2014 Bono needs to consult 1983 Bono about the new album. - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #61
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,014
Local Time: 02:55 AM
This thread is so bad that it makes POP look good in comparison
__________________

__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #62
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 12:55 AM
they would play 2 vertigos, and a epic 25 min version of one, with 20 mins of talking and build up including how u2 invented recycling .
__________________

__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #63
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 12:55 AM
And a live check in with a guy working in a toll booth . And dedicated my blue room to him.
__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #64
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,239
Local Time: 12:55 AM
*your
__________________
allbecauseofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
doctorwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: My TARDIS - currently located in San Leandro, CA
Posts: 6,336
Local Time: 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
Be careful, you'll be in the "dissidents black list" after having posted this.
(Or... There'll be coming hundreds of "credible" explanations for Bono's perspectives' changes in 30 years).

But people's perspectives do change.

I actually thought U2 might disband after 360. I'm happy they have not, but I can also understand the need to not rush something in 3-4 months any more.

Is 5 years too long? Yes, but a few of those years are removed due to touring, Bono's surgery and recovery, and other demands of life. If you reduce it to 3 years, it still is too long, but I'm not sure what's in U2's head. I hear OL and Invisible and don't see huge changes from what they produced during ATYCLB. Therefore, I'm not really sure where U2 are going yet. Maybe it will be worthwhile, maybe not. Maybe this is truly the swan song. Right now, I will give them the benefit of the doubt - provided the album comes out this year.
__________________
http://u2.interference.com/attachments/forums/signaturepics/sigpic11661_2.gifI always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
doctorwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Aygo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Barcelona, Spain [Lisbon, Portugal]
Posts: 3,496
Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwho View Post
But people's perspectives do change.

I actually thought U2 might disband after 360. I'm happy they have not, but I can also understand the need to not rush something in 3-4 months any more.

Is 5 years too long? Yes, but a few of those years are removed due to touring, Bono's surgery and recovery, and other demands of life. If you reduce it to 3 years, it still is too long, but I'm not sure what's in U2's head. I hear OL and Invisible and don't see huge changes from what they produced during ATYCLB. Therefore, I'm not really sure where U2 are going yet. Maybe it will be worthwhile, maybe not. Maybe this is truly the swan song. Right now, I will give them the benefit of the doubt - provided the album comes out this year.
Disband? Really? What did lead you to think that? Well, they just had finished their most commercially successful tour.
My unconscious wants to give U2 that benefit of the doubt, but then my conscious comes in and reminds me of the past 15 years and I think that this really might be the "swan song", even if in my heart I'll always have some little faith.
__________________
Aygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
doctorwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: My TARDIS - currently located in San Leandro, CA
Posts: 6,336
Local Time: 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post
Disband? Really? What did lead you to think that? Well, they just had finished their most commercially successful tour.
My unconscious wants to give U2 that benefit of the doubt, but then my conscious comes in and reminds me of the past 15 years and I think that this really might be the "swan song", even if in my heart I'll always have some little faith.
It was a combination of things that made me wonder if U2 would continue - or at least continue as they had been.
  • REM disbanded.
  • Bono's surgery and other family issues for all 4 members.
  • Their age.
  • The "poor" performance of NLOTH singles.
  • The lower sales of NLOTH overall (compared to past albums).
  • Ending on a high note of the 360 tour (what can really top that?).
  • How many more directions they could really take their music.
  • Bono's discussion about the "needing" another U2 album.
  • Constant discussion about relevance.

If U2 didn't disband, I thought they might do more of what they are doing now - a charity single here, a soundtrack song there. So the fact that it appears we will have yet another album and tour is wonderful news. But at some point, it will end - and this album might indeed be it. And as this is a strong possibility, I do think U2 want to give it their absolute best. Can they still generate another hit song? Can they generate another hit album? Can they generate an album that fans and critics adore? Can they capture "lightning in a bottle" one more time?

They may be over-thinking as a result, but as I wrote, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
__________________
http://u2.interference.com/attachments/forums/signaturepics/sigpic11661_2.gifI always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
doctorwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 AM   #68
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,402
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Bono has said many contradicting things over the years...he's a human being and it happens. I don't expect him to be the same dude from 1983.

There is one thing he said in the past, however, that does kinda bug me. It was on the U2 Legends episode on VH1. Was aired during the time between POP and All That You Can't Leave Behind. About the question of packing it in, Bono said something like "it's not about sales or even relevance. It's just a question of blowing your own mind. And when you stop blowing your own mind it's time to quit" - That's paraphrasing, but the gist of what he said.

The reason that bugs me is because I feel that the "relevance" issue has completely taken over. It seems like it's the #1 priority for U2. And I don't think relevance is something you consciously aim for. They were relevant in the 1980's despite being different, not doing the obvious. Really, the only 2 classic albums (pre-ATYCLB) I feel that U2 tried for relevance was Achtung Baby and POP. But Achtung Baby worked BECAUSE it was such a 180...any compromise would've ruined it. They didn't force a Joshua Tree sounding tune on there just to appease the fanbase, they pretty much said "this is the new direction, either you're with us or you're not". And really, although Achtung Baby was clearly done with the conscious fear of not being relevant...it was executed in the best way possible, probably the only way possible, because it was uncompromising.

POP, on the other hand, had a sort of schitzo quality to it, kind of like NLOTH, where it isn't sure what it wants to be. A dance album? A rock album? Post-modern? Sincere? And even though I love POP, I also recognize that U2 is once again clearly trying to remain hip, except this time the results are less successful, because of too much compromising. It wants to be everything instead of choosing one vibe and riding it out. This is why Achtung Baby and Zooropa, for me, are stellar albums...because they're cohesive and uncompromising. The said can be said about any of their 80's albums, with the exception of maybe Rattle and Hum (which was obviously a conscious attempt to show their knowledge of American music, but we all know that anyway)

The thing is...U2 don't have many tricks up their sleeve, and bands tend to not have more than 1 second act. U2 have had like 2 or 3 it seems. They will always be relevant when it comes to music history. I don't think it's something they should strive for. If they get out of their own way, toss "relevance" aside and ride out an idea for an album, they may just land themselves something the world will consider "relevant." And when it happens, the world will be too into the music to stop and say "wow, this is so relevant." Achtung Baby was a miracle album...not many artists can pull off a stunt like that. U2 should just write and record and release and promote and see what happens, and stop talking relevance because it is rarely ever something you can consciously capture.

So, yea, 1998 Bono or whenever the Legends interview was filmed...that's the guy I wish he'd go back and talk to.
__________________
ozeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #69
War Child
 
SpiralStaircase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: England
Posts: 685
Local Time: 01:55 AM
Great post. U2 have nowt to prove to anyone outside of the four of them. They shouldn't be paying the slightest attention to what people think of them. Easier said than done, though. Can't imagine it's easy to sell tens of millions of records in the late 80s/early 90s and simply laugh off shifting "only" 5 million or less each time you do an album now, or having number one singles at one time and now not make the top 50. It has to have an effect no matter how you claim it's just about the music, maaaaaan
__________________
SpiralStaircase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #70
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 287
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozeeko View Post
Bono has said many contradicting things over the years...he's a human being and it happens. I don't expect him to be the same dude from 1983.

There is one thing he said in the past, however, that does kinda bug me. It was on the U2 Legends episode on VH1. Was aired during the time between POP and All That You Can't Leave Behind. About the question of packing it in, Bono said something like "it's not about sales or even relevance. It's just a question of blowing your own mind. And when you stop blowing your own mind it's time to quit" - That's paraphrasing, but the gist of what he said.

The reason that bugs me is because I feel that the "relevance" issue has completely taken over. It seems like it's the #1 priority for U2. And I don't think relevance is something you consciously aim for. They were relevant in the 1980's despite being different, not doing the obvious. Really, the only 2 classic albums (pre-ATYCLB) I feel that U2 tried for relevance was Achtung Baby and POP. But Achtung Baby worked BECAUSE it was such a 180...any compromise would've ruined it. They didn't force a Joshua Tree sounding tune on there just to appease the fanbase, they pretty much said "this is the new direction, either you're with us or you're not". And really, although Achtung Baby was clearly done with the conscious fear of not being relevant...it was executed in the best way possible, probably the only way possible, because it was uncompromising.

POP, on the other hand, had a sort of schitzo quality to it, kind of like NLOTH, where it isn't sure what it wants to be. A dance album? A rock album? Post-modern? Sincere? And even though I love POP, I also recognize that U2 is once again clearly trying to remain hip, except this time the results are less successful, because of too much compromising. It wants to be everything instead of choosing one vibe and riding it out. This is why Achtung Baby and Zooropa, for me, are stellar albums...because they're cohesive and uncompromising. The said can be said about any of their 80's albums, with the exception of maybe Rattle and Hum (which was obviously a conscious attempt to show their knowledge of American music, but we all know that anyway)

The thing is...U2 don't have many tricks up their sleeve, and bands tend to not have more than 1 second act. U2 have had like 2 or 3 it seems. They will always be relevant when it comes to music history. I don't think it's something they should strive for. If they get out of their own way, toss "relevance" aside and ride out an idea for an album, they may just land themselves something the world will consider "relevant." And when it happens, the world will be too into the music to stop and say "wow, this is so relevant." Achtung Baby was a miracle album...not many artists can pull off a stunt like that. U2 should just write and record and release and promote and see what happens, and stop talking relevance because it is rarely ever something you can consciously capture.

So, yea, 1998 Bono or whenever the Legends interview was filmed...that's the guy I wish he'd go back and talk to.
I definitely agree with this statement about relevance. It's a big shift in attitude. They clear talk now about how relevance is important, whereas in the 90s they said the opposite.

I'd disagree though and say they weren't really trying for relevance on AB and Pop. I think they were just legitimately excited by what was going in industrial and electronic music and wanted to incorporate that into their music. You could call that jumping on the bandwagon, but it came across to me as an honest enthusiasm. I don't think they were trying to play those types of music because they saw them as what was currently popular and "relevant". I think they did see themselves as bringing some of those musical trends into the mainstream, which was maybe arrogant, but they wanted to f* up the mainstream, not conform to it.

We can never totally know what their motives were, but that's my impression.

I hate that they worry about sales now.
__________________
drt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #71
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,353
Local Time: 07:55 PM
U2 has never stated the opposite, in fact Bono talked about abusing his place in the mainstream. U2 has always strived for relevance, they may have not been so blunt as to say it, but don't fool yourself, U2 has never pulled a Pearl Jam and made deliberate moves to step back from the mainstream.
__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #72
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,014
Local Time: 02:55 AM
It would have been a tad weird if Bono had said they were aiming for relevance when they were already acknowledged the nr, 1 band in the universe. His claims of wanting to eff up the mainstream back then aren't that different as his claims to be searching for relevance now. It's all about trying to find some purpose in what they do.
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #73
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Slowloris-ville, Western Indonesia
Posts: 705
Local Time: 12:55 AM
SWAGGER. That's what's missing now, it would seem. Everything comes down to that attitude Bono had at the 1994 Grammys about wanting to "abuse their position and fk up the mainstream". They need to get back that swagger.
__________________
The Slow Loris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: southern california
Posts: 9,922
Local Time: 05:55 PM
All Bono wants really is for pitchfork to rate the new album a 7 or higher.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app
__________________
david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #75
Refugee
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,402
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
U2 has never stated the opposite, in fact Bono talked about abusing his place in the mainstream. U2 has always strived for relevance, they may have not been so blunt as to say it, but don't fool yourself, U2 has never pulled a Pearl Jam and made deliberate moves to step back from the mainstream.
Well, the key word is "abusing" his place in the mainstream. Wanting to be big on your own terms, to me, is different than over-thinking the ways in which one can remain relevant. It's a mind-set.
__________________

__________________
ozeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com