Alan Cross interview with Daniel Lanois / 360 Degree Stage Set-Up / Updated 01-22-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am really looking forward to MOJO's review-the first serious review of the album in full. Should be in the next two days.

Well, seeing WHO it came from....I would render the comment irrelevant. But it was made towards me.

Yeah, I was just wondering why he would be considered a legend and why anyone outside of Toronto (if that's even right) would have any idea who he is.

Yeah, I was just wondering why he would be considered a legend and why anyone outside of Toronto (if that's even right) would have any idea who he is.

I've known him as a radio DJ personality and a writer on music over the last 15 years or so.....but he probably is not known much in communities outside of Canada

His radio show is syndicated across Canada, plus is licensed by Air Canada for in-flight rock music.

So he is influential in a way, and remains known among music industry folks to promote music

I've known him as a radio DJ personality and a writer on music over the last 15 years or so.....but he probably is not known much in communities outside of Canada

His radio show is syndicated across Canada, plus is licensed by Air Canada for in-flight rock music.

So he is influential in a way, and remains known among music industry folks to promote music

Yes.

He is influential and is well respected. Is he a legendary in the vein of say a Chris Sheppard or a Deadly Hedly? Maybe not, but he knows his shit, and to suggest that he somehow needs to split up an interview he had with U2 in order get himself more well known is frankly ludicrous.

Hey, not my concern how you amuse yourself. Also not my concern if you haven't heard of a well known musicologist. :shrug:

Really? You know me? :lol:

So...I suppose we can by extension assume that anything, considering WHO it comes from, that you post is likely trite, pretentious and asinine?

Yes.

He is influential and is well respected. Is he a legendary in the vein of say a Chris Sheppard or a Deadly Hedly? Maybe not, but he knows his shit, and to suggest that he somehow needs to split up an interview he had with U2 in order get himself more well known is frankly ludicrous.

multi-quote is your friend :up:

I believe they said on their website "check this space next week", and that was last Friday. I expect it tomorrow.

Awesome! If we get another big set of track by track descriptions, we should be able to find out what happened to Every Breaking Wave and Tripoli as well as what Fez-Being Born and White as Snow are. Also, this will be the first review we'll get where they likely heard all the final songs in order, right? Very exciting.

Re: The 360 Stage Setup.

I thought it was a great idea until I read "still favoring one side". That's an awful idea.

Metallica's current tour, like their 2004 tour, was "in the round", in the center of the arena. Lars Ulrich's drumkit rotated in between songs, performing a full 360 by the end of the show. This way no side of the stage was favored and all fans saw them equally. It was a great idea, and, in my opinion, the only proper way to do a 360 stage.

I don't care what Daniel Lanois says, I don't want to look at Larry Mullen's back all night, especially if the rest of the band are following suit.

Re: The 360 Stage Setup.

I thought it was a great idea until I read "still favoring one side". That's an awful idea.

Metallica's current tour, like their 2004 tour, was "in the round", in the center of the arena. Lars Ulrich's drumkit rotated in between songs, performing a full 360 by the end of the show. This way no side of the stage was favored and all fans saw them equally. It was a great idea, and, in my opinion, the only proper way to do a 360 stage.

I don't care what Daniel Lanois says, I don't want to look at Larry Mullen's back all night, especially if the rest of the band are following suit.

It will probably be similar to what they've done in the past with catwalks, hearts, bomb shelters, etc. They'll have a main set-up with at least one major change, and Bono will be all over the place all night. Being on the floor facing the back of the band will kinda suck though.

Yes.

I've never heard of the other two, yet I've been aware of Alan Cross for many years now. I think any hardcore Canadian music fan knows of him, and he also has a US audience due to his shows being archived and streamed online.

It's ridiculous of people to dismiss him just because they haven't heard of him, but if that's what they want to do, fine. They're missing out on a wealth of information, though. And if I remember correctly, Rick Allen was set up in the middle of the stage, and he and his set rotated.

I was just wondering the other day what happened to all those early MuchMusic VJs

Erica Ehm
Christopher Ward
Michael Williams
Steve Anthony

Ah, the good ol' days.

Steve Anthony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Ward_(songwriter)

Erica Ehm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Williams_(Canadian_TV_personality)

Regarding the upcoming tour being 'in the round,' if they're favouring one side of the stage, then it's not truly in the round, is it? Anyone who's ever seen a true in the round show will know what I mean. When Def Leppard did it, there was a lot of movement around the various parts of the stage by the band members, so that all areas got great views of all members of the band, at times.

Also, I'm not sure if I missed something, but where is the assumption of stadium shows in North America coming from? Is it because of the comment about the sightlines? If so, that could be referring to the elimination of sightline blockers that the band can control - screens, speaker stacks, etc - and not to actual posts that are in the venue. I just don't buy that they're going to go strictly stadium in North America, especially due to the fact that this album may not be as commercially accessible, and also given the current economy. I'll believe it when there's official confirmation.

There was no mention of "in the round" in Lanois' comments, just that there will be seating "360 degrees" around the venues.

Also, I'm not sure if I missed something, but where is the assumption of stadium shows in North America coming from? Is it because of the comment about the sightlines? If so, that could be referring to the elimination of sightline blockers that the band can control - screens, speaker stacks, etc - and not to actual posts that are in the venue. I just don't buy that they're going to go strictly stadium in North America, especially due to the fact that this album may not be as commercially accessible, and also given the current economy. I'll believe it when there's official confirmation.

Lanois' comments are clearly referring to Stadia - they are completely redundant if he was talking about arenas as he'd be describing exactly the setup that U2 have used in arenas for the last two years. What he's excited about is that they are going to transfer this setup to stadia and that somehow (through some miracle of engineering) there will be no pillars as part of the stage set holding up screens, speakers etc...

This is not to say that they won't be touring arenas also - its just to clarify what Lanois's comments are really relating to.

^Erica Ehm and Bono 1982

haha

photos_1981-2.jpg

the whole interview is now posted in audio form on his blog....nothing really new, danny talks a little about moment of surrender, nice to hear him talk about it though.

There's got to be something more than just "in the round". I talked to someone who is heavily involved in the concert production, and he wouldn't say what their plan was, but he said it would be a "game changer if they pull it off". So there has to be something pretty unique to this planned concert setup.

There was no mention of "in the round" in Lanois' comments, just that there will be seating "360 degrees" around the venues.

Lanois' comments are clearly referring to Stadia - they are completely redundant if he was talking about arenas as he'd be describing exactly the setup that U2 have used in arenas for the last two years. What he's excited about is that they are going to transfer this setup to stadia and that somehow (through some miracle of engineering) there will be no pillars as part of the stage set holding up screens, speakers etc...

This is not to say that they won't be touring arenas also - its just to clarify what Lanois's comments are really relating to.

Thanks for clarifying. I probably skimmed parts, and didn't pick up on all of it. That'll teach me. :)

There's got to be something more than just "in the round". I talked to someone who is heavily involved in the concert production, and he wouldn't say what their plan was, but he said it would be a "game changer if they pull it off". So there has to be something pretty unique to this planned concert setup.

Interesting. :up:

you too?

HA get it? see what i did theer? :hi5:

HA!

Your posts have been killing me lately! Well played!

Really? You know me? :lol:

So...I suppose we can by extension assume that anything, considering WHO it comes from, that you post is likely trite, pretentious and asinine?

You know, I would tell you to go to hell and along with a bunch of expletives like many people tend to rely on when they post responses to people they dislike or have differing opinions with...but honestly you're not really worth me even typing such a response.

I don't come to this site to deal with every little nitwit and simpleton that responds to everyone of my posts in a negative way. I come here to exchange ideas and thoughts with people that I respect and have some sort of a kinship with. You are obviously part of the former and not the latter.

How about I just ignore you and your posts, and you do the same?

with that I say: :wave:

The so called "legendary" Alan Cross is dividing the interview because he's obviously trying to drive hits to his blog.

Its annoying and unnecessary.....but that's just me. Maybe I don't see the "genius" in the man like everyone else does. I just see the ploy.

Back
Top Bottom