Adam Clayton: Album in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they are going to have the album finished in November/December and release it in January. The Tour will then start around March in Lakeland Florida.

I dont see how we can predict when the album will be finished when it barely just started. I consider myself an artist and pretty creative and i dont see how anyone can calculate someone elses productivity. Its not like they are song machines. It could be out next month or in 3 years for all we know. Ideas and concepts take time to accumulate.

Irvine511 said:
seems about right.

here's hoping its a spring release, not a fall release, with a US tour in the summer during election season. :drool:

I am with you. This is what I think the plan is. Spring 2008 release, tour starts late summer. This way the band can be on the road during election season so that Bono can continue to build the base for the One campaign. He wants to reach 5 million members before the next election. U2 needs to be on the road in the U.S. for that to happen.

That means about a year from now we will have new music from the boys. Something to live for.

Blue Room said:

When was Original leaked prior to Bomb?

It was definitely played to a Journalist. It was on a show called 60 minutes II. This was filmed, I believe, before ATYCLB was released. The journalist was allowed into the studio to observe them recording and then she and bono went for a drive in his car. She asked him what he was listening to. He turned on the car radio and out came Original of the Species (of course, not in its finish form yet). They only played maybe a minute of the song, probably much less than that. He said it was a Beautiful song written for his children. I will never forget the scene, it was fascinating. So that song was at least 4 years old before it got released officially on HTDAAB.

Well, while we're playing the prediction game ...

November 2007: Album finished! Just a bit too late to send it to be pressed and released. So U2 sit on it. After all, you're only allowed to release albums in Oct/Nov, remember? *sound of Paul McGuinness cracking whip in background*
March 2008: Bono goes to Africa for a couple of months.
April 2008: Adam goes to the World Spoon Convention and enjoys the after-parties a bit too much.
May 2008: Edge is nowhere to be found; presumably he's gone to Malibu. Bono's telling kids in Ghana that the goal is soul. Adam's still hung over from the Spoon Convention trip. Thus ...

ENTERRRR LAAAAAARRRRYYYY!!!!

Larry gets out the tapes of the complete album, plays them back, and OH NOES!

rerecordlarrykm6.jpg

August 2008: Larry finally gets all of U2 back to Dublin and forces them to start recording again.

November 2008: With no U2 album forthcoming, twenty U2 fans die of sorrow. Interference implodes.

April 2009: Album finally finished.

May-September 2009: Fifty different producers are called in to tinker with the songs and add their own special touches of magic. The album - now literally shimmering from all the production - is sent to be pressed. Two copies are reportedly stolen. World news follows the controversy closely. After all the fuss dies down, Bono reveals that he simply misplaced them and Ali found them under the microwave.

September 2009: Lead single released just before Grammy's cut-off.

November 2009: New album released after Grammy's cut-off.

You heard it here first.

hughfan_1 said:

It was definitely played to a Journalist. It was on a show called 60 minutes II. This was filmed, I believe, before ATYCLB was released. The journalist was allowed into the studio to observe them recording and then she and bono went for a drive in his car. She asked him what he was listening to. He turned on the car radio and out came Original of the Species (of course, not in its finish form yet). They only played maybe a minute of the song, probably much less than that. He said it was a Beautiful song written for his children. I will never forget the scene, it was fascinating. So that song was at least 4 years old before it got released officially on HTDAAB.

This is true :up: I had it on video at one time, but can't find it for the life of me.
He spoke/sang the part "Everywhere you go you shout it.. You don't have to be shy about it.
He was excited about it, for sure..:heart:
it was a good video.:yes:

Axver said:
Well, while we're playing the prediction game ...

November 2007: Album finished! Just a bit too late to send it to be pressed and released. So U2 sit on it. After all, you're only allowed to release albums in Oct/Nov, remember? *sound of Paul McGuinness cracking whip in background*
March 2008: Bono goes to Africa for a couple of months.
April 2008: Adam goes to the World Spoon Convention and enjoys the after-parties a bit too much.
May 2008: Edge is nowhere to be found; presumably he's gone to Malibu. Bono's telling kids in Ghana that the goal is soul. Adam's still hung over from the Spoon Convention trip. Thus ...

ENTERRRR LAAAAAARRRRYYYY!!!!

Larry gets out the tapes of the complete album, plays them back, and OH NOES!

rerecordlarrykm6.jpg

August 2008: Larry finally gets all of U2 back to Dublin and forces them to start recording again.

November 2008: With no U2 album forthcoming, twenty U2 fans die of sorrow. Interference implodes.

April 2009: Album finally finished.

May-September 2009: Fifty different producers are called in to tinker with the songs and add their own special touches of magic. The album - now literally shimmering from all the production - is sent to be pressed. Two copies are reportedly stolen. World news follows the controversy closely. After all the fuss dies down, Bono reveals that he simply misplaced them and Ali found them under the microwave.

September 2009: Lead single released just before Grammy's cut-off.

November 2009: New album released after Grammy's cut-off.

You heard it here first.

brilliant :up:

:lmao:

We forgot something: Eno is producing the next Coldplay right?

So it looks like it it's either Rubin/Lanois or :hmm: Lanois going solo on this one.

hughfan_1 said:

There are 2 edits of the 2000 60M video. The intitial North American showing cut out the scenes in the BENZ and Bono showing off the "U2" graffiti on the wall outside.

The full length version was shown internationally and in the US rerun.

Bono also used the phrase "Original of the Species" in the liner notes of a Roy Orbison DVD in the late 90's.
u2fp

U2girl said:
Lanois has produced almost half of AB on his own.

Well it's technically 7 years, but Lanois did produce some of Bomb too. And LAPOE credits Eno and Lanois. I say a break from those two because after ATYCLB I'm not sure Eno and Lanois can still get the magic with the band. Plus it would seem like U2 is too depending on them if they keep using these producers.

Lanois did some dark stuff for Bob Dylan on 1989's Oh Mercy and 1997 Time Out Of Mind albums.

I know Lanois was called in at the tail end of HTDAAB recording, but weren't some of the production credits from album tracks(and one B-side) from work done in 2000??

u2fp

The B-side Are you gonna wait forever is from ATYCLB, its credited to Eno/Lanois. LAPOE started out during ATYCLB and Lanois coproduced One step closer and is credited for mandolin on Yahweh. (and it seems OOTS started out during ATYCLB too)

Oh No, Eno producing Coldplay? As much as I can enjoy them at times, now they're taking even more cues from U2, and the stupid people who bash U2 and praise CP have no idea, argh.

U2girl said:
Lanois going solo on this one.

Please, God...don't let this happen. :huh: Lanois almost sunk the band back in 1990 by "going solo" with them, but Eno had to pull his ass out of the fire. I'm tired of Enolanwah anyway. :madspit:

It's true they were arguing a lot due to different views, but hey, he is still credited for 5 AB songs. We also know he is in the trenches with the band, and Eno just comes by once in a while and gives his opinion.

This could be an interesting precedens: Lanois working with U2, alone. I always felt since Eno got on board with Zooropa and he had Passengers (does anyone know where Lanois was during that time and why he wasn't involved with them?) that Lanois should get a try with solo producing U2.

His journal at daniellanois.com, dated May 10, says this

"It has been a very busy time since my last post. I have 3 of my own projects on the go that are nearly complete, and a few with some friends. Stay tuned, i'll be doing the official announcment in the next couple of weeks, I'm very, very excited!"

:hmm: I wonder if "some friends" means U2.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
We forgot something: Eno is producing the next Coldplay right?

So it looks like it it's either Rubin/Lanois or :hmm: Lanois going solo on this one.

Heres to hoping its just Lanois. I'm not sure why some are so distraught over this. When U2 took one of their most radical departures from their sound Lanois was a major factor in the production. Most seem to want a departure, this should be good news for you. Now if Eno was onboard also (which personally I wouldnt have a problem with) then I could see the collective groan by some because it might be more of the same.

Maybe they are going to have Lanois be the producer/5th member of the band for the next year while they get the songs together. Then have Rubin come in and listen next year to see if he has any suggestions. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Back
Top Bottom