2014 Bono needs to consult 1983 Bono about the new album. - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozeeko View Post
Well, the key word is "abusing" his place in the mainstream. Wanting to be big on your own terms, to me, is different than over-thinking the ways in which one can remain relevant. It's a mind-set.
To be fair, we are judging U2's upcoming album based on two obviously "safe" singles. A soundtrack song for Mandella and a charity single meant to raise millions is hardly a time for U2 to be highly experimental. By U2 sounding like U2 (especially circa 2000), they succeeded in creating the appropriate music.

However, U2 have never really blended in with the mainstream. Even Edge's daughter said that HTDAAB sounded nothing like what was out there. She meant it as a warning, but that was clearly a good thing for U2. Therefore, I don't think U2 will suddenly blend in with current music.

While NLOTH didn't really take off, I doubt U2 will create a JT2 or ATYCLB2. If they do, then I'll join you in this argument. But with songs like "Breathe", MOS and "White As Snow" on their last album, I'm willing to give U2 the benefit of the doubt on this whole "relevance" discussion. At this point, it sounds more like a well rehearsed soundbyte than anything meaningful.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 05:27 AM
Change that to 2015 Bono needs to consult 1983 Bono.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie

One thing I'm sure: if 1983 Bono knew that 2014 Bono was saying the most idiotic unashamed ass-licking clichés about Ireland's bailout and respective consequences - when he (almost) didn't open his mouth about it over the past 4 years - in the Convention of the European People's Party in the present context/situation (Merkel, Sarkozy, Berlusconni, Rajoy, Orbán, Passos Coelho... all of them, very nice guys, indeed) [not to mention the meetings/dinners/meals/teas with Christine Lagarde, W Bush, the Davos ragtags, the displacement of the tax residence to the Netherlands, etc, etc, etc]; and that he takes 5 years to write non-memorable albums full of hype, self-revival soundscapes, too much awkward lyrics... I guess he'd think that it was a joke and would laugh about it.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:57 AM   #79
Refugee

this wallpaper music is finished
Old 03-09-2014, 01:42 AM   #80
Refugee

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
The Bono of 2014 should go back and listen to the Bono of 1983 for a minute.

BONO INTERVIEW at US FESTIVAL 1983 U2 - YouTube

Particularly the last minute or so from the above listed video. Just a thought. If they did, they wouldn't be second guessing themselves and that then causing all of the album delays.
Well posted!

I actually don't mind the album delay because U2's output these last few years, including that awful Spider-Man musical music, pointed in the wrong direction. With a proper change, maybe we have a chance at another "Achtung Baby", instead of another "How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb". This delay is nothing but good news -- unless the music ends up being even worse.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:44 AM   #81
Refugee

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
One thing I'm sure: if 1983 Bono knew that 2014 Bono was saying the most idiotic unashamed ass-licking clichés about Ireland's bailout and respective consequences - when he (almost) didn't open his mouth about it over the past 4 years - in the Convention of the European People's Party in the present context/situation (Merkel, Sarkozy, Berlusconni, Rajoy, Orbán, Passos Coelho... all of them, very nice guys, indeed) [not to mention the meetings/dinners/meals/teas with Christine Lagarde, W Bush, the Davos ragtags, the displacement of the tax residence to the Netherlands, etc, etc, etc]; and that he takes 5 years to write non-memorable albums full of hype, self-revival soundscapes, too much awkward lyrics... I guess he'd think that it was a joke and would laugh about it.
Nicely said. It's true. Bono is on the side of the Wall Street and European Union bankers that have raped Ireland by making the debt irresponsible banking created now the public's to pay off. Sickening!
Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 AM   #82
Refugee

What direction can they really go in? that's gonna have the effect (???) of AB. They said their new music was gonna sound like their influences. Well, we expect that. lol. DON'T sound like them. Listen, this bands going go country/Nashville at some point. Its the last refuge of a rock band that has no idea what to do or where to go. I mean if they NEVER seriously considered it even once I would be shocked. The next step up would be a pure hard rock sound with no effects and based in he blues rock classic rock style or the bands of 60s.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:51 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
Nicely said. It's true. Bono is on the side of the Wall Street and European Union bankers that have raped Ireland by making the debt irresponsible banking created now the public's to pay off. Sickening!
I don't remember, over these past 4 years, listening or reading a word from Bono's mouth about the irish bailout, about what really led to it, about its consequences (including mass emigration again) - well, he couldn't, because he was still "burnt" for many irish didn't forgive the fact that the multinational U2 displaced its taxes to Holland, so he was better staying silent.
And now, the proudly and unashamedly talks about it, in a Convention of part of the assholes who are responsible for all the chaos in Europe (and consequently in Ireland), almost "sending kisses" whether to the EPP leaders, whether to Enda Kenny... And what he has to say is empty clumsy clichés like "the irish people bailed the irish people out"(!), something that could've perfectly been said by Jean-Claude Juncker, Durão Barroso, Angela Merkel, Passos Coelho or Mario Draghi.
If it was possible, I'd bet that 1983's Bono would have an heart attack if he knew this (and much more).
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
Actually Pop, like most U2 records, was very well reviewed by the critics. And it sold quite well in comparison to Bomb worldwide.

I'm going to even respond to bringing up the Grammy's as proof of quality.

Pop as a "critical failure", like R&H bombing, is a nice little piece of revisionist U2 history. If you mean to say that Pop was not as well received by fans, and didn't do as well commercially as most of the records that came before it...well that I agree with.

I also agree that U2 has been trying to make "radio hits". As they've been doing since before Boy.

Sent via owl
Both ATYCLB and Bomb outsold Pop.

And not so much the critics...the fans hated Pop (Zooropa somehow gets under the glory cloak of Zoo TV years though it also lacked a good single and sold about the same as Pop).
Rattle and Hum, the movie buried them and critics brought out the knives. Both times failing in contrast to NLOTH where it seems fans and the general audience didn't care.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
U2 has never stated the opposite, in fact Bono talked about abusing his place in the mainstream. U2 has always strived for relevance, they may have not been so blunt as to say it, but don't fool yourself, U2 has never pulled a Pearl Jam and made deliberate moves to step back from the mainstream.
Pearl Jam that crawled back to Ticketmaster to play more venues ? Pearl Jam that got in bed with Target to sell Backspacer ? Pearl Jam that wrote one of the more obvious radio aimed ballads with Sirens last year ?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post
Pearl Jam that crawled back to Ticketmaster to play more venues ? Pearl Jam that got in bed with Target to sell Backspacer ? Pearl Jam that wrote one of the more obvious radio aimed ballads with Sirens last year ?
What's your point?

Sent from my Note 3 using my S-pen.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #87
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2girl View Post

No, the PJ that stopped doing videos for awhile and the PJ who shelved certain songs because they felt they were too palatable.