Woot!!! Edge designing a shoe!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Converse fetes centennial with reissues, ad campaign
By Donna Goodison
Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - Updated 24m ago

In celebration of its 100th year, Converse Inc. opened its archives to reissue some of its classic sneakers while giving modern twists to some of its iconic styles.

Now owned by Nike Inc., North Andover-based Converse was founded by Marquis Mills Converse as the Converse Rubber Shoe Co. in Malden in 1908. It’s marking its centennial by using its new Century footwear collection, advertising and Web site to tell the stories of those who have elevated the status of the brand over the years.

Converse will break a new global advertising campaign celebrating its Chuck Taylor All Star sneakers and their connection to pop-culture icons in the worlds of sports, music, fashion and art since their introduction in 1917. The “Connectivity” campaign will launch in 75 countries this month and hit the United States later this year.

Among Converse’s new Century offerings are Black Fives sneakers that pay homage to the first professional African-American basketball teams that played in the United States in the first decades of the 20th century. One pair is a replica of the 1933 Converse All Stars worn by the players. The Black Fives Pro Leather 1976 and Black Fives All Star Revolution, meanwhile, are Converse styles re-imagined with a nod to the players.

Another Converse style that’s being reissued is the original Pro Leather 1976 high-top worn by former Philadelphia 76er Julius “Dr. J” Erving in the days when short basketball shorts and tall socks ruled.

“Over the past 30 years, it kind of evolved to more of a bulked up, beefed up shoe,” said Molly Carter, director of sports communications for Converse. “It’s being reissued in its original form both technically and aesthetically.”

Converse also is bringing back the Weapon and Pro Team high-top basketball sneakers introduced in the 1980s, the Turf Pro and Tennis All Star shoes, and the lesser-known Scout (as in Boy Scouts) sneakers.

As part of its collaboration with (Red), an organization founded by U2’s Bono and philanthropist Bobby Shriver to raise awareness and money for the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa, Converse is releasing a limited edition 1Hund(Red) Artists collection. Converse commissioned 100 artists to create their own sneaker designs. Contributors range from 28-year-old Boston artist Kenji Nakayama to U2’s The Edge to Billy Armstrong, lead singer and guitarist for Green Day.

“It’s really inspirational to see how these artists have used the Chuck Taylor canvas to express something,” said Geoff Cottrill, Converse’s chief marketing officer.

YES YES YES!!!!!

I was |----|THIS close to buying some (red) converses online last week, it's a GOOD thing I don't have a creditcard and had to borrow one.... now I can get these :hyper: I wonder what they'll look like!

:ohmy: I need them!!! cause I'm tall, I'm used to wear sneakers... but I don't have any Converse yet...:hmm:

Wow, awesome news!! I hope Edge's Converse kicks major but!

He could totally do one with the colours of the Irish flag! That would be one cool Converse All Star. I would buy it! :cool:

Lila64 said:
:cool:

\Sidenote - I believe Target is now carrying some Converse product. Got an email from Target

Yep, they have shoes, clothes, and accessories. I want the
yellow dotted one stars, but I'll hold out until I see what Edge's
design looks like.

Edge + Chucks = :drool:

Remember Edge's lunchbox? I think his sneaker design will offer a new meaning to kick ass!

I'll have to buy these just to put on a shelf or something. You can't get any cooler than the Edge designing Converse.

I may get a pair to wear, too. :wink:

Introducing. . .

It looks like the 1 HUND(RED) limited edition Converse are
going to be released 4 designs/designers at a time, and they
are not being released in numerical order. Numbers 1 - Michael
White, 3 - Camilla Engman, 42 - Tim Liles, and 72 - Meghan Berckes
are out now. It looks like each design is a different price,
so there's no telling how much Edge's design will be.

You can register at the Converse site, and they'll send you an
email when new designs are released. You'll also be entered
in a contest to when special edition 100 year anniversary gear.

http://www.converse.com/index.aspx?bhcp=1#productdetail

Lila64 said:
:cool:

\Sidenote - I believe Target is now carrying some Converse product. Got an email from Target

I did see the Converse shoes at target, but at least here at the local stores, there aren't any from the (red) product line. Let's hope they add them on.

As far as Bono designing some, I guess they'd have really thick platform rubber soles. I guess they'd be illegal to use during a basketball game.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom