have created together. There were a few more like that, that came out of the early session. It was pretty much a creative and writing environment, and we have always done well that way.

Because a big part off U2 is its capacity to improvise --- and Eno and I also love to do that --- we could come up with several new tracks. So the beginning of that album had that freedom where people were allowed to bring whatever they wanted to the table.

AC: “Get on your Boots” is track 6 on the record, which was oddly deep for a first single. And it has me wondering: what happens through the first 5 songs of the CD?

DL: The first few songs on the CD are pretty magical. In fact, “No line on the Horizon,” the title song, is a fantastic mixture of hand played instruments; everybody really going for it. It’s kind of like science fiction rock and roll.

It’s definitely an incredible piece, and I can’t wait for you to hear it.

There is another one called “Being Born,” which again has that kind of band vitality. It's one of my favorite pieces on the new record for sure.

AC: I can’t wait to hear it! I’ve been told but I'll just ask you: Is it more “Achtung Baby” then “Atomic Bomb?” Or is it more "Pop" then “Atomic Aomb?"

DL: I believe this new record scores very high with its innovation. I suppose we can draw some comparisons to “Achtung Baby” that way because it was also an innovated time when we were determined to break some kind of ground sonically. And I think the same thing has happened here.

I wouldn’t make a direct comparison because all the ideas and the sounds are brand new. But I suppose it's similar in the sense that the band had the appetite to do something wildly new and interesting. So it’s less of a band huddle, and more of an exotic, innovated, huddle.

I have much more from Daniel next week. Check my blog on Monday for part four of that interview.

DL: I believe this new record scores very high with its innovation. I suppose we can draw some comparisons to “Achtung Baby” that way because it was also an innovated time when we were determined to break some kind of ground sonically. And I think the same thing has happened here.

I wouldn’t make a direct comparison because all the ideas and the sounds are brand new. But I suppose it's similar in the sense that the band had the appetite to do something wildly new and interesting. So it’s less of a band huddle, and more of an exotic, innovated, huddle.

This is the kind of paragraph that is keeping my cynicism at bay!!! :hyper:

I've never heard of the other two, yet I've been aware of Alan Cross for many years now. I think any hardcore Canadian music fan knows of him, and he also has a US audience due to his shows being archived and streamed online.

It's ridiculous of people to dismiss him just because they haven't heard of him, but if that's what they want to do, fine. They're missing out on a wealth of information, though.

:up:

But VP...I could hardly believe my ears...you've never heard of Shep or Headly? Honestly that's a shocker to me...Shep was the man...Pirate Radio Sessions? Saturday night? Or maybe you weren't a huge CFNY listener? Or maybe I didn't get out enough and was glued to the radio (yeah, that's probably it...Bracebridge in -25 degree celcius weather as a 16 year old will do that to ya lol)

^Erica Ehm and Bono 1982

haha

photos_1981-2.jpg

That is so cool...but wait...that's posted on her site...that attention whore, using pics of Bono to draw traffic to her site :tsk:

:wink:

You know, I would tell you to go to hell and along with a bunch of expletives like many people tend to rely on when they post responses to people they dislike or have differing opinions with...but honestly you're not really worth me even typing such a response.

I don't come to this site to deal with every little nitwit and simpleton that responds to everyone of my posts in a negative way. I come here to exchange ideas and thoughts with people that I respect and have some sort of a kinship with. You are obviously part of the former and not the latter.

Well considering you did take the time and effort to tell me to go to hell and call me personal names, I'd say the joke's on you. You're more than free to type whatever expletives you want, although you won't be around much longer if you do. So have at it. For the record, YOU attacked me first in another thread. YOU are the one who makes assumptions about people and then rips them with your smarmy condescension. And now you're asking me to ignore you? :applaud:

you've never heard of papers or magazines serializing articles or interviews? Sure, he's trying to attract more people to his blog, hoping they'll like what they see over several days, and become regular readers, there's nothing wrong with that. If you've got such a bug up your ass about it, i don't know why you're continuing to read it. :huh: Protest by not giving him the hits. In the meantime, many of us do enjoy his work and know that he adds a lot to the industry in this country, and around the world.

qfmft

The so called "legendary" Alan Cross is dividing the interview because he's obviously trying to drive hits to his blog.

Its annoying and unnecessary.....but that's just me. Maybe I don't see the "genius" in the man like everyone else does. I just see the ploy.

This is the second time I have seen you mention this, the first time I was assuming it was just because you were ignorant.

But now it's obvious that you are doing this to simply antagonize others. Well done :up:

:up:

But VP...I could hardly believe my ears...you've never heard of Shep or Headly? Honestly that's a shocker to me...Shep was the man...Pirate Radio Sessions? Saturday night? Or maybe you weren't a huge CFNY listener? Or maybe I didn't get out enough and was glued to the radio (yeah, that's probably it...Bracebridge in -25 degree celcius weather as a 16 year old will do that to ya lol)

At the time, I wasn't a big fan of post-punk new wavy music that veered into electro-pop (I'm still not a fan of a lot of it - Depeche Mode? Meh - although I've gained more of an appreciation for some of it than I used to have), and that seemed to be a lot of what they played back then. At least that's what seemed to be on whenever I flipped the dial to that station. I was more of a Q107 listener, in their pre-classic rock format days.

And yeah, back then, I rarely would have been home/around a radio Saturday nights. I used to have a life. Sigh. What's happened to me? ;)

I know many people assume the 'dallas' clip from the u2.com vids is White as Snow, but Lanois' comments in pt.3 lead me to believe it's MOS. in the video you see Lanois on the pedal steel and Eno on keys, they're clearly contributing. and, it's the sort of chord progression that could last 7 minutes.. it's sounds like a cyclical progression

I could be wrong of course

Back
Top Bottom