A positive update from Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Hopefully our Italian friends can confirm I got this right: Edge talked to MTV news, first he spoke about their performance at the Superdome, emphasizing the audience had the spirit and carried the bands.
Then he talked about recording The saints are coming at Abbey road (nothing more specific in the article) and the cover picture for the single. The single cover will include a picture of the Ninth Ward, part of New Orleans.
Lastly, he spoke of the sessions with Rick Rubin and work on the new album. He said the sessions went very well and that there is no reason why the work with the producer should be stopped.

:edit: see the link below, it's more accurate than what I posted.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Hopefully our Italian friends can confirm I got this right: Edge talked to MTV news, first he spoke about their performance at the Superdome, emphasizing the audience had the spirit and carried the bands.
Then he talked about recording The saints are coming at Abbey road (nothing more specific in the article) and the cover picture for the single. The single cover will include a picture of the Ninth Ward, part of New Orleans.
Lastly, he spoke of the sessions with Rick Rubin and work on the new album. He said the sessions went very well and that there is no reason why the work with the producer should be stopped.

Many thanks for the update U2girl. :up:

"We've been doing a lot of work with Rick, and at this point, it seems to be going very well, so my guess would be yes, he's going to be producing our new record," Edge said. "We're still in the early stages, so it's difficult to say what will happen or what it will be like, but we've really been enjoying the sessions, and I don't see any reason why they should stop."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1541856/20060927/u2.jhtml?headlines=true

:hmm: I wonder how all this will go along once Rubin gets called by Metallica and Linkin Park. It is interesting to see that they once again, won't turn to Eno/Lanois.

U2girl said:
:hmm: I wonder how all this will go along once Rubin gets called by Metallica and Linkin Park. It is interesting to see that they once again, won't turn to Eno/Lanois.

It's kind of a shame they won't. Say what you want about Lanois/Eno but they produced in my opinion U2's four best albums. No reason to believe another Lanois/Eno album wouldn't be just as good or better than UF, ATYCLB or either of the other two Eno/Lanois albums.

I agree their best work probably came out with them (JT and AB, I would rank UF and War next), that said, it's nice to see a change. I also think ATYCLB isn't quite up to par with their previous work with the band.

Glad to hear that Edge says all is going well. Lets just hope that there arent any more Crumbs From Your Table, or Miracle Drug. At least Flood isnt hanging around anymore.

I want your avatar U2girl.

U2girl said:

Not to mention Velvet Revolver who claims he's producing their next record. And whatever else....

I can't work it out but if you discount December for the touring, it's a month they usually take off anyways for holiday. I don't see it as a huge sidestep.

It's possible they could resume after the first of the year, work hard for 6 or 8 months, which should be plenty of time and have an album out by next Christmas.

Then my guess would be that Rubin would start working with Metallica in fall of next year.

The key to me seems to be how much both parties are willing to commit to it right now. If U2 tells Rubin "we are ready to go non stop!" Then Rubin might tell everyone else to hold off. If U2 want more months of writing/recording to come up with material before bringing Rubin back in, he may move on to one of those other projects.

My inclination is that Rubin is itching to work with U2 and Metallica and those other bands will be on the back burner until that's worked out. In other words, I think it's key to monitor where Metallica might be headed with their next project, because if they sink their teeth into Rubin during U2's downtime, then it might get real interesting.

I'll do some searching to see if I can come up with some info.

this is from Blabbermouth (SEP 20):

Though Rick Rubin is currently tied up with U2 in London, he's slated to work with both METALLICA and VELVET REVOLVER next, VR drummer Matt Sorum informed RollingStone.com Monday night (Sept. 18) during the Hard Rock Café’s 35th birthday extravaganza. "I think we're going to beat METALLICA to the studio 'cause we write songs faster than they do," he boasted.

I do think that when Rubin has to prioritise, his ego (and I don't mean that in a bad way either) will make him want to put out a U2 album with his name on it as producer

I think just about any producer would

Salome said:
I think just about any producer would

absolutely.

perhaps only Radiohead could trump U2 in having their pick of producers at their beck and call.

Radiohead because of the perceived "cooler/artsier" factor.

all looks good for a 2007 release!

if you look at rubin's track record, which can be found on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin

he has a tendency to work quickly and/or produce multiple records from big name artists in the same year.

in the past 2 years he's produced albums/tracks from weezer, audioslave, 2 from system of a down, neil diamond, slayer, dixie chicks, johnny cash, talib kweli, justin timberlake and a double-cd by the red hot chili peppers.

i'd say producing u2, metallica, velvet revolver and linkin park between now and the end of 2007 isn't exactly too much to ask for him.

btw... the weezer album peaked in the US at #2, audioslave at #1, the two system of a down at #1, neil diamond #4, slayer #5, chili peppers #1, dixie chicks #1, johnny cash #1, timberlake #1, and talib kweli's album comes out in november.

yea... he does ok for himself.

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
if you look at rubin's track record, which can be found on wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin

he has a tendency to work quickly and/or produce multiple records from big name artists in the same year.

i'd say producing u2, metallica, velvet revolver and linkin park between now and the end of 2007 isn't exactly too much to ask for him.

This is all true but it's certainly relative to how fast the artists themselves are writing. Recording is the easier part, IMO.

My feeling is that this will wind up a collaborative production effort anyway. Jacknife Lee is already in the studio with them.

U2DMfan said:

My feeling is that this will wind up a collaborative production effort anyway. Jacknife Lee is already in the studio with them.

Is Jacknife Lee in the studio? The site that published that bit of news was quick to also put it down. :confused: I don't remember the band mentioning anyone outside of Rubin in the studio so far...I guess looking at Edge's "no reason to stop" comment the band will want to press hard on this album before the tour and afterwards.

U2girl said:
Ah, I see. Sooo it's Rubin producing and Jacknife Lee mixing?
Right now ? Yeah.

082304.jpg

He looks like a psychopath farmer.

Barring any unexpected life-changing events or big fallouts with Rubin, we're getting an album next year. :drool: I really just don't see this guy letting U2 pansy about for a few years.

I can't decide if the studio version of The Saints Are Coming has any insight for us into what the U2/Rubin teamup has in store for us....

Utoo said:
Barring any unexpected life-changing events or big fallouts with Rubin, we're getting an album next year. :drool: I really just don't see this guy letting U2 pansy about for a few years.

I can't decide if the studio version of The Saints Are Coming has any insight for us into what the U2/Rubin teamup has in store for us....

Agreed...and I like "Saints" it's just kick ass enough to make me want more...:drool:

the saints is an awesome direction. no pussyshit there. very interesting sound and gets the band going.

How is the production on Saints? More like Eno/Lanois, more like Lillywhite or different?

Back
Top Bottom