U2 Perform at Help Haiti Gala Jan 11, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vertigo has almost all times been played on the blonde telecaster, the mimed cannes performance was the Music Rising strat... I think some promo gigs he played it on a pretty blue one that was too damaged in the floods to bring on tour.

Desire was played on a stratocaster on ZooTv, the skeleton one. Don't really recall seeing any other electric performances of it in a long, long time. The acoustic ones on the 360 adn vertigo tour were played on the explorer I think, just like AoH. Man my memory is rusty on guitar stuff. :lol:

Well...

Desire has been both Strat and...LP I believe electrically, and for acoustic I think Hummingbird or whatever that acoustic is he favors. But I don't think Explorer..

Vertigo can definitely be played on a Strat without too much trouble at all and get a very similar sound, but Tele is the one he uses, correct.

Well...

Desire has been both Strat and...LP I believe electrically, and for acoustic I think Hummingbird or whatever that acoustic is he favors. But I don't think Explorer..

Vertigo can definitely be played on a Strat without too much trouble at all and get a very similar sound, but Tele is the one he uses, correct.

Vertigo can be played with just about any electric guitar as long as Dallas and Edge take the right pedals with them.
Funny, how it seems Edge usually picks the Strat for these kind of small promo or surprise gigs,
OR they are doing acoustics only. (That's pretty much most of the time anyway :tsk:)

I had to note it becuase I was surprised and exited about seeing that Strat on stage instead of the good ol' acoustic.

Vertigo can be played with just about any electric guitar as long as Dallas and Edge take the right pedals with them.

Um, ok, well that's the case with all U2 songs. Any U2 song can be played on any electric guitar. Tone and results may vary fairly wildly, though.

However...the biggest reason (from what I understand) that Vertigo can be played on either the Tele or the Strat is because of how similar the pickups are. You're not going to get that similar of a sound from a LP or Explorer, which use different pickups. You can get a similar overdrive from the same overdrive pedal, yes, but not the exact same tone. That would take some extra tweaking/pedals to achieve, to bring, say, the LP in closer to what you were trying to achieve with the Strat.

Thanks for clarifying that, I don't play myself, and just learn from studying Edge's gear and reading.
but I mean you see so many people covering u2 songs on completely different guitars , and some of them actually nail Edge's sound. Even though they are not playing guitars Edge has, but then they probably try to have the same kind of pickups right?
So i thought it was possible.l but that is an untrained eye watching. But I'm guessing you play guitar? And know more than I do. Lesson noted.

For a song like Vertigo, that relies heavily on the distortion, those parts can be done by pretty much any guitar, with the right gear. But the clear notes, like the solo? That sound is fairly typical for Fender pickups,, so if you played that with a Les Paul, it would sound very different. Same with UTEOTW, the riff would work cause of the distortion covers the tone, but the arpeggio notes and solo parts wouldn't sound the same if you played them on a Stratocaster.

I think you're right on Desire Gabe, I think I mixed up things... the 'acoustic' performances of AOH were with the Explorer, desire was an actual acoustic guitar. And then there was ialw :yuck: waste of Explorer usage.

Even though they are not playing guitars Edge has, but then they probably try to have the same kind of pickups right?

Yep. Pickups can be similar, copies, or even the same, and just put on generic guitars. Even the cheapies have a pickup that in some way tries to emulate the single-coil, double-coil, etc etc..

But I'm guessing you play guitar? And know more than I do. Lesson noted.

I wear one lol. Nah I do play a bit, just rhythm along with the rest of the band. But because I don't play through alot (if, any) of pedals and mainly rely on the natural distortion/overdrive of my amp, I hear differences between, say, open coil pickups (like on a Strat) and covered Humbuckers (like on a LP).

The rest I cheat on and have picked up along the way because I'm constantly around another (real) guitarist who's job it is to try and nail Edge's sound ;)

I think you're right on Desire Gabe, I think I mixed up things... the 'acoustic' performances of AOH were with the Explorer,

Really? I can't remember this at all. I think you still might be mixin it up :wink:

I've seen them do a (semi) acoustic AOH with Edge playing on his LP, not the Explorer. Mind you, they both use the same pickups..

Even the acoustic performances of AOH on Zoo...Bono was electric, Edge played an acoustic.

Is there a video of this? I'd be interested..I just don't remember it.I like the Explorer alot.

The rest I cheat on and have picked up along the way because I'm constantly around another (real) guitarist who's job it is to try and nail Edge's sound ;)

Sounds like good fun too me. :giggle: I love to nerd out on any kind of gear.
Although I know more about drums than guitar. (which you noticed. :shh::wink: )

Really? I can't remember this at all. I think you still might be mixin it up :wink:

I've seen them do a (semi) acoustic AOH with Edge playing on his LP, not the Explorer. Mind you, they both use the same pickups..

Even the acoustic performances of AOH on Zoo...Bono was electric, Edge played an acoustic.

Is there a video of this? I'd be interested..I just don't remember it.I like the Explorer alot.
U2 Amsterdam 2009-07-20 Angel Of Harlem - U2gigs.com - YouTube

I think most 360 performances were with the Explorer, all I recall were. Then again it wasn't fully acoustic, but everyone seemed to call it that way cause it was half Bono Edge only. Weird definition but ah well...

Desire was indeed played on an acoustic, I think the washburn.

U2 Amsterdam 2009-07-20 Angel Of Harlem - U2gigs.com - YouTube

I think most 360 performances were with the Explorer, all I recall were. Then again it wasn't fully acoustic, but everyone seemed to call it that way cause it was half Bono Edge only. Weird definition but ah well...

Ha! Good catch! For some reason I barely paid attention to any instruments used on 360 outside Bono's sexy new Tele.

But it's not such a stretch for him to use the Explorer on AOH I suppose..on Zoo I believe and probably other tours he used the LP...they are both Humbucker type pickup geetars ;)

And I have no idea why people would call those 360 (and ZOO) performances acoustic. The entire band actually plays during the song :huh:

Ha! Good catch! For some reason I barely paid attention to any instruments used on 360 outside Bono's sexy new Tele.

But it's not such a stretch for him to use the Explorer on AOH I suppose..on Zoo I believe and probably other tours he used the LP...they are both Humbucker type pickup geetars ;)

And I have no idea why people would call those 360 (and ZOO) performances acoustic. The entire band actually plays during the song :huh:

I love the Explorer :wink: And have a photographic memory for guitars, haha.

But yeah, it's really weird that people call it acoustic, I don't know why either. Same with songs like North Star and EBW. For me acoustic = played on an acoustic guitar, if you really want to be picky one could argue that it would be truly acoustic without amplification, but yeah that's not possible in a stadium. But to have Edge play an electric guitar with Bono singing? IMO that's not acoustic. It's guitar & vocals only, lol. Melody only if you will.

:wink: Yeah, I have a thing with semantics.

Agreed. Acoustic = acoustic guitar (obv needs an amp for stadiums/live shows). Bono and Edge w/an electric guitar? That is just the melody section. Not sure what the term would actually be, but I dont think acoustic is the right word. :hmm:

Where are all the music geniuses? Can someone solve our newest riddle? :lol:

You and me both, then. :love:

I dedicated an entire thread to it, in fact. :reject: Which reminds me I've been meaning to update with more pics I've come across over the last couple years. :hmm:

Here it is for anyone interested. :up:
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...os-fender-tele-bono-rocks-the-fly-213834.html

I wonder if we'll see The Fly next time around, or this guitar. We can hope!

You want to help start a fundraising drive to get me one? :D :wink:

Sure, why not! :D

I still think it's weird how someone else (I forget who) wrote an article or something I remember reading about how the guitar was their idea. Yet when I talked to Dallas in Oakland (before the guitar had made its debut yet) he very definitely told me it was his idea, his guitar he thought up especially for Bono. :hmm:

^Dallas is the coolest bloke for even thinking of that. Let alone he actually DID have it made for Bono. And that's one :drool: GREAT-looking and sounding guitar.

Too bad its "played" by Bono :wink:

Since we are getting all guitar-wonky, what's unique about the green tele, aside from the hot green finish on the neck?

The gold inlay! Also, the guitar itself is rather unique, as its a semi-hollow body Tele. But even more unique, is the custom 2nd "f" cutout in the body, and of course the pickups and knobs are custom. It's one sweetass guitar, one than I covet more greatly than his green Grestch, because its a much nicer size and easier to play IMO.

It's a very custom made gutiar yeah. It's a bit of a mixup between a telecaster and Bono's classic Gretsch Irish Falcon. So there's no other guitar in the world like it. :D Dallas is a great designer, cause it looks absolutely amazing!

And I prefer smaller guitars, lol. Cannot play hollowbodies, fuck they're heavy! :lol:

^ They covered it. :D It's really one of a kind, in looks and function. And definitely made for Bono uniquely. The color and design a nod to his Gretsch, unique to him. And Telecasters are solid body, I had never seen a semi-hollow like gvox said. Tele's are just neat, my husband plays them, and they are probably his favorite guitars over any of his others.

On the 360 Tour I saw Dallas in the parking lot at one of their shows, and I asked him when we would see Bono's new Tele, and Dallas went Whaaaaaaaaaat??? :shocked: how do you know about that? :lol: And then he talked to me about it for a while, told me it was his design for Bono, and said we'd see it soon. Turned out a few shows later I think Bono debuted it with The Fly. :drool: It was great.

Back
Top Bottom