2011: When to expect a single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm calling it now: New single gets played in Santiago, Chile on March 25th.

If this is really a strong possibility, I say that U2 should record this live performance. Then when they release the "single", they should include the live version of the song along with the studio version. And if they are really ambitious, throw in a new b-side. U2 could even use some of the "Wide Awake in Europe" material as the b-side, such as the live "Mercy" (for example).

All of this would make a great "single" on iTunes. There could be the three songs sold separately, or in a "single" form - special price for all three.

Now, that would be a great way to promote a new song. Have a special on iTunes and play the song in concert as the tour progresses.

U2 just have to ensure it's one of their best songs in order to make it a strong first single.

If this is really a strong possibility, I say that U2 should record this live performance. Then when they release the "single", they should include the live version of the song along with the studio version. And if they are really ambitious, throw in a new b-side. U2 could even use some of the "Wide Awake in Europe" material as the b-side, such as the live "Mercy" (for example).

All of this would make a great "single" on iTunes. There could be the three songs sold separately, or in a "single" form - special price for all three.

Now, that would be a great way to promote a new song. Have a special on iTunes and play the song in concert as the tour progresses.

U2 just have to ensure it's one of their best songs in order to make it a strong first single.

I completely agree with this. Digital singles are extraordinarily cheap to produce. The band was smart and threw "Vertigo" and (I think?) "Boots" on iTunes the day after they hit the radio in the U.S. The official digital single didn't arrive until later. But there's nothing stopping them from playing the new track in concert on the 25th, then putting out a 3-track iTunes / Amazon release on Monday / Tuesday that contains the studio and live versions along with something truly special as a B-Side. And not some random, unwanted remix of "Original of the Species" or something like that either. I don't think we've had a decent B-Side since "Big Girls Are Best" back in the summer of 2001.

Sell the new track Album Only (packaged as a single) for $2.99 on the 28th or 29th. Make a boatload of cash. As an added bonus, give buyers the customary $0.99 / $1.29 off the price of No Line On The Ascent Of The Atomic Bomb That You Can't Leave Behind or whatever it's called when it hits in late May. Blammo. They've paid for the song and grabbed the B-Sides for free. But only if they eventually buy the full album.

As for the single itself, I'm actually not that worried about the quality. The band is likely paranoid as hell after "Boots". Keep in mind, NLOTH didn't really have much in the way of catchy, radio-friendly material to draw from. ("Moment of Surrender" is fantastic, but on the radio? Ehh... not really a contender).

So I see there's still no info on anything?

I reckon that's enough for my monthly visit to WTAHNN then. I'll be back next month..

Nope, nada. :(

The only thing remotely new resembling anything is that it sounds like a Spiderman EP might be out soon, based on Tweets from Reeve Carney and Lillywhite.

But nothing re an actual album.

Soon? I would call that a b-side yeah?

Yeah, but it was only on vinyl, and in order to get it you had to buy that massive deluxe version of the rosebowl concert dvd, whilst the singles themselves only had god-awful remixes.
A proper b-side should at least be attached to a single imo.

Yeah, but it was only on vinyl, and in order to get it you had to buy that massive deluxe version of the rosebowl concert dvd, whilst the singles themselves only had god-awful remixes.
A proper b-side should at least be attached to a single imo.

yeah i tend to agree about what feels like a proper b-side vs. a random leftover. didn't know if the fact it was listed on the "white board" and played before most of the 360 show qualified it more than just a random leftover.

I think it's possible that they were gonna use it for songs of ascent, so it never had a chance to be a b-side. I think the reason that there were no b-sides for the NLOTH singles was because they had such faith in that material and its leftovers, and wanted to retain all of it to release as a quick follow up.
But then NLOTH kind of flopped, and they probably discarded all that material, so i think Soon was kind of left in purgatory - very much 'public', but not properly released.

It's a shame, because i think it would have been really cool to have had b-sides for all the No Line singles, all in the same vein as Soon.

I think it's possible that they were gonna use it for songs of ascent, so it never had a chance to be a b-side. I think the reason that there were no b-sides for the NLOTH singles was because they had such faith in that material and its leftovers, and wanted to retain all of it to release as a quick follow up.
But then NLOTH kind of flopped, and they probably discarded all that material, so i think Soon was kind of left in purgatory - very much 'public', but not properly released.

It's a shame, because i think it would have been really cool to have had b-sides for all the No Line singles, all in the same vein as Soon.

:up:

New single will drop mid-April with a second single hitting radio a few weeks before the album release in late May. Album will earn 3 1/2 stars on AllMusic and 3.6 on Pitchfork.

Band will try to say that it's their third masterpiece (like they said about ATYCLB, HTDAAB and NLOTH) and fans will agree that it is until they get tired of it and realize it isn't as great as the Interference hype.

New single will drop mid-April with a second single hitting radio a few weeks before the album release in late May. Album will earn 3 1/2 stars on AllMusic and 3.6 on Pitchfork.

Band will try to say that it's their third masterpiece (like they said about ATYCLB, HTDAAB and NLOTH) and fans will agree that it is until they get tired of it and realize it isn't as great as the Interference hype.

a sarcastic :up:

Confirmed? :hyper:

I'm awaiting confirmation. My source once helped a customer in Target find a few copies of Bob Marley records released on Island. :up:

B-sides are supposed to be flip sides of singles, not flip sides of $100 DVD cash grabs. :doh:

Single will be Breathe, released just before tour starts.....won't be played live though, they've dropped it from the set :wink:

Back
Top Bottom