4th single off NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Is the band not releasing any new singles, wanting to focus on SOA instead, or are they waiting to release something from NLOTH for the new 2010 leg ?

Good question!

I think if the album had sold better and if the prior singles had been bigger hits, we might have seen a fourth single around Christmas.

I'm now thinking that if there is a fourth single, it will be at the relaunch of the tour. Perfect time to remind people about U2. U2 have used most of the radio-friendly songs. SUC may be a good song, as would "Breathe". In fact, given they opened many concerts with "Breathe" and they haven't performed SUC once, my guess is that would be a fourth single. That said, I could see U2 option for "Moment of Surrender" as many fans, so-so fans and those in the industry think it's one of U2's best songs ever. Would radio play it? Eh - they haven't played most of the other tracks, so does it matter that much?

I know U2.com featured that special holder designed to carry the four 45 rpm singles from NLOTH. To date, there have been three. One would think U2 would release the fourth single at some point, but maybe U2 will shift to the new album. The next few months should be interesting.

I'd love to read what more "in the know" have to say.

It would be another fail for U2.com in that case, as they have given away these super special NLOTH sleeves that hold FOUR singles.

If they release MOS, it would be eligible for next year's Grammys in Song of the Year and Record of the Year, no?

That shit needs to get recognized.

If SOA is "delayed" or abandoned then I think a 4th NLOTH single comes with the tour relaunch, as Doctorwho said. I'm skeptical that U2 would try out unreleased songs especially if they are no longer pursuing SOA at the time of the tour's start. I think they'd have to play more tracks off NLOTH. With that in mind, my guess for the 4th single would be SUC. Though to be fair, I don't know if there has ever been an album single that didn't debut until the 3rd leg.

I am surprised that Moment of Surrender was not released officially. I have heard it occasionally on the radio (and even in a grocery store that plays current radio songs). I believe that a NLOTH single will be released at the start of the tour if SOA in not released by then. It seems U2 has always toured in support of an album with current songs on the radio. To not release any new material or single by the time the tour starts makes you wonder if the 360 tour will turn into a greatest hits tour. :ohmy: This is a very interesting topic...

Last edited:
The Crazy Tonight 7-inch had a gatefold cover, so the box is pretty full with just three singles.:wink:

Yeah mine won't even close with even just the 3 in it now, but I have no problem cramming a 4th one in there if they release MOS. :up: I think they ought to, definitely. And I hadn't even thought about the fact that it could be Grammy eligible... maybe a possible reason for them to have decided to delay the release? :hmm:

I suspect they have missed the window for a 4th single at this point.

I don't. If they don't have new material ready for June, I suspect they'll release a 4th single to say "Yo, we still have this tour kinda going on."

And the 2nd and 3rd single were already released quite late, so yeah, if you can have your third single half a year after your first, then why not have a fourth a year after?

Actually, this all makes sense. Release MOS (which has gotten decent radio play even without being officially released) as the fourth single and include a new song or two as b-sides (or live cuts from the Cali gig). I'd put my money on something like that over a new album this summer.

If they had released MOS earlier, it would have disappeared by now...but it'll have a better chance if they tour when it hits radio, not to mention the future Grammy possibility.

Actually, this all makes sense. Release MOS (which has gotten decent radio play even without being officially released) as the fourth single and include a new song or two as b-sides (or live cuts from the Cali gig). I'd put my money on something like that over a new album this summer.

If they had released MOS earlier, it would have disappeared by now...but it'll have a better chance if they tour when it hits radio, not to mention the future Grammy possibility.

yep. i agree too. imagine packaging MOS in an EP with 3 NLOTH outtakes that they don't plan on using for the next album. :drool:

yep. i agree too. imagine packaging MOS in an EP with 3 NLOTH outtakes that they don't plan on using for the next album. :drool:

Yeah, this way they stay tied into NLOTH and still give us something new to drool over. Could even make it only for sale at the shows. Plus, I don't really think they'll play new songs live without releasing them in a studio version.

It would be better than nothing but I still think they can have the album out by June if they go for it. Or if Bono can persuade the other three.

Hmm. I don't actually expect this, but it wouldn't be a bad idea!

weird that Bono can persuade politicians but he can't persuade his own bandmates. :lol:

Sometimes I wonder why they (the rest of U2) don't seem to listen to him. Then again I think about the dynamics of the band and can't help but wonder if they override his opinions because he isn't always there to make his point.
I seem to remember him stating somewhere that MOS would be a good single if done right. But it never happened. I didn't expect Fez to be realeased as a big hit or MOS, but damn they should be.
I guess I love this album/band too much :up:

Sometimes I wonder why they (the rest of U2) don't seem to listen to him. Then again I think about the dynamics of the band and can't help but wonder if they override his opinions because he isn't always there to make his point.
I seem to remember him stating somewhere that MOS would be a good single if done right. But it never happened. I didn't expect Fez to be realeased as a big hit or MOS, but damn they should be.
I guess I love this album/band too much :up:

agreed. it does seem like Bono is the biggest advocate for taking risks. if it were up to Bono, we may have already had two albums after NLOTH. LOL!

I heard MoS at a lesson at school today, first time I had heard the song on the radio. A friend of mine was shocked when Bono started singing. He went "HOLY SHIT, can he still sing this good, isn't he like 50?". :lol:

Yup, they need to release this as a single.

Back
Top Bottom