A Mate Met Steve Matthews, MD of Principal Yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another 'zoo' type tour would have me :drool:

Please play melbourne please play melbourne please play melbourne please play melbourne please play melbourne please play melbourne please play melbourne please play melbourne please play melbourne please play melbourne please play melbourne please play melbourne

please

BsB

I second that, they cant miss us out again! why should the usa and europe get it every time and we miss out?!?!?!

I had the feeling we would miss out this time round. Its our turn again. They toured here with the last album and now its their turn to miss us with this new album :sad:

There's no doubt the Australian audience is there to support touring a huge show - I believe Sydney had the 2nd highest Vertigo attendance of any city behind Dublin - but it's not about that. Mr Financial Meltdown looks at it all a little differently.

ZooTV only made money when you looked at the final overall figures including merchandise. Merchandise sales are surely going to be down given the economy so that will surely affect where they play.

The other factor to consider is Sian's health. She may be fine now but you are looking at I think five years of remission before you can be comfortable and with a huge production like what this sounds like you can't really take a chance on having to cancel. Touring US and Europe is one thing but the travel times to get back from Asia/Australia are insane.

Dana

I'd rather they toured everywhere and concentrated on the music than having another extravagant massive show with gazillions of effects. I want setlist variation and great Bono vocals. Please no more stupid costumes or visual overload.

Here's something rare: You and I in complete agreement.

There's no doubt the Australian audience is there to support touring a huge show - I believe Sydney had the 2nd highest Vertigo attendance of any city behind Dublin - but it's not about that. Mr Financial Meltdown looks at it all a little differently.

Yep, only two cities managed attendance above 200,000 - Dublin (just over 246,000) and Sydney (I forget the precise figure, perhaps around 205,000-210,000?). And I get the impression that Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Auckland all could have supported one more show than they got. Auckland definitely, though if transport costs are tolerable, a third gig would have been more sensibly located in Wellington or Christchurch.

I have trouble seeing how an Australian tour wouldn't be profitable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems U2's Australian tour dates traditionally are not planned at the start of the tour anyway. i.e. a similar contact in February 1992 or February 2005 would have said there are no Australian dates planned.

I wouldn't rule out a australian/asian leg just yet. Im pretty sure they will do that if the boys are in good health / the show is selling out like mad and making huge profits / their family's are in good health.

Then i won't be surprised if they would still go down there.

Steve is ex-Universal. I can't really say any more but it would be a fair assumption that my mate may work in Universal and / or have taken over Stev Matthews old job....

your mate is about to get the sack! :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems U2's Australian tour dates traditionally are not planned at the start of the tour anyway. i.e. a similar contact in February 1992 or February 2005 would have said there are no Australian dates planned.

QFT, they will invariable see how it goes and add more dates legs accordingly. Announced first are normally 2 legs, EU and US. As for the audience interacting with the screens, Massive Attack did exactly the same thing about 5/6 years ago and it was fabulous, I had loads of messages on their screen at the Manchester show... :hyper:

ZooTV only made money when you looked at the final overall figures including merchandise. Merchandise sales are surely going to be down given the economy so that will surely affect where they play.

Yeah, a tour like that in times of economic crisis :hmm:

But of course I hope for the Australian fans that they will return there, after all the Australian/NZ Vertigo leg was amazing.

QFT, they will invariable see how it goes and add more dates legs accordingly. Announced first are normally 2 legs, EU and US. As for the audience interacting with the screens, Massive Attack did exactly the same thing about 5/6 years ago and it was fabulous, I had loads of messages on their screen at the Manchester show... :hyper:
Oh noez, U2 copy Massive Attack shock!!!!!!

I refuse to believe any of this. Not for the fact of the no Asia/Oceania dates, but the rest of it sounds dubious, or at least ambitious in a very stupid way.

However, not once, but at least twice have tours been announced with no plans for visiting Australia and New Zealand, as well as perhaps Japan - and they still went ahead (Zoo, Vertigo). There's a huge market in those three countries, and I'd love to see them play some long overdue Asian countries, too (S. Korea, Philippines, India, China?).

The attendance for the Vertigo Adelaide U2 concert broke AAMI stadium records at the time, too. Over 5% of Adelaideans attended. I ain't one for the mathematics, but that's like, one out of twenty five people. I see probably more people wearing Vertigo tour shirts than shirts for any other band.

Since it is apparently in two songs, could it be the "Let Me in the Sound" tour?

Also, Steve said the tour is not called after any of the songs on the album but a lyric of one of the songs.

That's a relief. It looks like they are going the unexpected route as usual.

The Cockatour.

Hilarious!

Just because they haven't planned a tour leg there right now, it doesn't mean it can't happen at a later date.

I had the feeling we would miss out this time round. Its our turn again. They toured here with the last album and now its their turn to miss us with this new album :sad:

I don't think it's anything about 'turns' - they've come to AU/NZ for TUF, Lovetown, Zoo, Pop and Vertigo - the TUF tour started in those countries to make up for not visiting earlier, JT probably would have taken the boat here with time, Lovetown was, again, made up for that (quite the present, of course made sweeter by the fact they didn't go to the States then), and Zoo, Pop and Vertigo all managed to get in. I don't know what's up with Elevation, though. Who cares, that tour blew. We didn't need it. They knew it and were sparing us, because they love Australia, and they think New Zealand is okay.

bono said at the 3 sydney shows i was at that they were coming back and wouldnt leave it so long next time around?

Just because they haven't planned a tour leg there right now, it doesn't mean it can't happen at a later date.

... which is exactly what I said.

I don't think it's anything about 'turns' - they've come to AU/NZ for TUF, Lovetown, Zoo, Pop and Vertigo - the TUF tour started in those countries to make up for not visiting earlier, JT probably would have taken the boat here with time, Lovetown was, again, made up for that (quite the present, of course made sweeter by the fact they didn't go to the States then), and Zoo, Pop and Vertigo all managed to get in. I don't know what's up with Elevation, though. Who cares, that tour blew. We didn't need it. They knew it and were sparing us, because they love Australia, and they think New Zealand is okay.

The JT Tour was actually meant to begin in New Zealand in late 1986. However, since recording the album ran overtime, the band ditched that plan and intended to play this part of the world and South America in early 1988. Then they got caught up in RAH and we ended up getting Lovetown to make up for all the delays - South America of course wasn't so lucky.

They tried quite hard to come down here on Elevation, but after shocking Popmart attendance and the horrendously weak Aussie dollar, it was hard to envisage a profitable tour. In any case, they also canned plans to do Europe a second time in 2002, so there might've been more at play there than just economics.

bono said at the 3 sydney shows i was at that they were coming back and wouldnt leave it so long next time around?

Meaningless. Bono's said that a lot. I can point to numerous concerts where Bono's said "it won't be so long until next time", only for it to be longer.

That really sucks for people down under but with the economy the way it is and the prohibitive costs to ship equipment there, its probably something they have to do.

Also, its possible they just aren't sure how the album/tour will do. In Europe everyone still loves U2 so they'll be fine. And in the US, its been so hard to get into a U2 concert since the Elevation Tour due to them playing only in Arenas, so it will probably be sold out regardless of whether or not the album is perceived as crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom