A Little Brainstorming About Clip #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reead

Acrobat
We are almost certain that Bono sings "Sixteenth of June" at one point during the song. So, I decided to look up things that happened on June 16th in History.

June 16 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most notable in my opinion:

"1904 - Irish author James Joyce begins a relationship with Nora Barnacle, and subsequently uses the date to set the actions for his novel Ulysses; traditionally "Bloomsday"."

"1997 - The Dairat Labguer massacre in Algeria; 50 people are killed. "

"2000 - Israel complies with UN Security Council Resolution 425 after 22 years of it issuance, which calls on Israel to completely withdraw from Lebanon. Israel withdraws from all of Lebanon, except the disputed Sheba Farms."

I dunno about Cedars. Do you hear Hendrix in this song?

Then again, the descriptions made by bandmembers/those working on the album are rarely accurate. See: Punk rock on venus.

The description specified that the drums were Hendrix-inspired. Honestly, I can barely hear the drums on that clip.

Ah.

Either way I think it's near impossible to assign these clips to song titles. Keep in mind that we've only received a handful of song titles and that there will be songs with titles that we've not heard yet and it's more than possible that some of the titles we've heard will not make it to the album.

"Beautiful Day" was "Always" and "Vertigo" was "Native Son" and so on and so forth...

"No Line On The Horizon" - Bono and Edge played this song for a USA Today writer during an in-the-car interview at the Sundance Film Festival. On hearing it, writer Anthony Breznican says "heavy distortion fills the car," and later adds: "The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain." Edge explains that the song "It came out of a new distortion box that my guitar tech got."

I think clip 2 might be NLOTH :hmm:

Really great find Reead!

....around 2:45 at the bridge i think i hear 'the cedars of lebannon'

IMO this will be the song to accompany the apple ad, kinda makes sense "walk out into the streets" that the crew in spain filmed around the streets.

My first impression was that clip 2 was the Hendrix-inspired song, it's surely not any of the other clips anyway. Maybe NLOTH was slated to be the name of the song, but then they realised they wanted that as the album title, and switched it cedars of lebannon?

We are almost certain that Bono sings "Sixteenth of June" at one point during the song. So, I decided to look up things that happened on June 16th in History.

June 16 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most notable in my opinion:

"1904 - Irish author James Joyce begins a relationship with Nora Barnacle, and subsequently uses the date to set the actions for his novel Ulysses; traditionally "Bloomsday"."

"1997 - The Dairat Labguer massacre in Algeria; 50 people are killed. "

"2000 - Israel complies with UN Security Council Resolution 425 after 22 years of it issuance, which calls on Israel to completely withdraw from Lebanon. Israel withdraws from all of Lebanon, except the disputed Sheba Farms."

You forgot the Soweto uprising. U2's history with mandela and South Africa and Apartheid makes it the most likely IMO. Also, the students walked into the streets to protest...

"No Line On The Horizon" - Bono and Edge played this song for a USA Today writer during an in-the-car interview at the Sundance Film Festival. On hearing it, writer Anthony Breznican says "heavy distortion fills the car," and later adds: "The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring the mellow title refrain." Edge explains that the song "It came out of a new distortion box that my guitar tech got."

I think clip 2 might be NLOTH :hmm:

Note the words mellow title refrain. Title refrain being name of the song. I don;t hdear NLOTH or COL in this.

Really great find Reead!

....around 2:45 at the bridge i think i hear 'the cedars of lebannon'

IMO this will be the song to accompany the apple ad, kinda makes sense "walk out into the streets" that the crew in spain filmed around the streets.

When peoiple listen for things in these beach clips, they invariably hear it. Every song has now been assumed to be NLOTH and MOS and COL. Let's reserve judgement.

Also, Stay was filmed in the streets, as was Walk On, as was about a million other clips. That is a very very thin thread to follow

I haven’t been following the threads close enough so I have no idea what the general consensus is on different titles, but would Moment of Surrender be totally ruled out for Clip 2? That song title could be political/religious/personal/happy/angry/sad/all of the above, so virtually anything that’s been suggested as possible lyrics could fit. The chorus (someone/people suddenly walking out into the street), the general ‘vibe’ of the song – just a stab in the dark.

As i posted on another thread i am almost sure that the song begins with the line 15th the june, so 16th the june is the natural progression of the narrative of the lyrics. Listen closely, i know its there.

Well, a reference to this would make sense in COL. There is a definite Hendrix influence at the start, and with some of the guitar parts later on, so it's my best guess.

"Sixteenth of June, There was peace a-l-r-i-g-h-t!!!" (?)

Not sure in the slightest BotH! As dan_smee said, you can hear anything you want on these clips. "There was peace alright" could be "they could see some light" or "there will be a sunrise", or something entirely different. When I finally read the words to Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses a few years back, I had a couple of lyrics completely wrong, and that was from a studio recording! ie don't trust me, I'm just throwing it out there for the purposes of the brainstorming.

All I do know is I slightly overlooked this clip initially, but there's real promise in this song!

Why are people saying we should reserve judgement? We're trying to figure out what songs are what. Why is that a crime? Good detective work Reead. You may be on to something.

Why are people saying we should reserve judgement? We're trying to figure out what songs are what. Why is that a crime? Good detective work Reead. You may be on to something.

Thanks! :wave:

I'm not trying to make a definitive judgement on what the song is about, I'm just trying to figure out the relationship between the lyrics we can actually hear in the clip and what the song will be 'about'.

"1976 - Soweto uprising: a non-violent march by 15,000 students in Soweto, South Africa turns into days of rioting when police open fire on the crowd and kill 566 children."

This is one of the most significant days historically in South Africa - basically like an African Bloody Sunday, but not on Sunday.

I think this is indeed the topic of this song...it makes sense especially with Bono's overall tone...he's delivering the song in a very angry sort of way...angry and frustrated

The vocal delivery from the verses in this song is a fucking improvement, off the bat.
Compare to the lazy, sitting on the couch approach of All Because of You.

Great Edge harmonies going in near the end as well.

Granted, Miracle Drug sounded incredible as a beach clip, so there could be a lot of things that are masked, good and bad.

I'll be back with a shot at the lyrics.
I really haven't listened to this one all that much but I am throwing it thru the ringer currently. I already hear "..strangers in mu home"

Brainstorming right? Why not?

"Speak at you now I ....../15th of June?"
"...........they day I will perform them"
"Could you be? I need to know"

"Truth I'm a ......"
"..............I knew this guy wouldn't lie"
"but then you wanna suck it too"
"then why are there strangers in my home?"

"He/You knew that it would be cars and wine"
"you speak into the ....."
"don't ya see........ooo-ooooh, alright"

"and you will perform this song"
"the songs are in our life"
"Going out now like a clown....."

"Walk out Into the Streets, Sing Your Heart Out"
"Cuz Now You're Really ????"
"Then your down to ????"
"There's nothing you hide"

melody I've been waiting for
???? (sounds like obvious)

2md pre chorus
"and you will perform this song"
"the songs are in our life"
"Going out now like a clown....."

2nd chorus
"This love will not be beat
"Then your down to ????"

"melody, I've been waiting for"

Bridge

"Don't say, you'll see us later"
"Don't say, you'll see us later"
"Oh dear I could speak so good to you"
"Ooohhh=ooh"
"Oh no here we are again, oh-ooo-oh"

then he starts scatting and shit over the outro, I'm not even gonna attempt.

Awesome job! Im gonna listen to the song a few more times and see what I can hear in comparison to your version :D .

Okay, here's my version of the lyrics. I was very careful to speculate as little as possible -- I only wrote the words I was at least 90% sure of. If I couldn't hear what he was saying, I simply left it with dots.

(Verse 1)
(0:03)Fifteenth of June...............
(0:10)but you think I need you there.
...........(0:17)a couple of.....
(0:22)So why would I invite a stranger into my home - would you?
(0:27)And it will be (easy?) as you want it to be,
(0:32)Listen to me,
.................(0:36)Ooooh, al-riiight.

(Pre-Chorus)
...................(0:42)for a sound,
(0:45)the (sounds/songs) are in our eyes,
(0:47)gonna wear them like a (crown/gown), ooooh

(Chorus)
(0:52)Walk out, into the street,
(0:58)Sing your heart out,
(1:04)Neither down, nor out
(1:07)There's nothing you have
(1:10)That I neeeeeeeeeeeed -- I can breathe
(1:17)Breeeeeaaathe, oh yeah

(Verse 2)
(1:23)Sixteenth of June...........
..................(1:27)comin' down....
...............(1:46)playin' a symphony

(Pre-Chorus)
...................(1:50)for a sound,
(1:52)the (sounds/songs) are in our eyes
(1:55)gonna wear them like a (crown/gown), ooooh

(Chorus)
(2:01)Walk out, into the street
(2:05)Sing your heart out,
(2:11)I'm neither down, nor out
(2:15)There's nothing you have,
(2:18)that I neeeeeeed --(2:21)I can breathe,
(2:25)Breeeeeaaaaaathe - yeaaah, yeaaah

-Guitar Solo-

(The structure of the song somewhat changes for this section, and the lyrics are nearly impossible to understand)
(3:01)Ooooooooooooooooh,
(3:08)Oooh, ............, Whoaoo-ohhhh

(Chorus, but Bono sings on top of the chorus - in fact, this may not be the chorus at all, it may just be using the backing part of the chorus)
......(3:35)Lemme' breaaaathe,
(3:38)Pleeeeeeease, let me breeeaathe

(Outro, none of which I understand)

Last edited:
Great effort U2DMfan :up:

"He/You knew that it would be cars and wine"
"you speak into the ....."
"don't ya see........ooo-ooooh, alright"

I hear "dont ya see the truth, it will be alright" at the end there.

"Cuz Now You're Really ????"
"Then your down to ????"

Maybe "Cos now you're ready to see" and "There is nothing you hide that I need, I can breathe"???

okay ill play. this is what i hear:

21 seconds: so why would i invite a stranger into my home? it's you?

45 seconds: the stars are in her eyes

chorus 1:

walk out into the street
sing your heart out
your troubles are the key
neither down nor out
you've locked me in your house
can I breathe? I can breathe

1:23 sixteenth of june ......

1:53 the stars are in her eyes

chorus x2

walk out into the street
sing your heart out
your struggles are the key
neither down nor out
you've kept it in your house
breathe, i can breathe
yes, yes

neither down nor out

Damn, that's a nice spot. That has to be what he's saying there.

*edit* Im trying to perfect my version of the lyrics, so I think Im gonna add that line if you don't mind -- it is so clear after reading it lol.

Back
Top Bottom