Adam Clayton: Album in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I chuckled to myself today in HMV when there was a place-holder jewel case in the U2 section that said, U2: TBA -- Fall 2007. Jumping the gun abit, i'd say...

Zoo_Fly said:
I chuckled to myself today in HMV when there was a place-holder jewel case in the U2 section that said, U2: TBA -- Fall 2007. Jumping the gun abit, i'd say...

I took one of them cuz they don't have security tags

Personally, if U2 become much more darker with their music, they would have to use Flood, and Flood produces ALOT with Depeche Mode, do U2 really need to be like Depeche Mode at the moment (I'm not slating Depeche Mode as I love their music too) but what they really need now is either a stripped down acoustic song that is the opposite of love (Example: The Smiths Lyrical sence) or a hard rocking beat to the songs (Example: The 80's Bon Jovi). As for Mercy, I haven't heard it but hope it becomes a good Rock Ballad.

The production on Depeche Mode's last album was terrible. I was talking to my guitar teacher about it the other day.

U2girl said:

As was the case in 2000 when two rap/hip hop acts got in front of ATYCLB on the album chart.

While true, to me, having a #1 album is not as important as final sales figures.

For example, U2 can brag about "Pop" being #1, but it only sold 1.5M copies in the U.S. As a result, the album is often ridiculed for its "poor" sales. In contrast, while ATYCLB peaked at #3, it has sold 4.2M copies in the U.S., which makes it one of the better selling albums this decade! In fact, for U2 to have over 7.3M copies of their last two full studio albums (i.e., not counting any "Best Of" releases), in an era with rampant downloading, is wildly impressive.

Bottom line - if U2 want #1, they may not get it in the 4th quarter. However, if they have a big hit first single (ala "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo"), they can sell millions of copies from Oct. through early January. And, from Paul McGuinness' view, that should be more important than a #1. The #1 is the "cherry on top", but hit songs, overall big album sales and a sold-out tour are far more important.

Earnie Shavers said:

They danced around the line. They did stuff like lampoon Bush on ZooTV, and hang with Clinton, but were very aware and very wary of getting too close, being used, or being percieved to be in one corner or the other. They didn't want to cop the criticism of being a non-US citizen 'telling' US citizens how to vote.

I agree, I can't imagine them actually straight out backing someone, but I can imagine them pushing the issues they want people to think about as they head in to vote.

I think they'll be more careful now too. In 1992 they would have just been critised. In 2008, if Bono declares his love of a Democrat, he's going to have problems if he has to then go knock on a Republican Presidents door.
Exactly.
You can be sure that U2 won't be going around like Bruce Springstein or Toby Keith openly supporting a candidate, and they won't be like Green Day going around screaming obscenities at candidates with whom they disagree.
It would be a subtle approach with an emphasis on issues rather than parties or candidates.

You guys act like everybody on Earth has actually heard Mercy....the people that have actually heard the track are probably limited to less then 10 thousand...which is nothing.

Will that even be the final mix of the track probably not. If they feel like releasing it they should. They should put the album out when its finished not when their overweight manager says to put it out. Hes been both good and bad for U2, and I would say mostly bad in recent years.

Yahweh said:
You guys act like everybody on Earth has actually heard Mercy....the people that have actually heard the track are probably limited to less then 10 thousand...which is nothing.

Will that even be the final mix of the track probably not. If they feel like releasing it they should. They should put the album out when its finished not when their overweight manager says to put it out. Hes been both good and bad for U2, and I would say mostly bad in recent years.

you're right.. if only paul would lose a few pounds. THEN we'd get a decent release date

FitzChivalry said:

Really? "Playing The Angel"? What was so bad about it.

I liked the songs, but the production value was just bad.

Loud doesn't = better.

It was similar to the Atomic Bomb approach to producing/mixing.

The_acrobat said:
I know U2 and McGuinness want to be at #1. Just having the #1 album makes some people think they have to have the album. It's as good of a promotion as going on TV. It depends on how they market the album prior to release, as well as who else has a record out that week, that determines their #1 status. They'll need a radio friendly 1st single, and find a new way to promote it. It's not enough to just put out a video on MTV and a radio single. The iPod commercial was a GENIUS marketing campaign, and they'll need THAT kind of exposure again if they want to compete in the 4th quarter record sales for #1.

Oh, how I wish U2 would never even consider these things.

Seriously, U2 albums will always sell. U2 will be able to release albums all their lives if they want to. They've got the popularity. I wish they'd stop caring about sales and awards altogether.

And Brian Eno is my superhero. Well, except for HTDAAB.

shart1780 said:
U2 should release an album about why Hillary Clinton would be the best president in 2008.
It could be a sequel to their last album, and they could call it: "How to Dismantle America". :wink:

(just a joke...no offense intended...)

shart1780 said:
And Brian Eno is my superhero. Well, except for HTDAAB.

Uh ... Eno didn't produce HTDAAB. He worked on the intro to LAPOE which came from a previous studio session. That's it.

I thought both Eno and Lanois worked on LAPOE ? The keyboards are credited to Eno.

U2girl said:
I thought both Eno and Lanois worked on LAPOE ? The keyboards are credited to Eno.

They may have but that work took place during the ATYCLB sessions. They did not work on the songs again during the HTDAAB sessions. That was the point being made.

Dana

Eno and Lanois had limited to no involvement with HTDAAB other than what was worked on and used in previous sessions as others have pointed out. I wish they had though, I think it could have been a great U2 album if they had. Its still a good U2 album, just nowhere near their best to me.

Blue Room said:
Eno and Lanois had limited to no involvement with HTDAAB other than what was worked on and used in previous sessions as others have pointed out. I wish they had though, I think it could have been a great U2 album if they had. Its still a good U2 album, just nowhere near their best to me.

I thought Lanois was brought in at the 11th hour for the final session and mixing.

Lanois was onstage at the Grammy's when the group picked up the Album award

U2FanPeter said:

I thought Lanois was brought in at the 11th hour for the final session and mixing.

Lanois was onstage at the Grammy's when the group picked up the Album award

Mixing isnt the same as producing?? The songs are in the can at that point. I also said Eno AND Lanois. They still had limited involvement IMO. :shrug: If coming in and mixing at the last minute counts as major involvement I guess Lanois was heavily involved. Each their own.

Lanois did spend a week in the fall of 2003 in the studio and he heard the album. For all we know it was his opinion on the record that made U2 switch from Thomas and go to Lillywhite.

Officially, this is his credit on Bomb :

One Step Closer: Music by U2. Lyrics by Bono. Original production by Chris Thomas and Daniel Lanois. Additional production by Jacknife Lee. Recorded by Carl Glanville. Mixed by Jacknife Lee. Additional guitar by Bono. Backing vocals by The Edge. Additional guitar and pedal steel by Daniel Lanois. Synthesizers by Jacknife Lee.

Yahweh: Music by U2. Lyrics by Bono with the Edge. Produced by Chris Thomas. Recorded by Carl Glanville. Assisted by Chris Heaney. Mixed by Carl Glanville. Piano, synthesizers, and backing vocals by The Edge. Mandolin by Daniel Lanois. Additional guitar by Bono.

Last edited:
rihannsu said:

They may have but that work took place during the ATYCLB sessions. They did not work on the songs again during the HTDAAB sessions. That was the point being made.

Dana

I was referring to the post above mine, specifically this part:

"He worked on the intro to LAPOE which came from a previous studio session."

I'm saying both of them were involved on the song, I didn't say they were involved on Bomb. We all know they weren't.

shart1780 said:

Seriously, U2 albums will always sell. U2 will be able to release albums all their lives if they want to. They've got the popularity. I wish they'd stop caring about sales and awards altogether.

U218Singles was not a huge commercial success... It has been proved that U2 are not imune, and that their safer sound and their proximity to the 50's age is a con.

U218 shouldn't have sold well. It was a crock. They already have two best of albums.

My point is that unless U2 makes albums of complete and utter crap they will be able to release stuff for a long, long time. Maybe not under their current label, and they might not have a bunch of top 40s, but someone will release their stuff. They're one of the biggest bands in the world. If they stopped caring so much about what the mainstream thought they could release some pretty darn cool stuff.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Lanois did spend a week in the fall of 2003 in the studio and he heard the album. For all we know it was his opinion on the record that made U2 switch from Thomas and go to Lillywhite.

Officially, this is his credit on Bomb :

One Step Closer: Music by U2. Lyrics by Bono. Original production by Chris Thomas and Daniel Lanois. Additional production by Jacknife Lee. Recorded by Carl Glanville. Mixed by Jacknife Lee. Additional guitar by Bono. Backing vocals by The Edge. Additional guitar and pedal steel by Daniel Lanois. Synthesizers by Jacknife Lee.

Yahweh: Music by U2. Lyrics by Bono with the Edge. Produced by Chris Thomas. Recorded by Carl Glanville. Assisted by Chris Heaney. Mixed by Carl Glanville. Piano, synthesizers, and backing vocals by The Edge. Mandolin by Daniel Lanois. Additional guitar by Bono.

Who was onstage at the 2005(or was it 2006?) for the Bomb Album Grammy?

U2FanPeter said:

Who was onstage at the 2005(or was it 2006?) for the Bomb Album Grammy?

Steve Lillywhite and Danny Lanois were the only ones there on stage with them. You know I've never seen any comment from Chris Thomas anywhere about the whole situation. Has anyone come across anything about what he thought of the whole deal?

Dana

i love mercy. like LOVE it, but it sounds too much like the past two albums for them to put it on the new one. they said they were going to go in a different dirrection, and hopefully that means something actually differert that we've never heard from u2. i love mercy though and think that its a good transition piece. whether or not it makesit onto the new album depends soley on the new concept. and i'm hoping for a suprise spring 2008 release! my birthday maybe? he he he:heart:

At the recent Edun One-tshirt Event some members got the chance to meet with Ali and apparently she said the album should be out next year.

Lila64 said:

Ali couldn't have been any kinder - very sweet. We did proceed to ask her how the band's next recording was coming along, and she said very well, and that there would be an album in 2008 and tour in 2009 :) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom