A 'Window" to the future album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stargift

The Fly
I know many have said that "Window" is showing us the direction that we will see U2 take on the next album. I'm a little skeptical of that premise. The reasons being:
The same was said of "Electrical Storm" and in the end it didn't really give us much of a clue of the following album. Another point is that U2 doesn't really seem like they are into doing theme albums.You can have multitudes of musical directions on one cd. Think how distant musically Vertigo is from Yahweh. Or COBL from SYCMIOYO. Anyway, this is just one fans opinion. How about you?

stargift said:
I know many have said that "Window" is showing us the direction that we will see U2 take on the next album. I'm a little skeptical of that premise. The reasons being:
The same was said of "Electrical Storm" and in the end it didn't really give us much of a clue of the following album. Another point is that U2 doesn't really seem like they are into doing theme albums.You can have multitudes of musical directions on one cd. Think how distant musically Vertigo is from Yahweh. Or COBL from SYCMIOYO. Anyway, this is just one fans opinion. How about you?

i would say you answered your own question with your "Electrical Storm" point. :)

there is always too much time between the random "in between" albums single to really link them to a change in direction. I am going to take "window" as an interlude...nothing more.

:shrug:
Could be, HMTMKMKM pointed to a more guitar driven album, '98 version of S. Thing started this whole songwriting/pop phase.

For me. E. Storm was a hint to the edge (no pun intented) of Bomb compared to ATYCLB. Less poppy, more guitars.

Well, if you've heard the Beach clips, then you'll know that Window IS indicative of the sound of those songs. Whether the album goes the same way is another question of course....

Personally I like WITS but I definitely want more of a rock album and less of a pop one.

I hope not. Window in the Skies is an OK pop song, but it would be a bad move for U2 if they would made another radio-friendly album.

Either a new direction or a full rock and roll album.

I guarantee you that U2s next album will consist of 11-12 beatlesque songs with catchy choruses and lots of oh oh oh oh oooooh oooh ooooooooohhhh bridges.

Electrical Storm = Slide guitar

Edge used his slide a lot on the Bomb.
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug solo
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own solo
Love And Peace Or Else solo

That's four of 11 songs, so maybe not a lot but still quite a few slide parts :p

if the beach clips are any indication, theyre still in adult contemp mode

I'd say they were in the "Let's not write any songs that will embarrass us in front of the kids" mode. :wink:

Re: Re: A 'Window" to the future album?

The_Edge89 said:
Electrical Storm = Slide guitar

Edge used his slide a lot on the Bomb.
City Of Blinding Lights
Miracle Drug solo
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own solo
Love And Peace Or Else solo

That's four of 11 songs, so maybe not a lot but still quite a few slide parts :p

...not to mention the obvious similarities with Crumbs, and if "Electrical Storm" meant to say "more raw rock and less pop-rock tunes" we had Vertigo, for instance.

Sorry but to be a masterpiece it would have to stand on it's own sound... not be called X-esque.

I will hope for a technical tour de force :rockon: from The Edge,
Larry and Adam. For me it is the one area they haven't explored
that much. Mix the main stream with there very own slip stream

Popular songs not pop! Rock yes, main stream yes and slip stream yes.

Pleas Santa, pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swan269 said:
there is always too much time between the random "in between" albums single to really link them to a change in direction. I am going to take "window" as an interlude...nothing more.

Not necessarily. It depends of if the one off's come from the next album's recording session or not. Jesus Christ signalled Rattle & Hum. Night & Day hinted at Achtung Baby. And not necessarily Electrical Storm, but rather their contribution to the Ramones tribute is what hinted at HTDAAB.

Though you could make a case for E Storm if you counted the Band Version which was guitar heavy, as was Bomb.

I'd argue U2 has always done sonically themed albums, but there's always one or two songs that don't mesh as well as others. JT's odd man out was Trip; Pop's was SATS, ATYCLB's was BD & Elevation, Bomb's was COBL, OSC & Yahweh.

super fly guy said:
WITS is a very average pop song,i really hope the new album is it!

We really need a 1980-1998 forum on here. Love the old stuff, bash the new stuff all you want there; rather than have people who can't adjust bringing down others excitement at new material.

I'm aware JT isn't all new sounding, but it is at least original enough to stand on it's own without comparisons.

powerhour24 said:
I'm aware JT isn't all new sounding, but it is at least original enough to stand on it's own without comparisons.

True enough, but really that one is the only one that can do that. Even Achtung Baby has a lot of other influences easily detectable. Doesn't take away from it's greatness though; just like their other albums.

AB has plenty of influences, but comes out the other side being a rather original sounding album because of their own influence on it as well as such a combination of sounds.

AB you can't say as a whole sounds such and such-esque, true you can show some things that might remind you of something but it wouldn't be like making a whole Beatleesque album, which there's no way they're going to do.

we have enough songs that can serve as the soundtrack to Grey's Anatomy.

U2 just has to abandon the presssure of having to release an accessible, world beating album that ensures their status as the Biggest Band in the World.

Make something raw, from the gut, with no lyrics with the word "love" in it. WITS, although a decent enough song, has got me worried that they've lost all sense of danger and edginess (no pun intended)-- just too safe for me.

Back
Top Bottom