Adam Clayton: Album in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So U2 should not sound "like U2"?

Lazarus
My original point was to show that Lanois was certainly not the originator (or collaborator, for that matter), and that if any credit for the sound is given
to a producer here it should be Eno.

Listen to the Night and Day cover they did with producer Paul Barrett. That is a prelude to the AB sound and Eno had nothing to do with it.

OMG, U2 had something to do with the AB sound! Madness!

:wink:

Last edited:
man if u2 somehow finds a way to surprise the world again theyd be unstoppable. when they did it the first time with achtung, they didnt have nearly the same exposure they do now. EVERYONE knows who they are these days. it would be such a bigger impact. i really hope they have it in them to top the achtung sound.

t8thgr8 said:
man if u2 somehow finds a way to surprise the world again theyd be unstoppable. when they did it the first time with achtung, they didnt have nearly the same exposure they do now. EVERYONE knows who they are these days. it would be such a bigger impact. i really hope they have it in them to top the achtung sound.

"Achtung Baby" wasn't the first time at all – you might count "The Unforgettable Fire" and for sure the then (and still) revolutionary sounds of The Joshua Tree in it.
By the way, on both albums Danny Lanois gave a big impact, too (together with Eno). His guitar is the slide in "Running To Stand Still", he was the one suggeting the jam for "Exit", the album's dark gem, etc. Just take a look at the "The Joshua Tree" documentary and you'll see what kind of fine producer he has been, remembering all the technical details for recording and creating sounds - while Bono tries hard to remember, he even recorded/wrote these tunes (*smile*).
And regarding Eno, you should remember the scenes in Slane Castle in sugesting to be spontaneous, with Bono doing so the "Elvis Presley & America" improvisation. Or being the guy in creating the magic sounds of "The First Time".

This said, I can't explain, why their latest big collaboration – "All That You Can't Leave Behind" – sounded so disappointingly flat, way too radio friendly (with tunes, sounding live so much more interesting).
"How To Dimsantle..." does a better job in my ears, but we all don't know, how much impact everybody had on the latter album(s) – including the band, who might have voted for the mass/radio-friendly sound after the problems they still do connect with the "experimental" 1997 album "Pop". By the way, a judgement, I don't share at all.

So why not just go in the studio, play round, fix the tunes lyrically and musically, record it and bring it out? U2 should be more self-conscious with their creativity and not continue to look so much at mass media or radio friendly sounds – because in the end, it's the songs, their lyrics' and music's quality and their live re-invention that count. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no need to top anything - there's just the artist's need to let it out: But – it's the content, not the package!

jedi Larry said:
So U2 should not sound "like U2"?

Lazarus
My original point was to show that Lanois was certainly not the originator (or collaborator, for that matter), and that if any credit for the sound is given
to a producer here it should be Eno.

Listen to the Night and Day cover they did with producer Paul Barrett. That is a prelude to the AB sound and Eno had nothing to do with it.

OMG, U2 had something to do with the AB sound! Madness!

:wink:

the axtung bebi sessions clearly showed u2 themselves were heading in a different direction with their sound... they just needed eno and lanois to reign them in.

Could we please not have this thread turn into a "Mercy" debate? Or if you guys want to keep talking about it, have a little respect for the opinions of others.

Autumn/Fall '08 was always my favoured bet.

For Mercy...if it wasn't good enough for Bomb then it won't go on the new album without a significant amount of rework.

adrball said:
Autumn/Fall '08 was always my favoured bet.

For Mercy...if it wasn't good enough for Bomb then it won't go on the new album without a significant amount of rework.

Im note sure about that, more that the song would have make the album to long and that the sound on the song didnt fit the album.

I'm quite sure that Mercy will be significantly re-worked from the version we've heard, if it hasn't been already. To me, the weakest part of the song is the second verse. But with that said, I love this song! And, I'm very excited to hear it will be on the next album, if we can trust Bono.

Well, wasn't there someone at the WITS video shoot who spoke briefly with the Edge, who told them that Mercy was still being worked on? I know Bono and the Edge sometimes talk out of their asses, but it's interesting to hear both of them backing up the claim that Mercy is still in progress.

Irvine511 said:

i know McGuinness is on record as saying that it should always be a 4th quarter release, but didn't someone else of importance say that the 4th quarter is so stacked with heavyweights, that if you want a #1 album and lots of attention, you might want to consider releasing in another quarter?

As was the case in 2000 when two rap/hip hop acts got in front of ATYCLB on the album chart.

Zoo_Fly said:
Well, wasn't there someone at the WITS video shoot who spoke briefly with the Edge, who told them that Mercy was still being worked on? I know Bono and the Edge sometimes talk out of their asses, but it's interesting to hear both of them backing up the claim that Mercy is still in progress.

That's correct:

Fan: Edge whats the story with Mercy?
Edge: Mercy?!
Fan: Yes, Mercy.
Edge: It's not finished yet.
Fan: Not finished?? Its 6:15 min long and that good but not finished?
Edge: Yes, not finished there are still some parts of it we are working on.
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=170434&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Last edited:
U2girl said:

As was the case in 2000 when two rap/hip hop acts got in front of ATYCLB on the album chart.

Yep, but at the same time, an album sitting at #3-5 on the charts in the run up to Christmas might still be selling more than an album at #1 in, say, September.

I know U2 and McGuinness want to be at #1. Just having the #1 album makes some people think they have to have the album. It's as good of a promotion as going on TV. It depends on how they market the album prior to release, as well as who else has a record out that week, that determines their #1 status. They'll need a radio friendly 1st single, and find a new way to promote it. It's not enough to just put out a video on MTV and a radio single. The iPod commercial was a GENIUS marketing campaign, and they'll need THAT kind of exposure again if they want to compete in the 4th quarter record sales for #1.

why do we even care in what quarter of the year the band releases an album?
it's not like if they release it earlier work on the next album will also start earlier
and I also reckon that unless they get it out in the first quarter of the year it won't get them to tour anywhere near you anywhere sooner as the tour seems to be mostly season based as well

so it's a marketing decision
big deal

I hope for 2008, but knowing U2 we better hear something a bit more definite within the next 4 months for even that to be a possibility

What about that Bono comment about how the secret to their huge album sales is riding each album-tour cycle(ATYCLB, BOMB, AB, UF, maybe R&H) through 2 xmasses?

The_acrobat said:
I know U2 and McGuinness want to be at #1. Just having the #1 album makes some people think they have to have the album. It's as good of a promotion as going on TV. It depends on how they market the album prior to release, as well as who else has a record out that week, that determines their #1 status. They'll need a radio friendly 1st single, and find a new way to promote it. It's not enough to just put out a video on MTV and a radio single. The iPod commercial was a GENIUS marketing campaign, and they'll need THAT kind of exposure again if they want to compete in the 4th quarter record sales for #1.

Originally posted by Irvine511 said:
i know McGuinness is on record as saying that it should always be a 4th quarter release, but didn't someone else of importance say that the 4th quarter is so stacked with heavyweights, that if you want a #1 album and lots of attention, you might want to consider releasing in another quarter?.
There is not only the 1st spot

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59505&perpage=15&pagenumber=15
1. Beatles: 1 (November)
2. Norah Jones : Come Away With Me (February)
3. Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP (May)
4. Eminem : The Eminem Show (May)
5. Britney Spears: Oops!....I Did It Again (May)
6. Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory (October)
7. Usher : Confessions (March)
8. Dido: No Angel (June)
9. Avril Lavigne: Let Go (June)
10. Evanescence: Fallen (March)

11. N'Sync: No Strings Attached (March)
12. Green Day : American Idiot (September)
13. Madonna : Music (September)
14. Enya: A Day Without Rain (November)
15. U2 : ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND
16. Backstreet Boys : Black And Blue (November)
17. Dido : Life For Rent (September)
18. Alicia Keys : Songs In A Minor (June)
19. Shakira: Laundry Service (November)
20. Limp Bizkit: Chocolate Starfish (October)

21. Pink: M!SSUNDAZTOOD (November)
22. Shaggy: Hotshot (August)
23. Norah Jones : Feels Like Home (February)
24. Moby : Play (June)
25. Coldplay : A Rush Of Blood To The Head (August)
26. Nickelback : Silver Side Up (September)
27. Christina Aguilera : Stripped (October)
etc

12 in the first semester, 15 in the second
13 albums in September/October.November
6 in the spring season March/May
6 in summer June/august
Only Norah Jones released albums at a different month (february)

The pre-chrismas market theory seems to be true (9 albums in October/November, 1/3 of the total) even if the top 10 (Beatles 1 being a Best Of, i exclude it) has a huge majority of albums released in the first semester (9). :eyebrow:
A release in March/May wouldn't be as dangerous as Bono and Von Heineken love to claim and wouldn't need a monstruous advertising campain.
But if the first single is not strong, the album can sink very quickly during the summer and be forgotten, there is not the Chrismas second opportunity.

Well, they are going to play it safe. November 2008 for sure. :|

Last edited:
I don't understand how the second Christmas opportunity links in. So, if a potential spring/summer record fails to stretch to Christmas #1, would that mess with a Christmas #2 concert DVD release? Or are they hoping to stretch a single product over two consecutive Christmases? How did Bomb do on its second Christmas? Wasn't the Chicago DVD the prime product by then?

By releasing the first single in October it makes the Grammy cutoff. Then if its a hit they usually have a nomination which pushes sales whether you win or lose. The album is released in November which is after the Grammy cutoff and gets Christmas sales. Then the next year if the album has done well they will have more Grammy nominations which brings it back to the public attention which gets the second Christmas season sales leading up to the Grammy's and if they perform at the Grammies again get a sales boost whether they win or loose. It is a very savy strategy taking advantage of the Grammy timing and buzz to push album sales. Of course you still have to have a great record for this to work but it's worked great on the last two albums. I myself bought Bomb and really got into the band because of the attention brought by the five Grammy nominations that it got.

Dana

seriously is it going to be out in 2008? idk.
first paul m. says late 2007 for sure
and ive been hearing theyve set no date AT ALL.

Back
Top Bottom