U2 pics by Ken Davies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As an uneducated farmer myself, it's easier to 'get' (appreciate) Davies' photos than Corbijn's.

I love his bold use of color in some of them. Others are pensive: moody and beautiful at the same time. It is beyond beauty when he catches the band in an intimate (platonic way) moment, like during the NLOTH recording. You really feel like the fly on the wall you've always wanted to be when it's 'just' the four of them.

He has a way of making the pics majestic. He doesn't just capture the moment, he glorifies it. Some of the moments are quiet (maybe even boring, what the band members are doing) but he really draws you in with them.

I'm sure he's gained the trust of the band too, from all the beautifully emotive Larry pics and this heart-melting beauty:

_img_Adam20Clayton20OM20200920web.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Ok, now that I've said some arty stuff, the guy also has great eye for muscle definition and how their muscles catch the light best.

Exhibit A, Adam's biceps:

and of course many other pics. In the this Bono pic, he literally looks beefy with, ya know, a muscular torso!

Last thing, (which I've wanted to say most) he really knows how to capture the boys looking...good. Meaning: handsome in the conventionally accepted way that each of them is recognized as looking. Wow. For instance, he really does Adam's jawline justice, and I'm sure he's aware of that when he photographs him. I don't look at the rest of the guys so much, but... it's incredible that all 4 of them look their best in a single shot. (most of his shots). WOW.

I remember when someone found his site and posted it here a while back. Yeah Pleba had a mild freakout over some of those pics. :wink:

Yeah it wasn't too long ago either. I think Cori (or maybe you) and I had a long discussion about sitting in that room with Bono, reading poetry and such, eating cereal... :drool:

Yeah it wasn't too long ago either. I think Cori (or maybe you) and I had a long discussion about sitting in that room with Bono, reading poetry and such, eating cereal... :drool:

Wheetabix! :love:

Here's the pics I saved from last time. Not sure if the first set are bigger, but the magazine scans sure are. :)

sundaytimes210609bonobe.jpg

sundaytimes210609bono.jpg

sundaytimes210609bonoco.jpg

sundaytimes62120094.jpg

sundaytimes62120095.jpg

sundaytimes6212009cover.jpg

sundaytimes62120092.jpg

sundaytimes62120093.jpg

Lawd that man has such long eyelashes. :love:

From an artistical point, I'm much more interested in Corbijn's photography. The Kevin Davis pictures are nice, some even beautiful, but they are not extraordinary. In fact, they seem quite ordinary, though I admit it's lovely to see Bono eating cereal and holding chicks, but that's nothing that interests me from an artistical point of view. I like pictures that are extraordinary and capture special moments or special things about people. For me, there is not enough artistic U2 photography, I would love to see a more artistic approach, maybe by a photographer who hasn't worked with the band yet. I liked the Leibovitz shots and also the Kevin Westenberg ones, especially the ones he did with Bono in the bathrobe. I'm really interested at seeing a person's character in photos, not just a nice and pretty face, landscape, holiday scene, whatever. That said, I think the Davis pictures are a little too "flat" for me, sometimes even boring, but that's just me, and I'm really into photography a lot.

Btw, Anton is coming to my home town for an event next Saturday. I'm totally pissed I can't go :sad:, I would have loved to see him and hear him talk. There have been several news reports in national media about this, but I'm leaving for a longer journey on Saturday morning. I am excited about the journey but I wish the Corbijn thing would have taken place a couple of days earlier. :grumpy:

Back
Top Bottom