33 million people, according to Apple and Rolling Stone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They will want their money back if you are alive at 33 - never mind at 53 ;)

I am quite enjoying all the U2 love and hate again means the band is back in business.

If nothing else they are certainly getting attention and in entertainment any attention is good attention.

I'm loving it. They are IN it for the attention. Good or bad, they are on people's minds and that is going to work in their favor. It's ZooTV and PopMart brought to life. In U2 At The End of The World they talked (jokingly) about someday having the technology to finish an album, walk across the room, and upload it. And now? They've basically DONE it. And are the first to do it in such a large scale way. Well done, lads.

Holy Crap

if they can get this figure to over 100 million then they should shout it from the roof tops,release it to every media outlet with a letter saying "screw you"

I wanna see all these reporters that have already written articles saying "its a flop" eat their words!

I want to see reactions from Sharon Osbourne and all these other haters when the tour sells out worldwide and the physical cd sells like crazy. FB is suggesting U2 fans all buy the standard release just to piss her off and bump up sales. Especially if it's discounted at places like Walmart or Target for 9.99 or so. I'm planning on buying both the standard and deluxe editions for our collection anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Lady Gaga has an album out on tuesday?

Its 77 million listens via dowloads or streaming i persume.

It is interesting how this will pan out.some press reports would have you think its flopped after the first week which is a joke. Its a long process and we wont see if this is a success or not until the tour comes round.

100 million downloads and listens
1 million record sales(coldplay have are the top selling album this year with 2.5million)
Sold out tour

That would be the 3 things that would make this apple thing a massive success

Isn't the frozen soundtrack the top selling album this year? Like 3m in the US alone and 8m worldwide?

Isn't the frozen soundtrack the top selling album this year? Like 3m in the US alone and 8m worldwide?

Yeah it is but its a soundtrack isnt it so i wouldnt class that as an album as such. Coldplay are the top selling artist.

In a new interview, Lady Gaga - who has an album coming out on Tuesday - was asked: "U2 released its new album alongside Apple, and Jay Z and Beyonce also released recent albums in unconventional ways. What do you think about that and do you think of innovative ways to release music when readying a project?"

Her response was, "I think honestly what we need to be doing, and this is my opinion, is instead of trying to find ways to trick the world into focusing on the album for a brief moment, I think that artists need to speak more about how media treats the artists and making the distinction between the celebrity and the artist, because everything is all in one pool now isn't it?"

I don't find Gaga's response offensive, but it is naive, which is odd given her success. I get what she's saying regarding "tricks" and people, like the Kardashians and Paris Hilton, being celebrities for no apparent reason. HOWEVER, if she really thinks the media will suddenly be more kind (as she alludes to later in her interview) or more supportive of actors and musicians, then she isn't in touch with reality. Oddly, she even goes on to admit that the media likes to build up, then tear down. With that in mind, unless her new album produces a few really catchy tunes, as she's done in the past, it will not make much noise beyond after its release. That may not be fair, but that's the world we live in now.

SOI apparently now has 77M downloads? While all free, how many would U2 have with a normal release? How many will then go buy the CD or request the songs on the radio? How many will then want to buy U2's next album or see them on tour?

I think this is an interesting experiment and I'm curious to see how it plays out.

Haha! I don't find her comment offensive but I find it massively hypocritical coming from her. She is the epitome of putting celebrity above art. She says people shouldn't focus on "tricks" to get people to talk about the album yet she's the epitome of being "Look at me and how wacky I am". She is the poster child for putting tricks above the art. She's really the last person to be talking about unfairness in the industry. She's a glaring problem with the industry. More famous for her antics and eccentric image than her actual music.

Apple will let us know. U2 will let us know. Can those figures be independently verified accurately? I wouldn't hold my breath. Let's face it, they'll trot out a big number coz it'll sound good. Tracks that were accidentally played by confused iTunes customers and then immediate switched off when they realized something unwanted had been shoved into their library, won't be omitted at all :cute: but that doesn't matter one iota. This was all a nice gimmick to inject some much needed life into two waning products (iTunes and U2) and it seems to have worked. Kudos to them both.

Not comparable. Views on YouTube aren't the same as the same user viewing ten times counts ten times. Apple is counting unique users.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Okay....so if 10 M can watch a rip off of Tom Petty, then I can bet 33 M would go check out a free U2 album.

Apple will let us know. U2 will let us know. Can those figures be independently verified accurately?
The correct question is "Is there a sad enough individual available who would want to independently verify the accuracy of those figures?"

Monday is going to be another u2 media day isnt it?with the news of the total figure from apple!??

Calling it now. U2gate. Media buzzwords.

Time to forget about ISIS, NSA, Benghazi, etc. It's all about U2Watergate. I'm shocked this isn't a major topic heading into the mid term elections. That's usually the kinda stuff our politicians are debating about this time, how disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom