After WITS I doubt we'll ever see Mercy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I don't know if we even should. The themes of these two songs are soooo similar. They're both about being in love/the power of love. The lyrics are so much alike that hearing Mercy in the future as anything besides a b-side would almost be wrong IMO. If the band released Mercy in its current form that whole "power of love" theme (which is already becoming redundant in my eyes) would be wayyy overplayed.

Last edited:
"The lyrics are so much alike that hearing Mercy in the future as anything besides a b-side would almost be wrong IMO."

Yeah, after "Elevation" they never recorded a silly meaningless rock song that they named a tour after...

U2 never makes the same song twice.

;)

because U2 has totally never written about the power of love before... :wink:

that said, I could see Mercy getting a different chorus. one that's not "love this, love that."

perhaps it will be the bside to WITS

doubtful but you never know

Murray said:
"The lyrics are so much alike that hearing Mercy in the future as anything besides a b-side would almost be wrong IMO."

Yeah, after "Elevation" they never recorded a silly meaningless rock song that they named a tour after...

U2 never makes the same song twice.

;)

I wouldn't call "Elevation" or "Vertigo" silly or meaningless. "Elevation" is about finding God. "Vertigo" can be about many things, ranging from confusion of life, to confusion of a relationship. I'd rather call them fun rock songs, but not silly or meaningless. The closest thing to silly and meaningless U2 ever wrote was "Discotheque" - a song about nightlife.

But yeah, U2 do revisit themes. Just like The Beatles had a 1000 love songs and just like the Stones had overly sexual song after song and just like heavy metal bands sing about drugs and sex and just like rappers sing about ho's and violence and just like...

After this thread, I doubt we'll ever see another about Mercy.

Oh wait. :|

Blatently similar? They may both feature a similar theme and say the word love a lot, but they don't sound very much alike. WITS is a fun pop song... Mercy is a classic in the making...if only they'd make it official.

Mercy will most likely appear on the next album- it has too!!!

I am sure they are aware of the "cult" following for this song already.

doctorwho said:
I wouldn't call "Elevation" or "Vertigo" silly or meaningless. "Elevation" is about finding God. "Vertigo" can be about many things, ranging from confusion of life, to confusion of a relationship. I'd rather call them fun rock songs, but not silly or meaningless. The closest thing to silly and meaningless U2 ever wrote was "Discotheque" - a song about nightlife.

Discotheque >>>>>>>>>>> Elevation & Vertigo put together.

Finally! A thread about Mercy!

I thought I was the only one who knew about this totally secret rare recording phenomenon that was left off the album because it was way too good for it and would've crushed it and the album would've collapsed under its supreme power.

Actually, no.

FUCK MERCY!

Yea, you heard me. What are you gonna do about it?

Granted people talk about it a lot around here, and you're entitled not to like it, but you don't have to act like that just because people love it.

To that I say... Mercy: :drool:

Mercy's not a terrible song. Decent. I just find it funny and astounding that to this day it is still being worshipped like the 2nd coming of Christ.

shart1780 said:
I don't know if we even should. The themes of these two songs are soooo similar. They're both about being in love/the power of love. The lyrics are so much alike that hearing Mercy in the future as anything besides a b-side would almost be wrong IMO. If the band released Mercy in its current form that whole "power of love" theme (which is already becoming redundant in my eyes) would be wayyy overplayed.

Don't compare WITS with Mercy, Mercy is much better then Beatles song WITS... oops wrong, U2's song, sorry. :)

Mercy is one of their best songs in company with:

Bad
Pride
WOWY
Uf
One
LIB
Acrobat
Lemon
TTTYAATW
Wild Irish Rose
Vertigo
Discotheque(Chicago 2005)
WTSHNN

Mercy is the type of song I wanted to hear on HTDAAB or any U2 album for that fact before I pop it in and give it a first listen.

It's the U2 sound that I love more than any other- It is very close to the "BAD" category.

Many have comented on the length- I miss the lengthy-over 5 minute-U2 songs! I hope one day they release it and play it live for 10 minutes just like they do with "Bad" occasionally.

Zootlesque said:

Discotheque >>>>>>>>>>> Elevation & Vertigo put together.

If you put Elevation & Vertigo into a blender and then fed the mixed up combo to Discotheque as a fuel, it would only run Discotheque till halfway through the first verse, then lyrically, musically, in every way, it would just run out of puff.

ozeeko said:
Mercy's not a terrible song. Decent. I just find it funny and astounding that to this day it is still being worshipped like the 2nd coming of Christ.

Didn't you know Bono and J.C. were sharing some wine and oh, never mind:wink:

doctorwho said:

"Elevation" is about finding God.
"Discotheque" - a song about nightlife.

I hate to burst your bubble, but Bono says in U2 by U2 that "Elevation" is about sex (I knew it!) and that "Discotheque" is, in fact, about love.

Another observation: Bono also says that he believes that God is love, so if you replace the word "love" with "God" in songs like "Mercy" and WITS then, my friends, you have yourself a couple of cleverly-disguised (what could be called) Christian rock songs. Sneaky Bono.

The lyrics in "Mercy" fascinate me in this respect because the possibilities for interpretaition are so vast. I want to analyze it sometime. But I digress.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom