4th Single from NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At first I thought it should have been NLOTH, then I wavered for months, and now I'm back to being in favour of it. I'm convinced this would do very, very well as a single.

:up:

my non-U2 fan friends say that this is the song that jumped out at them the most and seemed the most "youthful".

It started out that way for me, too. Since then it's grown on me, but face it, it's still a sort of bloated, Anthemic Rock Song as opposed to NLOTH, which is just an all around amazing song.

exactly. it's not that Breathe is a bad song, there's just nothing new about it to me. NLOTH sounds like The Edge and Eno having sex, which is just one of the worst things to visualize.

Dude, Breathe is amazing and if that song doesn't take off as a single, the rock music world doesn't deserve to be saved, after shunning Magnificent, this is their last chance. NLOTH should have been the first single, but as a 4th one? I dunno.

NLOTH would be great as a first single. Then Magnificent, Crazy and Breathe as the last single.

Next to Crazy and Magnificent, Breathe has the most "single" potential. It rocks, a fresh delivery from Bono and an interesting beat for U2 - and an accessible chorus for the radio.

Other alternatives are probably a heavy edited Uknown Caller (plus U2 already did the "updated classic U2" with Magnificent already) or Stand up Comedy.

Don't know if it means anything, but i heard Moment of Surrender in Publix grocery store tonight. A couple of months ago they were playing Crazy Tonight.

My 3 yr old actually noticed before I did, and said "they are playing our song". I was very proud.

which is unfortunate. Breathe is one of my least favorite songs on NLOTH.

WHich is why it will do well. You and I usually have fairly similar opinions when it comes to U2, and honestly, who would have picked Magnificent to flop???

My radar has definately been off with U2 commercial on this album cycle, so that leads me to think Breathe will be huge because I dont think it will be.

Does that make sense?

WHich is why it will do well. You and I usually have fairly similar opinions when it comes to U2, and honestly, who would have picked Magnificent to flop???

My radar has definately been off with U2 commercial on this album cycle, so that leads me to think Breathe will be huge because I dont think it will be.

Does that make sense?

absolutely! :D

exactly. it's not that Breathe is a bad song, there's just nothing new about it to me. NLOTH sounds like The Edge and Eno having sex, which is just one of the worst things to visualize.

How could you visualise such distasteful scenes. :tsk:

Dude, Breathe is amazing and if that song doesn't take off as a single, the rock music world doesn't deserve to be saved, after shunning Magnificent, this is their last chance. NLOTH should have been the first single, but as a 4th one? I dunno.

Definitely not their last chance--Crazy Tonight is starting to make some moves and has already more or less outperformed Magnificent (see: Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills forum).

"Boots"...........Strike 1
"Magnificent"..Strike 2
"Crazy tonight".Strike 3..your out.

You know the old saying,you never have a second chance to make a first good impression.They blow it the first single.It's impossible to boost an album sale with a 4th single.

Definitely not their last chance--Crazy Tonight is starting to make some moves and has already more or less outperformed Magnificent (see: Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills forum).

I didn't say it was THEIR last chance as in U2, I meant as in the last chance for me to have any hope for the pop charts. CT is getting bigger than the earlier singles, but its still doubtful to be huge. It is getting more copies of NLOTH sold, so those who think later singles can't help are being proved wrong. Thing is Breathe would be a killer end of summer radio track, but I'm pretty sure with this ridiculously paced releasing of singles CT isn't even official until like September.

the more i think about it, they just about have to release Breathe. Its the most powerful song they have rocking wise on the album that could still have a commercial impact, whatever that means. Stand up Comedy, no chance, they aren't playing that one on tour so no way thats released. MOS, as much as i am warming up to that song, its way too long for the intended purpose and any radio edit would not be worth it. UC is another favorite of mine, but its probably a bit too "out there" as a single.

They released If God Will Send His Angels after they stopped playing it on the Popmart Tour...
As I recall that may have been in conjunction with the release of the City of Angels soundtrack.

However, U2 hasn't had a big hit yet from NLOTH (GOYB was a modest one and Magnificent didn't chart at all in the USA).

Well, Magnificent did chart, reaching #79 on the Billboard 100. Yes, technically, it charted almost entirely on downloads from when the album was first released (people hearing that it was the album's best song and liking the iTunes preview), but it still charted. The second (and so-on) singles from HTDAAB certainly didn't fare better with only "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" charting at all - a lowly #97.

"Boots"...........Strike 1
"Magnificent"..Strike 2
"Crazy tonight".Strike 3..your out.

You know the old saying,you never have a second chance to make a first good impression.They blow it the first single.It's impossible to boost an album sale with a 4th single.
what a load of nonsense
when a song catches on it catches on
be it the first or fifth single from an album

it does seem improbable that they wouldn't have realised by now which of the other songs would be likely to become a huge single, but still

I'm not sure if anyone above has suggested this guess of mine, if so, apologies for repeating your idea.

But with "Stand Up" To Poverty week occurring as a MASSIVE MASSIVE worldwide campaign, scheduled for October 2009, what are the odds....

On "Stand Up Comedy" being released as the fourth single in October???

I'd say this could be close to the mark...

They are not playing Stand up Comedy live for unknown reason. I'm 100% sure that song will NOT be a single. As much as I'd like it to be, it will not be the 4th and final single off NLOTH.

They are not playing Stand up Comedy live for unknown reason. I'm 100% sure that song will NOT be a single. As much as I'd like it to be, it will not be the 4th and final single off NLOTH.

of course SUC could replace GOYB when the tour resumes in North America...who knows this song might totally kill live. The more i think about it....perhaps the potential SNL performance looming...who knows?

Back
Top Bottom