A Mate Met Steve Matthews, MD of Principal Yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianvox

Acrobat
Steve basically said that touring will be very different this time around due to family commitments. Stadium tour of US a definite with shows on Thurs, Fri and Sat nights only. Extensive European tour as well but no shows in Asia / Australia.

Steve also said that the set design is 'massive'. Basically, the biggest development in concert going since Zoo TV. Its fairly radical and involves audience interaction.

This makes me very excited!!!!

Steve basically said that touring will be very different this time around due to family commitments. Stadium tour of US a definite with shows on Thurs, Fri and Sat nights only. Extensive European tour as well but no shows in Asia / Australia.

Steve also said that the set design is 'massive'. Basically, the biggest development in concert going since Zoo TV. Its fairly radical and involves audience interaction.

This makes me very excited!!!!

Are you kidding me...They won't tour down under...now thats bullshit if true :down:

Thats the story I'm afraid. Steve said that the scale of the show was too big to justify Australasia.

Part of the audience interaction is to do with texting and crowd video content that you can submit prior to going to a show. You'll be able to upload a video to u2.com. The audience video is then used in the visuals for the show. Steve said the concept was to extend Zoo TV which drew on TV content from around the world - this is the fans content. Real life. They envisage fans making the soundbites / visuals this time around. Willie is going to be busy!!!

Also, Steve said the tour is not called after any of the songs on the album but a lyric of one of the songs.

I hope this is not true.

I don't see doing them an US stadium tour in fall.

And what's up with the family commitment suddenly?

I hope this is not true.

not sure - but often bands get to stage where the prospect of being away from family that long takes its toll. if you work 3 nights a week in the US you can base your family somewhere and have time with them.

Spring stadium tour of US planned.

Hold the fuck on, Your "mate" met this guy and he just let all this info slip? Now, if the album is anything to go by then why would Mathhews just talk about this? Is your mate high up in the business or something?

I guess I'm a little pissed because Australia may miss out, AGAIN.

I hope this is not true.

Where did our man brianvox say anything about touring in the fall?

And does U2 even have any fans in Asia or Australia? :bono:

Hold the fuck on, Your "mate" met this guy and he just let all this info slip? Now, if the album is anything to go by then why would Mathhews just talk about this? Is your mate high up in the business or something?

Steve is ex-Universal. I can't really say any more but it would be a fair assumption that my mate may work in Universal and / or have taken over Stev Matthews old job....

OK, that makes more sense.

I was just thinking that fall would be too late to do stadiums, not that they won't do stadiums at all.

And GAF, you'll have to discuss that one with the Australian fans on this board. I don't think they'd be too happy.

Thats the story I'm afraid. Steve said that the scale of the show was too big to justify Australasia.

Part of the audience interaction is to do with texting and crowd video content that you can submit prior to going to a show. You'll be able to upload a video to u2.com. The audience video is then used in the visuals for the show. Steve said the concept was to extend Zoo TV which drew on TV content from around the world - this is the fans content. Real life. They envisage fans making the soundbites / visuals this time around. Willie is going to be busy!!!

Also, Steve said the tour is not called after any of the songs on the album but a lyric of one of the songs.

I wonder if that lyric is in Unknown Caller?

The "I Don't Wanna Talk About Wars Between Nations Tour"
and then no damn speeches about wars, Africa, etc. Just play music!!!

@Brianvox: thanks for all the info. Great research!

not sure - but often bands get to stage where the prospect of being away from family that long takes its toll. if you work 3 nights a week in the US you can base your family somewhere and have time with them.

so that means OR a very short leg in the US (esp considering t would be 3 nights a week...) OR you are talking about spring 2010?

I'd rather they toured everywhere and concentrated on the music than having another extravagant massive show with gazillions of effects. I want setlist variation and great Bono vocals. Please no more stupid costumes or visual overload.

I'd rather they toured everywhere and concentrated on the music than having another extravagant massive show with gazillions of effects. I want setlist variation and great Bono vocals. Please no more stupid costumes or visual overload.

I'd rather them tour everywhere and still have another Zoo Tv like show :wink:

They're perfectionists and great showmen - I don't think you'll get your wish

I'm expecting visual overload AND great vocals.... Setlist variation is the question mark....

The upside to this is the band will be in a great mood every show having just come from seeing their families, Bono's voice won't be all haggard after playing 4 nights in a row.

The downside to this is less shows = less tickets = $$$$$ tickets

I second that, they cant miss us out again! why should the usa and europe get it every time and we miss out?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom