13 (There Is A Light)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my favorite right now on the album...and I'm happy to hear I'm not the only person who gets teary listening to it. I think of my children and how eventually they will know the harshness of the world we live in. Right now I'm happy to keep them in the bubble.

The whole last verse is heartbreaking.

I know the world is done
But you don't have to be
I've got a question for the child in you before it leaves
Are you tough enough to be kind?
Do you know your heart has its own mind?
Darkness gathers around the light
Hold on
Hold on

The vocal delivery of these lines feels so genuine and convincing that it earns its sentimentality tenfold.
I love the verse you quoted, but the second verse steals it in my book.

When the wind screams and shouts
And the sea is a dragon's tail
And the ship that stole your heart away
Sets sail
When all you've left
Is leaving
And all you've got
Is grieving
And all you know
Is needing

A da da da....

There is something beautifully, heartbreakingly desperate about those words and they way they're sung

It’s not often when a song arrives at exactly the right time to put into words what you’re feeling. My father in law has recently been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and darkness is certainly gathering around the light of my wife. Hold on indeed

It’s not often when a song arrives at exactly the right time to put into words what you’re feeling. My father in law has recently been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer and darkness is certainly gathering around the light of my wife. Hold on indeed

Truly sorry mate... It's amazing how u2 songs could b a soundtrack to your life. As this Christmas is coming around I'm in a funk about my mom who has passed. This song and little things are particularly hard for me to get thru.... I hope you and your wife finds some peace and enjoy every moment you can. Hang in there

Thanks YBORCIYY, u2 has certainly been a life soundtrack for many decades now, good times and bad. Hope you find some solace in the music and comfort in knowing you’re not alone

Really love this song. I think it is superior to SFS though I also enjoyed that one in 2014.

I've always felt that Bono should use his lower register more... like over here and on book of your heart, another stunning song!

Like I said before, I think we may have got a wrong vocal mix/take because it certainly doesn't sound like 'dumb'. Done and dumb have different enunciations. I've cranked that part up loud with headphones and still hear 'done'.

But I like 'done' more anyway, since it made me think about what he possibly meant. I figured it was the world is the way it is, but we don't have to settle.

Like I said before, I think we may have got a wrong vocal mix/take because it certainly doesn't sound like 'dumb'. Done and dumb have different enunciations. I've cranked that part up loud with headphones and still hear 'done'.

But I like 'done' more anyway, since it made me think about what he possibly meant. I figured it was the world is the way it is, but we don't have to settle.

In the BBC special, he definitely says done. No question about it.

Yeah...it's "Done" in the booklet and it sounds like he sings "Done".
"Dumb" makes no sense.

Or maybe he simply changed his mind and is too embarrassed to admit he made a mistake? The world being 'dumb' is easier to understand.

So both "done" and "dumb" make sense

U2.com says dumb, the book says done. Maybe some day we'll get clarification.

Alas...

It makes perfect sense for a father to say to his teenage son "the world is dumb, but you don't have to be"

It also makes sense for a song written to his son as if he were dead to say "I know the world is done, but you don't have to be"

It changes the meaning of the verse, though, depending on which it actually is. I preferred it when I thought it said done, but to say dumb doesn't make sense is, well, dumb.

So both "done" and "dumb" make sense

U2.com says dumb, the book says done. Maybe some day we'll get clarification.

Alas...

It makes perfect sense for a father to say to his teenage son "the world is dumb, but you don't have to be"

It also makes sense for a song written to his son as if he were dead to say "I know the world is done, but you don't have to be"

It changes the meaning of the verse, though, depending on which it actually is. I preferred it when I thought it said done, but to say dumb doesn't make sense is, well, dumb.

Yeah, my insistence that it's been done in both the studio and BBC is because that's what I hear. Dumb changes things, but it absolutely makes sense. Especially if you consider it's more common in Europe to say dumb to mean speechless, so it could be a play on words.

U2.com also has "every eye looking every other way, counting down to the pentecost" for Moment of Surrender, so it has no bearing on what I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom