4 Big U2 Fans I've Spoken To

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batfink27

Acrobat
Each of them have played the album about 10 times and each of them have said they "dont know what to make of it","boots is a terrible song","theres no classics on the album" and in general "the album is fairly poor" and they were "dissapointed". How can the opinions im hearing from friends differ so much from in here?.

I have a friend who is a big U2 fan but hes not the type to go on interference... anyway he loves the album and thinks it kicks the shit outta VLV (and he likes Coldplay).

I think the album is more for the fans of U2 than general public. I feel sorry for the band if the album does not be a hit like they expect it to.

i worry that when the dust settles and the euphoria is over,people will see the album as poor.

I know casual people who like the album. I've read fan reviews who said they are big U2 fans but don't know what to make of the album because it "doesn't sound like U2". I have got used to fans who are fans of classic U2 hits they hear on the radio and not so much of their more innovative work. I don't care, but I think they are missing out.

the worrying the is ive not spoken to ANY of my friends who like boots,they all say its really awful.

similar situation here: a good friend that always liked U2 doesnt like the album at all. I dont understand him... I guess NLOTH is not radio-friendly at all for the non-U2 or average U2 fan (except Magnificent & Crazy Tonight) :hmm: Anyway I dont give a shit... I am enjoying it a lot :love:

...on another music artist forum I visit most loathe the 93-09 U2 and want them to rerecord NYD, SBS, Pride and IWF every year. :doh:

That and they seem to indulge in too many grapes of the sour variety at times...

I respect everyone's opinion but I cannot believe that if you like U2 this album is disappointing to you. What would please you then?

Personally, I know some people who say: What, THIS is U2? Oh no, what has become of them? Why can't they play music like in the 80s?

Most casual fans don't know much about the band history and like mostly what they hear on the radio, the hit singles they can sing along to.

I don't care what other people think. I like it and that's all that matters.

Personally i like the album, i wouldnt care if my friends did or didnt, but in all honesty i certainly wouldnt see the point in coming to a website, and making a post just to say my friends dont like the album :|

Personally, I know some people who say: What, THIS is U2? Oh no, what has become of them? Why can't they play music like in the 80s?

Most casual fans don't know much about the band history and like mostly what they hear on the radio, the hit singles they can sing along to.

THAT is the problem. Gimme a tour without any hitsingles like pride, sunday, nyd etcetc.

There are various types of U2 fans. It depends on when they first "liked" something from U2 and how interested they were in the back catalog, and if they eventually started looking forward to new stuff.

I assume that most people who call themselves fans picked up UF, JT, got thrown off by AB, and stopped before Zooropa. These are the ones who "like U2's older stuff," and probably like the last two.

I bet there's a discussion about this somewhere on interference, but I don't leave WTAHAN very often. :huh:

I feel the same way but there is a little voice in me that is shouting: you don't like it:huh:? Are you tonedeaf or do you simply has no taste:ohmy:. Although It escapes ocasionally I try to keep it inside:wink:.

I wish I could feel 100% like this...but I just can't, simply because I care about the band too much, so I want to see them be as successful as possible, especially when they make a great album...so yes, obviously it's about whether I like it or not, that comes first. But there's also a part of me that can get really frustrated when people don't like the album or when U2 doesn't succeed commercially. I know it's weird, but I can't help it :shrug:

I find that most casual fans ALWAYS says "well, I like the Joshua Tree but I don't like their new stuff". Umm.. new as in after 22 years ago!??!? Yikes. People seem to have the need for bands to stay the same and be easily labeled. If they branch out and change style it bothers them, no matter how great the new stuff is.

There seems to be a culture of music fans who describe themselves as "huge U2 fans" without realizing what being a "huge U2 fan" actually means. More to the point, U2 has had so many hit singles, that even a casual fan of pop music could have in upwards of 15 U2 songs on their iPod. That being the case, they may reason that they are indeed big-time fans of the group. The reality is they are the type of people who wouldn't get into a dense album like NLOTH. Unfortunately, that won't stop said fans from going on message boards and comment sections to post things like, "I'm a huge U2 fan, but this album sucks." This can lead to misconceptions flying around the interwebs.

Back
Top Bottom