A Mate Met Steve Matthews, MD of Principal Yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm buying what this guy says. Summer Europe Tour, back to family/studio over the holidays. Spring/Summer US tour. If they are only doing stadium shows the weekend schedule, similar to Bruce's, makes sense for the US.

Plus if this is a fall schedule their kids will be in school, I doubt they'll all uproot their families to the states, therefore the band will be traveling back and forth to Ireland every week?

Maybe we can call it the Expensive Jetlag tour...:shrug:

All three of them with families have brought their families to the U.S for extended periods of time before (meaning an entire Fall or an entire year), the kids are either enrolled in local schools or receive private tutoring.

All three of them with families have brought their families to the U.S for extended periods of time before (meaning an entire Fall or an entire year), the kids are either enrolled in local schools or receive private tutoring.

exactly, I read an interview with Ali and she stated they have private tutors for the kids when they are on tour.

i'll wait till we get some sort of official announcement or itinerary or something. if they don't come here till next year thats okay, more time to save up. if they do come here, cool, get to see them sooner. right now i'd just like to have the new album already.

if the tour will be THAT massive, they surely MUST bring it here to Southamerica and basically everywhere in the world...

when you have something that big, if more people can see itm, the better. People will pay and they'll be satisfied

if the tour will be THAT massive, they surely MUST bring it here to Southamerica and basically everywhere in the world...

when you have something that big, if more people can see itm, the better. People will pay and they'll be satisfied

South America, Canada and Europe are musts on any tour. Even POP did fairly well in those regions.

They didn't do it for the last tour did they?

Thats the story I'm afraid. Steve said that the scale of the show was too big to justify Australasia.

Part of the audience interaction is to do with texting and crowd video content that you can submit prior to going to a show. You'll be able to upload a video to u2.com. The audience video is then used in the visuals for the show. Steve said the concept was to extend Zoo TV which drew on TV content from around the world - this is the fans content. Real life. They envisage fans making the soundbites / visuals this time around. Willie is going to be busy!!!

Also, Steve said the tour is not called after any of the songs on the album but a lyric of one of the songs.

Maybe its the Reboot Yourself Tour.:lol:

maybe they're going green with their touring.. trying to cut back environmental costs of taking these huge shows all over the world

So it seems to me that in general, U2 have no plans for an Australian leg at the start of the tour but keep their options open, see how they go, and if no other commitments arise and they aren't totally exhausted, they'll eventually get here. Therefore, even if this friend of a friend (which should ring alarm bells about its veracity!) is right that there is no Australian tour as if this minute, that could just be a sign of business as usual!

There are a bunch of reasons as to why they wouldn't plan that far ahead from the start - tour success/failure pending, personal feelings pending etc - but the major, major (and only) reason why we didn't get Elevation, did get Vertigo and why (and I think I said this a while ago) our chances of seeing the Horizon tour at this stage are slim to f*cking none is because of our nosediving dollar. There's also no Live Nation here, they'll still have to work with locals, and I'd think that going by their previous deals (they make promotors take on all the up front risk) some local groups might have trouble in this environment getting that together.

There is of course the chance that the band do have a very firm and different plan for the immediate years ahead, and an outside Europe-US tour doesn't fit this stage of it. It makes sense that they are reigning the touring in a bit, it's only been a matter of time, but it could also be about something else. Shaking up their normal routine/cycle. It could of course be a bit like JT/Lovetown, or ZooTV to a degree. Maybe we won't get tacked on the end of the Horizon tour, but we will get the Next Album one very quickly.

That would be a shame though, I like being near the end, we generally get absolute belters of shows.

But yeah, keep an eye on that dollar, that's where it's at.

Exclusive: U2 get on their boots for 3 Croker crackers | U2 news article from @U2

The secret is out! Today we reveal the inside details of U2's biggest ever world tour.
The rockers are set to return with a bang by with a European stadium tour this summer.
And they will enjoy a huge homecoming celebration with three nights at Croke Park.
We have learned the band has provisionally booked the GAA ground for July 24, 25 and 26.

Then Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. head to America where they will play a full stadium programme for the first time in 12 years.

In September they go to New York, Boston and Chicago before heading to Miami, California and San Francisco over the winter. A source close to the band revealed last night: "They have avoided U.S. stadiums for the past two tours as they were worried they wouldn't sell out. "They obviously think demand is there and want to reclaim their spot as the world's No. 1 band."

Of course we are talking about a stadium tour this fall!!!

This idea playing Thu to Sat only makes sence. Remember the band is still suffering from Popmart 2nd US leg. They will force people from weak markets to travel to the bigger cities. Example:

2-4 shows in NYC
1 Philly
1 DC
2-4 Boston
2 Miami
2-4 Chicago
2-4 LA
1 Vegas
1 Denver
1 Texas
1 PHX
and that's it.

Well, I hope this won't happen! And actually I don't believe this Thu-Sat...

A few additions to your list:

1- Atlanta
1 Seattle
1-2 San Francisco
1- Detroit
1- Minneapolis (might be a stretch though)
1- Somewhere in upstate New York, like Carrier Dome in Syracuse or Buffalo

throw in Canada:
2- Toronto
1- Montreal
1- Winnipeg
1-2 Edmonton
1 Vancouver

Also, I'm going to plead my case for Columbus, OH. Think about it, you have: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Louisville, Lexington, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh within about 3 hours of Columbus, which is no small town itself. Those cities with all points in between could lead to a decent showing at Ohio stadium. The Columbus Popmart show had 45,000 people and was one of the highest attended concerts of the whole US tour.

Also, I think St. Louis could possibly support a stadium show (at a slightly reduced capacity) if it could also draw in people from Memphis, Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines and a few Chicago drifters who couldn't get tickets there.

That gives you about 40 stadium shows on a North American tour. Not too bad really.

I have a hard time believing this stuff is true. I mean, am I the only one who sees a little problem with trying to do an outdoor stadium leg during fall in the US...only late in the week and on the weekends? :wink: Those stadiums will be in use more than any time of the year on those weekends in the fall. :doh:

I have a hard time believing this stuff is true. I mean, am I the only one who sees a little problem with trying to do an outdoor stadium leg during fall in the US...only late in the week and on the weekends? :wink: Those stadiums will be in use more than any time of the year on those weekends in the fall. :doh:

Well the dude who mentioned the weekend schedule said the US leg would happen in the spring of '10, which would then make more sense.

how depressing. Vertigo was my first show, I was just that bit too young for Zoo. It was a great show but everytime I watch Zoo or Pop tours on DVD I just wish I could see an event like that. Now they're doing it but missing us. This is so incredibly dissapointng. At least come to Sydney, I can travel there.

Looks like us Australians will have to enjoy the DVD (again). :sad:

Exclusive: U2 get on their boots for 3 Croker crackers | U2 news article from @U2

The secret is out! Today we reveal the inside details of U2's biggest ever world tour.
The rockers are set to return with a bang by with a European stadium tour this summer.
And they will enjoy a huge homecoming celebration with three nights at Croke Park.
We have learned the band has provisionally booked the GAA ground for July 24, 25 and 26.

Then Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. head to America where they will play a full stadium programme for the first time in 12 years.

In September they go to New York, Boston and Chicago before heading to Miami, California and San Francisco over the winter. A source close to the band revealed last night: "They have avoided U.S. stadiums for the past two tours as they were worried they wouldn't sell out. "They obviously think demand is there and want to reclaim their spot as the world's No. 1 band."

Also been posted here: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/tour-rumours-192730.html

I was at Popmart Sydney, really wanted to go to Zoo but was forced on a family holiday (I was 13 at the time). Popmart was incredible. I think they put in a better performance at Vertigo, firing on all cylinders as a band, but it wasn’t the same type of overall experience Popmart was. Now Zoo, both the experience and the band on fire…. missing that is one of my greatest regrets. Made even worse by the fact that the DVD is of the actual f*cking show I would have been at.

Also, I'm going to plead my case for Columbus, OH. Think about it, you have: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Louisville, Lexington, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh within about 3 hours of Columbus, which is no small town itself. Those cities with all points in between could lead to a decent showing at Ohio stadium. The Columbus Popmart show had 45,000 people and was one of the highest attended concerts of the whole US tour.

My very first U2 concert was PopMart at Ohio Stadium! Needless to say I still haven't gotten over it! :love:

I will plead with you. Plus, Columbus is such a "cleaner" city than Detroit! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom