Alan Cross interview with Daniel Lanois / 360 Degree Stage Set-Up / Updated 01-22-09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nothing yet folks I know a lot of you are holding out for what Danny has to say about the album and the tour

Alan mentioned lots is going to be posted in the next 24 hours. A 4 part piece is also mentioned, so he might be divying up some work with his colleagues at his radio show.

AAH. Sorry. Interference changes the links. You need to insert y ou send it between the "download." and the .com". Get it?

Alan gave me free rein to post these or do whatever, so nobody needs to freak out.

360 view for the tour though the stage is closer to one side. No pillars in the way. Lanois would like to sit behind Larry.

Album is closer to Achtung in innovation.

No line on the horizon.

What happens on the first five songs on the CD.

"LOL. The first few songs on the CD are pretty magical. There's NLOTH the title song is a fantastic mixture of handplayed instruments, but everybody really going for it. It's kind of like science fiction rock 'n roll."

"There's another one called Being Born which again has that kind of band vitality and it's one of my favorite new pieces on the record for sure."

Is it more Achtung Baby than Atomic bomb.....is it more POP than Atomic bomb?

"I believe this new record scores very high with it's innovation. I suppose we can draw some comparison to Achtung Baby that way. Also that was an innovative time when we were determined to break some ground sonically. I think the same thing has happened here. I wouldn't make a direct comparison. All the ideas and sounds are brand new, but I suppose simliar in the sense that the band had the appetite to do something wild and new and interesting. It's less of a band huddle and it's more of an exotic innovative huddle."

Lanois: Tour Setup = "in the round"

In the Alan Cross interview Lanois claims that the stage setup for the new tour will be 360degree and "without pillars". He's obviously referring to the stadium shows with this and it fits with the rumours that U2 are being very particular with the type of venue that they play on this tour - ie all stadia, no "big field" venues.

Lanois: "What's great about the show is I saw the preliminary drawings of their set I think they are going 360 this time. They're going to be making the back seats available. Which does often not happen. They're still setup favoring one end, but their will be no pillars in the way. They've designed it in such a way that all the artillery will be out of the sight line. For my own personal taste I want to be sitting behind Larry Mullen. That's what I want to see definately. I'll be the first one in the back seat."

Any thoughts?

I'm just intrigued as to how they will manage the sound-system, screens etc. "without pillars". Bono has mentioned that it's "...an engineering marvel."!

Skyhooks?! :wink:

When a single comes out like it did today this is the beginning of a 2 year relationship that U2 has with their fans and the world with the single the album and the tours that come. So it's going to be a long ride going into 2011.

"Yes, you know they've got to be some of the hardest working people in music. Just to take that city on the road with them is amazing and I can't wait to see the new live show."

Technologically mind boggling is is one description?

"What's great about the show is I saw the preliminary drawings of their set I think they are going 360 this time. They're going to be making the back seats available. Which does often not happen. They're still setup favoring one end, but their will be no pillars in the way. They've designed it in such a way that all the artillery will be out of the sight line. For my own personal taste I want to be sitting behind Larry Mullen. That's what I want to see definately. I'll be the first one in the back seat."

Y'know maybe there will be nothing on the stage other than the instruments.... :hmm:
and U2, of course. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom