A serious what we know thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabiggestu2fan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Okay, I just want to start this thread (and i know there is one already) but I just hope it will be strictly on what we know, IE titles of songs, recording sessions etc and don't want this thread to turn into a thread like others were people write titles of songs just to be funny and what not.

Oh wait I think I am just asking for this thread to be hijacked! But its worth a try: Only serious information here. No guessing of names like stop (the poverty), or "one bir, one nest aids killed it all" etc etc. This thread is meant to be so that people can see whats up with U2 and not have to search through the hundreds of funny replies just to get the info we want.

Is that too much to ask for??:madspit: :rant:

Honestly there is really only one thread that became funny replies and that was the new song title thread. The other threads about it have stayed pretty much on topic and not into funny mode. :shrug: Maybe you should just start a new song titles thread and not a what we know thread.

Plus, not everything said in jest on other threads is necessarily not true. :wink:

Come on, he asked for serious replies, I think we have enough jokes in other threads.

First sessions included Abbey Road recording (with Rick Rubin) in last September for three weeks. Edge said in Dec 2006 they had "5,6 song we're excited about, but nothing serious to record yet". (it isn't clear whether Rubin is still producing, as he hasn't been mentioned since)

It was relatively quiet until June, when they were in Fez, Morocco for 2 weeks, which - according to Bono - resulted in 10 songs. These sessions were done with Eno/Lanois, who were included on a songwriting only basis. They worked with African musicians, and it sounds "quiet different, experimental" (Larry). Edge introduced Bono to African music. Larry said they did music with Eno/Lanois in Dublin/France earlier this year and will continue to do so later in the year. Eno says the African music they are sorrounded with doesn't have the usual pop music - verse-chorus-verse - structure and Bono said listening to local singers is influencing his vocal style.

We have two official (for now) song titles: For your love and One bird. One song was desribed as "soul song with Arabic influences", and another as "story telling epic song, at 7-8 minutes length". Both Bono and Edge said they're still working on Mercy.

Last edited:
U2 are a rock band from Dublin, Ireland. The band consists of Bono (vocals and guitar), The Edge (guitar, keyboards and vocals), Adam Clayton (bass guitar), and Larry Mullen Jr. (drums and percussion). U2 have consistently been one of the most popular acts in the world since the mid-1980s. The band has sold upwards of 170 million albums worldwide,[1] and they have won 22 Grammy Awards, more than any other rock artist.[2]

Just some notes, there isn't a lot known right now:

No producer yet, Rubin is rumored, Eno and Lanois are working in a songwriting capacity, that might disqualify them as producers. If Greg Fidelman is in that picture from Fez, surely Rubin is the producer but I don't think we know it's him.

From an article on May 31, 2006, Bono said:

"I've got a lot of songs, oddly enough, from taking piano lessons," he said. "My kid's piano teacher, Dawn, has been teaching me the piano. And every time she gives me a lesson, I write a new song. So next week, when [the band and I] meet up, I have all these songs to play for them. So I'd like to thin out my schedule in terms of the politics and activism and just get lost in the music again — that's what I'm really looking forward to for the summer."

I think the Beachlegs were fan-recorded in June?? maybe July '06, they recorded with Green Day and Rick Rubin in September. Window in the Skies was from that session (Beachlegs).

They have any number of leftovers we coud mention.
Mercy, of course, Bono said it will be on the album

Bulldozer, Lead Me In The Way I Should Go, You Can't Give Away Your Heart and at least a dozen others that have been mentioned for years

Northern Star-from HTDAAB sessions, it's about Johnny Cash and supposedly has an organ bit from Michael W Smith.

If I Could Live My Life Again, mentioned in a Bono book.

Love Is All We Have Left, supposed to be Sinatra-esque

I can't remember all the adopted names of all the beachlegs, All My Life is one, there are a couple others, someone will list them.

then the two Fez songs mentioned plus whatever else

I bet they have a ton of material right now but you know them, they'll need a year to figure out what they are doing.

Sound:
Well, Edge mentioned the Bee Gees and Eagles in an interview, which just reeks of harmonies, which IMO is a great thing, obviously there is the Moroocan influence, there is a supposed New Orleans influence somewhere (Music Rising work etc. ) and then there is the Abbey Road stuff, whatever is left over.

Wooohooo, let's all get excited over non-information about an album we won't hear until 2009! :happy:

matsimon said:
"First sessions included Abbey Road recording (with Rick Rubin) in last September for three weeks"

No! Early days in Eze, france!:wink:

Ah, the beach tapes !

In the last summer, 4 (5) songs were recorded outside of (Bono's?) house in France:

400 - a pop piano song, AKA what later became Window in the skies

402 - a guitar song with bits similar to Dirty day's chorus, sounds closer to their MDH songs or Mercy than the sound on the last two albums

403 - AKA All my life, a pop/rock song with a huge chorus and interesting guitar solo.

404 - AKA Thank you, a slow song built around the piano. Techincally started out as a Daniel Lanois written song.

409 * sounded a lot like the Strokes, and it actually was a solo song by a Strokes member

Lancemc said:
Wooohooo, let's all get excited over non-information about an album we won't hear until 2009! :happy:

:eyebrow: It's clearly coming out in 2008. Really. Stop being so pessimistic. :tsk:

I've been thinking about the whole "when are they going to release the new album?" thing, i don't know if this has been suggested, but i am inclined to believe they'll release something to occupany U23D :shrug:

look at their history, when the vertigo tour was post-poned they released U218 singles and WITS- which i don't think would of happened if the tour went to plan, afterall- it made sense to create some interest and hype when the tour recommenced...

It just seems natural to me that they'd release something- a single maybe, or something similar to R&H while the hype will be high when the movie is released...
any comments?

Hey everybody, i'm just a new guy looking around here...

And i sure hope they release something like pop, but more finished and because the band weren't happy then it is a possibility....

Back
Top Bottom