U2's The Edge presents Peter Gabriel with human rights award

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahha Edge looks SO uncomfortable there.

:edge:: Okay, you can stop hugging me now. :yikes:

might be cause he only likes Bono hugging him?
grumpysexywink.gif

Anmesty International announced that they will be organising gigs all over the world, to take place between September 10 and Human Rights Day on December 10.

The line-up for the gigs, billed as the Small Places Tour, has not been announced yet.

anyone know where to go and look for more info on where and when amnesty international would be announcing their tour dates. :D

OK - random U2 / Peter Gabriel comment here.

The first time I saw U2 in concert was during the Amnesty International Conspiracy of Hope tour at the Forum in Los Angeles. I was soooooo excited to see U2, one of my favorite bands. I was 17. I was excited to see Sting, Brian Adams and some others, but didn't really know much about Peter Gabriel. Madonna and Sean Penn came out at one point and got booed. U2 came on and I was so disappointed. I didn't "get it". Bono comes out wearing boots and some fringy suede jacket thing and they sing a couple of their songs and then some song by Bob Dylan that I don't even know and a bunch of others. Where'd the u2 music go? I will Follow? Gloria? 40? I didn't realize I was getting introduced to Bono's flair for importing snippets of others' songs into their live sets. In any case, it was a huge let down for me and I was so bummed.

Then came Peter Gabriel. I didn't really know anything about him. He comes out (suprisingly goodlooking by the way) and sings Red Rain, Sledgehammer, Shock the Monkey and closes with Biko. At the time I didn't know that song and I'd never seen anyone control an audience the way he did with the closing of that song. I'd heard "40" live before and U2 do the same thing. But I'd never SEEN it. Everyone is singing along with Peter Gabriel to Biko and piece by piece the band stops playing until it's only the crowd left, still singing. I was so impressed and blown away.

I think I was so disappointed by U2 because my expectations were so high and what I saw was not what I expected. Then Peter Gabriel comes out, and I had no expectations at all, and he totally blew me away. I've been a fan ever since.

I should also add that my second u2 in concert experience was Joshua Tree at the LA Colisseum. My seat was so far away, I missed the opening act, my boyfriend and I had had a huge fight that day and I didn't even know if we were going or not. So that show too was a bust. Now, thank goodness, I've seen the light and seen the magnificence of a U2 show a few times (the choir of angels sings "Hallelujah" :giggle:).

But I'll tell you, that Peter Gabriel, he's something else too. I saw him again later for the Secret World Tour. Each song was a piece of performance art. Brilliant.

And that's all folks...

OK - random U2 / Peter Gabriel comment here.

The first time I saw U2 in concert was during the Amnesty International Conspiracy of Hope tour at the Forum in Los Angeles. I was soooooo excited to see U2, one of my favorite bands. I was 17. I was excited to see Sting, Brian Adams and some others, but didn't really know much about Peter Gabriel. Madonna and Sean Penn came out at one point and got booed. U2 came on and I was so disappointed. I didn't "get it". Bono comes out wearing boots and some fringy suede jacket thing and they sing a couple of their songs and then some song by Bob Dylan that I don't even know and a bunch of others. Where'd the u2 music go? I will Follow? Gloria? 40? I didn't realize I was getting introduced to Bono's flair for importing snippets of others' songs into their live sets. In any case, it was a huge let down for me and I was so bummed.

Then came Peter Gabriel. I didn't really know anything about him. He comes out (suprisingly goodlooking by the way) and sings Red Rain, Sledgehammer, Shock the Monkey and closes with Biko. At the time I didn't know that song and I'd never seen anyone control an audience the way he did with the closing of that song. I'd heard "40" live before and U2 do the same thing. But I'd never SEEN it. Everyone is singing along with Peter Gabriel to Biko and piece by piece the band stops playing until it's only the crowd left, still singing. I was so impressed and blown away.

I think I was so disappointed by U2 because my expectations were so high and what I saw was not what I expected. Then Peter Gabriel comes out, and I had no expectations at all, and he totally blew me away. I've been a fan ever since.

I should also add that my second u2 in concert experience was Joshua Tree at the LA Colisseum. My seat was so far away, I missed the opening act, my boyfriend and I had had a huge fight that day and I didn't even know if we were going or not. So that show too was a bust. Now, thank goodness, I've seen the light and seen the magnificence of a U2 show a few times (the choir of angels sings "Hallelujah" :giggle:).

But I'll tell you, that Peter Gabriel, he's something else too. I saw him again later for the Secret World Tour. Each song was a piece of performance art. Brilliant.

And that's all folks...

That's so sad about your first U2 experiences.

Edge looks younger...didnt he have a lot more goatee before? and it was a little grayer than now

Biko
by
Peter Gabriel

This song is about the South African anit-apartheid veteran Steve Biko, who in 1977 was killed by police officers while in custody for related political reasons. It was first played on South African TV and radio stations after apartheid was abolished in 1990. When Gabriel sings "yihla moja," which means "Ascend Spirit", he's singing in Xhosa, which is a language spoken in South Africa, notably by activist Nelson Mandela. Gabriel performed this in 1988 at Nelson Mandela's 70th birthday tribute at Wembley Stadium in London. A live version was used on the soundtrack to Cry Freedom, a movie about Stephen Biko by Sir Richard Attenborough. Gabriel performed this at the second Woodstock in 1994. The bagpipes in this song were unusual on a song with tribal rhythms about an African. Gabriel found out that bagpipes had their origin in the Far East, and was not distinctive to Scotland. The beginning and end of the song were based on traditional South African funeral music. This was Gabriel's first major venture into World Music, which he would embrace. In 1982 he started the WOMAD (World Of Music And Dance) festival to showcase these sounds. Simple Minds recorded a cover of this song on their album Street Fighting Years. Peter Gabriel performed "Biko" as lead singer in october 1990's Amnesty International's concert "Desde Chile, Un Abrazo a la Esperanza", at the Estadio Nacional in Santiago, Chile, with Sting and Sting's band as support band, in front of 75000 people. They, plus Sinnead O'Connor instead of original Kate Bush, also performed then Gabriel's "Don't give up". In 1988, in Sao Paulo at Parque Antarctica stadium, I saw Peter Gabriel singing BIKO, with his timming, gestures, power to sing, fantastic guy. This show had too: Bruce Springsteen, Tracy Chapman, Sting dressed as a Xingu indian with Branford Marsalis, Youssour N'Dour and Brazilian Milton Nascimento who played with Pat Metheny.

Lyrics for BIKO:
September '77
Port Elizabeth weather fine
It was business as usual
In police room 619

*Ah Biko, Biko
Because Biko
Yihla Moja, Yihla Moja
The man is dead
The man is dead

When I try and sleep at night
I can only dream in red
The outside world is black and white
With only one color dead

*Chorus

You can blow out a candle
But you can't blow out a fire
Once the flames begin to catch
The wind will blow it higher

*Chorus

And the eyes of the world
Are watching me now
Watching me now

Watch Peter Gabriel during the end of The Conspiracy Hope Tour in 1986:

YouTube - Peter Gabriel Biko Live 1986

^^^Thank you Regina O for posting this. I just love Youtube specifically for this reason. Thank you. :cute:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom