A Mate Met Steve Matthews, MD of Principal Yesterday - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissybaby View Post
QFT, they will invariable see how it goes and add more dates legs accordingly. Announced first are normally 2 legs, EU and US. As for the audience interacting with the screens, Massive Attack did exactly the same thing about 5/6 years ago and it was fabulous, I had loads of messages on their screen at the Manchester show...
Oh noez, U2 copy Massive Attack shock!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:07 PM
I refuse to believe any of this. Not for the fact of the no Asia/Oceania dates, but the rest of it sounds dubious, or at least ambitious in a very stupid way.

However, not once, but at least twice have tours been announced with no plans for visiting Australia and New Zealand, as well as perhaps Japan - and they still went ahead (Zoo, Vertigo). There's a huge market in those three countries, and I'd love to see them play some long overdue Asian countries, too (S. Korea, Philippines, India, China?).

The attendance for the Vertigo Adelaide U2 concert broke AAMI stadium records at the time, too. Over 5% of Adelaideans attended. I ain't one for the mathematics, but that's like, one out of twenty five people. I see probably more people wearing Vertigo tour shirts than shirts for any other band.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
I refuse to believe any of this.
I'm not convinced either, no disrespect to the OP, but I don't like these "my mate met..." stories...
Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #49
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:37 AM
Since it is apparently in two songs, could it be the "Let Me in the Sound" tour?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 AM   #50
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvox View Post

Also, Steve said the tour is not called after any of the songs on the album but a lyric of one of the songs.
That's a relief. It looks like they are going the unexpected route as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSU2mike View Post
The Cockatour.
Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems U2's Australian tour dates traditionally are not planned at the start of the tour anyway. i.e. a similar contact in February 1992 or February 2005 would have said there are no Australian dates planned.
Just because they haven't planned a tour leg there right now, it doesn't mean it can't happen at a later date.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 AM   #51
War Child

you would'nt have the beautiful version of Kite if it were'nt for us Aussies

Hopefully after 2nd or 3rd leg they agree on an Australasion tour and South America too!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #52
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:37 AM
It will be called the Yeah Yeah Yeah tour, with opening act the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretFly View Post
I had the feeling we would miss out this time round. Its our turn again. They toured here with the last album and now its their turn to miss us with this new album
I don't think it's anything about 'turns' - they've come to AU/NZ for TUF, Lovetown, Zoo, Pop and Vertigo - the TUF tour started in those countries to make up for not visiting earlier, JT probably would have taken the boat here with time, Lovetown was, again, made up for that (quite the present, of course made sweeter by the fact they didn't go to the States then), and Zoo, Pop and Vertigo all managed to get in. I don't know what's up with Elevation, though. Who cares, that tour blew. We didn't need it. They knew it and were sparing us, because they love Australia, and they think New Zealand is okay.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #54
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
your mate is about to get the sack!

That's what I was thinking.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #55
An Interferer

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Quote:
Spring stadium tour of US planned.

Before Europe? Spring 2009?
Or after Europe? Spring 2010?

Quote:
Also, Steve said the tour is not called after any of the songs on the album but a lyric of one of the songs.
(Big) revelations - tour
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #56
The Fly

bono said at the 3 sydney shows i was at that they were coming back and wouldnt leave it so long next time around?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #57
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge View Post
Just because they haven't planned a tour leg there right now, it doesn't mean it can't happen at a later date.
... which is exactly what I said.

Quote:
I don't think it's anything about 'turns' - they've come to AU/NZ for TUF, Lovetown, Zoo, Pop and Vertigo - the TUF tour started in those countries to make up for not visiting earlier, JT probably would have taken the boat here with time, Lovetown was, again, made up for that (quite the present, of course made sweeter by the fact they didn't go to the States then), and Zoo, Pop and Vertigo all managed to get in. I don't know what's up with Elevation, though. Who cares, that tour blew. We didn't need it. They knew it and were sparing us, because they love Australia, and they think New Zealand is okay.
The JT Tour was actually meant to begin in New Zealand in late 1986. However, since recording the album ran overtime, the band ditched that plan and intended to play this part of the world and South America in early 1988. Then they got caught up in RAH and we ended up getting Lovetown to make up for all the delays - South America of course wasn't so lucky.

They tried quite hard to come down here on Elevation, but after shocking Popmart attendance and the horrendously weak Aussie dollar, it was hard to envisage a profitable tour. In any case, they also canned plans to do Europe a second time in 2002, so there might've been more at play there than just economics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_digg View Post
bono said at the 3 sydney shows i was at that they were coming back and wouldnt leave it so long next time around?
Meaningless. Bono's said that a lot. I can point to numerous concerts where Bono's said "it won't be so long until next time", only for it to be longer.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #58
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 AM
That really sucks for people down under but with the economy the way it is and the prohibitive costs to ship equipment there, its probably something they have to do.

Also, its possible they just aren't sure how the album/tour will do. In Europe everyone still loves U2 so they'll be fine. And in the US, its been so hard to get into a U2 concert since the Elevation Tour due to them playing only in Arenas, so it will probably be sold out regardless of whether or not the album is perceived as crap.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The JT Tour was actually meant to begin in New Zealand in late 1986.
Really? I had no idea. Presumably partly because of Greg Carroll's passing?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #60
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Quote:
Really? I had no idea. Presumably partly because of Greg Carroll's passing?
Precisely.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Closed Thread

Tags
u2 facts