Adam Clayton: Album in 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thinik if Mercy makes the next album it will be different from what was leaked. I also think its typical Bono talk. At this stage they most likely have no idea what will make the album. Most of the time it doesnt get weeded down until the final months of recording and it appears they have just started. Grain of salt as others have said.

I'm indifferent on Mercy. I like it, but I already have it. I would prefer something else new I have not heard before over it. What I would like to see with it though if they did release it is put it as a B side or bonus track as someone else suggested. Then it wouldnt take the place of a brand new song we havent heard.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Album in 2008 I mostly believe :up:

Releasing Mercy on the album...unlikely...:sad:

I mean why would they release a song that has already leaked like 4 years earlier? :scratch:

Thats what they did with Original Of The Species

So why not

Blue Room said:
I thinik if Mercy makes the next album it will be different from what was leaked. I also think its typical Bono talk. At this stage they most likely have no idea what will make the album. Most of the time it doesnt get weeded down until the final months of recording and it appears they have just started. Grain of salt as others have said.

I'm indifferent on Mercy. I like it, but I already have it. I would prefer something else new I have not heard before over it. What I would like to see with it though if they did release it is put it as a B side or bonus track as someone else suggested. Then it wouldnt take the place of a brand new song we havent heard.

The thing about Mercy is that only the close nit U2 fans have heard it. Most people don't know it exists. They should get it out there on CD for everyone to enjoy. I love the song and I would love to hear it live. I think it would be great performed live.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'm going to take all of this as concrete news because as we know, when bono says something about the new album, it always comes true.

And every time it doesn't, an angel loses its wings :sad:

2008 seems plausible to me, especially since they're back in the studio, but I'd definitely guess a fall release. I'd rather wait awhile than have something rushed and lousy. Besides, I need more time to start saving for the next tour.

gherman said:

The thing about Mercy is that only the close nit U2 fans have heard it. Most people don't know it exists. They should get it out there on CD for everyone to enjoy. I love the song and I would love to hear it live. I think it would be great performed live.

I'm not saying its not possible. I'm saying I have heard it and for me personally I would rather have a new song I havent heard over it.

It may make the album, it may not. Despite what Bono says I dont think they know at this point. Like I said before though I dont think it will be the exact same version that was leaked if it does get released in some form. I think a bonus track like they did with Fast Cars would be perfect. Then its not taking the place of a new song we havent heard and there is still a chance it could be played live.

t8thgr8 said:

i sincerely hope something happens that severely pisses one of them off. not like a death or anything or divorce again.

One of the band members's daughter being diagnosed with a potentially lethal medical condition wasn't enough for a while? And another member's father dying?

I think Original of the species was played to a jounalist on 60 minutes in 2001 or 2002.

Most of U2's albums were released in the fall. :shrug: I think they're too used to the fall album/spring tour routine to change it. Unless they want to tour during the US election next year...

Aygo: Lanois is credited for co-producing One step closer and playing mandolin on Yahweh. Plus there's LAPOE which started as a Eno/Lanois co-production.

An Cat Gav: Flood mixed LAPOE, OOTS, ABOY and helped mix Crumbs. He produced COBL and co-produced Crumbs and LAPOE.
I hope he's history, along with J. Lee.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I think Original of the species was played to a jounalist on 60 minutes in 2001 or 2002.

Really? I dont remember that at all. So there was a full version of Original from the ATYCLB sessions out there? Does anyone have a link to that version?

gherman said:

Only a snippet was leaked. I thought it sounded great when I heard it and was wondering why it wasn't on ATYCLB.

So its not quite the same as what happened with Mercy as we got the entire song with Mercy.

Still, does anyone have the snippet that was aired? I have never heard it. At least I dont recall hearing it anyway.

U2girl said:

One of the band members's daughter being diagnosed with a potentially lethal medical condition wasn't enough for a while? And another member's father dying?

Somebody else's father died besides Bono's? I didn't know this, but which band member recently lost their father?

The best news is that they've apparently been seen together in the studio---as opposed to just hearing a quote from one band member. 2008 isn't bad (and cheers to Blue Room for not throwing in an "I told you so" to half the forum, even though it's rightly desereved :wink: ).

I'm also glad that Lanois is in there. Even if you don't like ATYCLB, you've got to recognize that the band has made their best work with him in the studio. One thing that I feared about having only Rubin is that U2 have perhaps gotten used to producers "down in the trenches" & working on material with them over the last two decades, whereas it sounds like Rubin's style is really to just come in towards the end of the process. For all we know, U2 on their own can no longer make good music at all and need someone in there with them. :ohmy: Who knows.

As for Mercy, I'm glad it's on there---if for no other reason than to see if and how it's changed. It may remain the same, but years have gone past, so who knows. For some reason, I have a music fetish for seeing how outtakes and early versions end up. :wink: Plus, as has been mentioned before, I think parts of it could be great to see live.

If Mercy is seriously being considered, I wonder if it can shed some light on how they're currently feeling about the mood of the album....:hmm:

if they are saying 2008 right now, then im gonna assume it comes out in 2009.

Blue Room said:

Still, does anyone have the snippet that was aired? I have never heard it. At least I dont recall hearing it anyway.

I don't have it, but to aid your search, it was a 60 Minutes interview that aired at about the time ATYCLB was released. From what I remember, they showed Bono in the studio doing vocals for Stuck in A Moment, some of the interview was done on the roof of the Clarence, and in between they went for a spin in Bono's Mercedes, and in the car he played about 20 seconds of the Original chorus. I think it was just acoustic guitar sounding. Very bare.

Blue Room said:

I love Mercy and feel exactly the same way

Mercy should have been on the U218 thing....

Good news...great news!!!! Even a better news comming from Adam, cause he doesn't say things he cannot hold....

Mercy is the best song in years and if it makes the cut for the album, it will be a good news, cause the mood of the album will be close to AB.... kind of dark, melancolic, disturbing..... I love it!

Can't wait till 2008!!!!!

but 99.99% of u2 fans have, and they buy most of the records.

I think you mean to suggest that 99.99% of the u2 fans who make a point of being part of the online community of u2 fans. This is a lot different a number than the ones who simply buy the records.

but 99.99% of u2 fans have, and they buy most of the records.

False. Approximately 51,711 fans may have, and the rest will give us their email address. :lol:

You can't honestly believe that every U2 fan has heard Mercy. That's ludicrous! :huh:

LemonMelon said:

False. Approximately 51,711 fans may have, and the rest will give us their email address. :lol:

You can't honestly believe that every U2 fan has heard Mercy. That's ludicrous! :huh:

dont bother, this notion is way too difficult for some on here to grasp.

wow, big surprise here. 4 years later? noooo.....

Nothing unexpected. Good news, at least its not longer.

I'm glad MERCY might be released, its a great song. Not sure its deserving of all the hype it gets here, but its very solid.

Back
Top Bottom