A Mate Met Steve Matthews, MD of Principal Yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather they toured everywhere and concentrated on the music than having another extravagant massive show with gazillions of effects. I want setlist variation and great Bono vocals. Please no more stupid costumes or visual overload.

Elevation and Vertigo tours were like this. I hate stadium shows but I wouldn't mind a little visual overload. Please hold the bubble suits and spandex.

springsteen did a similar tourning schedule for stadiums in the US, i.e. mostly just weekend dates... every date was thursday thru monday...

2/28 Hartford, CT HCC Arena Set List
3/2 Montreal, QC Bell Centre Set List
3/3 Hamilton, ONT Copps Coliseum Set List
3/6 Rochester, NY Blue Cross Arena Set List
3/7 Buffalo, NY HSBC Arena Set List
3/10 Hempstead, NY Nassau Coliseum Set List
3/14 Omaha, NE Quest Center Set List
3/16 St. Paul, MN Xcel Center Set List
3/17 Milwaukee, WI Bradley Center Set List
3/20 Indianapolis, IN Conseco Fieldhouse Set List
3/22 Cincinnati, OH U.S. Bank Arena Set List
3/24 Columbus, OH Schottenstein Center Set List
3/28 Portland, OR The Rose Garden Set List
3/29 Seattle, WA Key Arena Set List
3/31 Vancouver, BC GM Place Set List
4/4 Sacramento, CA Arco Arena Set List
4/5 San Jose, CA HPPavillion at San Jose Set List
4/7 Anaheim, CA Honda Center Set List
4/8 Anaheim, CA Honda Center Set List
4/13 Dallas, TX American Airlines Center Set List
4/14 Houston, TX Toyota Center Set List
4/22 Tampa, FL St. Pete Times Forum Set List
4/23 Orlando, FL Amway Arena Set List
4/25 Atlanta, GA Philips Arena Set List
4/27 Charlotte, NC Charlotte Bobcat Arena Set List
4/28 Greensboro, NC Greensboro Coliseum Set List
4/30 Charlottesville, VA John Paul Jones Arena Set List
5/2 Ft Lauderdale, FL Bank Atlantic Center Set List
5/7 Red Bank, NJ Count Basie Theatre Set List

perhaps u2 is taking a page from bruce with this "weekend only" idea. so it's not as crazy as some may think it sounds... it's been done before. with all the health issues that various members of the e-street had, and bruce's voice, the kids, etc.

after the cancelations of the vertigo tour, moving of shows, etc. that stretched the tour out for so long... the stress on the families because of illness, etc.

they just don't want to get stuck in that situation again, and it's pretty easy to see why and would be pretty selfish of us to complain about it if this does, in fact, end up being the case.

But he never did 3 nights in a row. A Thursday through Monday schedule makes sense(hell even a Thursday - Sunday would make more sense), a Thursday-Saturday schedule does not...

Plus if this is a fall schedule their kids will be in school, I doubt they'll all uproot their families to the states, therefore the band will be traveling back and forth to Ireland every week?

Maybe we can call it the Expensive Jetlag tour...:shrug:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems U2's Australian tour dates traditionally are not planned at the start of the tour anyway. i.e. a similar contact in February 1992 or February 2005 would have said there are no Australian dates planned.

I believe you're right about that. And Australia didn't get the JT tour either but got a lot of love in '89 on the Lovetown tour.
I doubt U2 will miss Australia this time around--but you might not see them til 2010.

I hope all of this is true, except for the Australia part. i agree with everyones point that likely even if they don't initially plan Australia/Japan dates they'll be added later on...

Stadiums would be awesome, they might come to Indianapolis to play the new stadium :drool:

and while I don't know how three nights in a row would affect the band, I like the idea of weekend shows because it means if it's during school I can probably go without missing anything...it would suck to have to choose between U2 and a midterm :| (...I'd pick U2)

the interaction thing sounds tight and totally plausible

we'll see

But he never did 3 nights in a row. A Thursday through Monday schedule makes sense(hell even a Thursday - Sunday would make more sense), a Thursday-Saturday schedule does not...

Yes, but a Thursday-Monday schedule doesn't really qualify to be called a "weekend" schedule because it basically involves all days except Tue and Wed. I don't see much sense in that. I understand why U2 would built their tour schedule around family needs but with their families being in Ireland I don't see how they could manage that without even more stress (flying in and out, jetleg, etc.). I would think it's very difficult because U2 cannot play three or four shows in a row, that's just too stressful, plus the tour would become longer and longer because of the number of dates they'd have to play. I think the ideal setting for them would be to play a show every second night, maybe in exceptional cases two or three shows in a row, but not on a regular basis.

Of course we are talking about a stadium tour this fall!!!

This idea playing Thu to Sat only makes sence. Remember the band is still suffering from Popmart 2nd US leg. They will force people from weak markets to travel to the bigger cities. Example:

2-4 shows in NYC
1 Philly
1 DC
2-4 Boston
2 Miami
2-4 Chicago
2-4 LA
1 Vegas
1 Denver
1 Texas
1 PHX
and that's it.

Well, I hope this won't happen! And actually I don't believe this Thu-Sat...

I believe you're right about that. And Australia didn't get the JT tour either but got a lot of love in '89 on the Lovetown tour.
I doubt U2 will miss Australia this time around--but you might not see them til 2010.

Here's what I know about U2's intentions to tour Australia, but I'm open to correction from somebody like Earnie who probably knows a good deal more than I do about the inner workings of this stuff.

War Tour: Intention to tour Australia, India, and Japan after the European and North American legs. No plans at start of tour. Band was exhausted after rigorous touring schedule, dropped the intentions of Australia and India, and only hit Japan.
UF Tour: Australia announced right at the very start to make up for not coming on War.
JT Tour: Original intention to start down here, but no firm plans; recording album ran overtime and intention dropped. No plans for Australia at start of tour when it did ultimately commence. Possible visit shot down by RAH taking over.
Lovetown: Scheduled to make up for failure to come on JT.
ZooTV: No plans at start of tour. Come mid-1992, rumours circulate of plans to visit in late 1992. Nothing comes of it, possibly due to Zooropa taking over. Finally they come end of 1993.
Popmart: Early copies of the tour programme mention the band's intention to come to Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore. But clearly no definite plans had been made, as Singapore and New Zealand never happened.
Elevation: No plans at start of tour. Tried to make it happen for early 2002 but not found to be feasible.
Vertigo: No plans at start of tour. By the third leg, a visit was up in the air. But late in the third leg, the Aussie tour came to fruition.

So it seems to me that in general, U2 have no plans for an Australian leg at the start of the tour but keep their options open, see how they go, and if no other commitments arise and they aren't totally exhausted, they'll eventually get here. Therefore, even if this friend of a friend (which should ring alarm bells about its veracity!) is right that there is no Australian tour as if this minute, that could just be a sign of business as usual!

Of course we are talking about a stadium tour this fall!!!

This idea playing Thu to Sat only makes sence. Remember the band is still suffering from Popmart 2nd US leg. They will force people from weak markets to travel to the bigger cities. Example:

2-4 shows in NYC
1 Philly
1 DC
2-4 Boston
2 Miami
2-4 Chicago
2-4 LA
1 Vegas
1 Denver
1 Texas
1 PHX
and that's it.

Well, I hope this won't happen! And actually I don't believe this Thu-Sat...

First you say "only makes sense", then you say "I don't believe..."

Which is it?

Your schedule sucks. There's no way. Of course stadiums mean making weaker markets come to larger cities but you are still missing A LOT of ground. Only 1 Texas show? You've got to be kidding... :lol:

First you say "only makes sense", then you say "I don't believe..."

Which is it?

Your schedule sucks. There's no way. Of course stadiums mean making weaker markets come to larger cities but you are still missing A LOT of ground. Only 1 Texas show? You've got to be kidding... :lol:

I hope it doesn't happen like this but I fear It will.

Do you know how many Vertigo shows they played in Texas?

Two arena gigs, both on the third leg. One each in Dallas and Houston. There was quite some surprise here that Texas was omitted entirely from the first leg. In fact, the Vertigo Tour had the least amount of Texas shows of any tour that's hit North America.

If you want precise details: U2 shows by state - Texas (USA) - U2 on tour

I hope it doesn't happen like this but I fear It will.

They only did 2 shows during Vertigo, but you also have to consider the issues they had with that tour...

Elevation they played 4 shows, and Popmart they played 3 stadiums...

My guess would be that even if they play stadiums TX will get at least 2 shows, Houston and Dallas, that way Louisiana and Oklahoma both get covered as well.

Your schedule showed 22 stadium shows, that's compared to 79 arena shows in NA on the Vertigo tour...

It will be interesting to see what really happens, especially with this economy.

But as it stands, I'm not buying the OP's story.

Texas had 2 Vertigo shows. Houston & Dallas. Both shows sold out very quickly with fans traveling from San Antonio, Austin, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Laredo, & other parts of TX.

Stadium shows would do us nicely down here in the Lone Star State....YEE HAAH.

Im confused on the "spring tour" comment. Brianvox, can you clarify? Did you take that to mean Spring 2009 or Spring 2010? Im trying to plan a pregnancy around all this so help a girl out!:wink:

There is no way they're doing spring this year; the tickets would've been sold first week on January....

Yea, JOFO, I guess you are right. Ugh, all the waiting is killing me. I just need to know the exact plan like NOW!

the only way they're doing spring stadiums in the US is if they do arenas in the fall here first. that would be totally silly to release an album in March, and then not tour for another year?

Plus if this is a fall schedule their kids will be in school, I doubt they'll all uproot their families to the states, therefore the band will be traveling back and forth to Ireland every week?

Maybe we can call it the Expensive Jetlag tour...:shrug:

well i'm assuming that the friday, saturday, sunday thing is just a guidline.. it will be very difficult to work that out from a logistical standpoint alone.

i'm under the assumption that it will be similar to how bruce did it, tour around teh weekends with a few dates scattered in other locations here and there to make it work, but mostly friday, saturday, sundays, not neccesarly justfriday, saturday and sunday.

the only way they're doing spring stadiums in the US is if they do arenas in the fall here first. that would be totally silly to release an album in March, and then not tour for another year?

good point. stadiums in Europe for the summer makes perfect sense, but why would they wait til spring to do the US? What would they do during the fall :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom