U2 Garners Green Controversy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonohero

The Fly
I sometimes look at Perez Hilton's website for fun, and sometimes he posts news about our boys. He generally does not care for them, especially Bono, but I thought that this blurb was a significant topic for discussion, so I'm posting it.

Although U2 has preached about world hunger and environmental issues, the band has ignited harsh criticism over the sizeable cost of their recent world tour.

The three steel structures that make up the custom-built stage cost between £15 and £20 million each, becoming the most ambitious endeavor of any world tour, including the intricate stages of Madonna and The Rolling Stones.

"We're spending the money on our fans, I don't think there's a better thing you could spend it on," said guitarist The Edge.

The green and orange "claw" stage allowed an estimated 88,000 fans an unobstructed of the band at England's Wembley Stadium this past weekend.

Talking Heads singer David Byrne was one of many that offered his thoughts, "$40 million to build the stage and, having done the math, we estimate 200 semi trucks crisscrossing Europe for the duration. It could be professional envy speaking here, but it sure looks like, well, overkill, and just a wee bit out of balance given all the starving people in Africa and all."

But, the band feels that this is part of the touring process!

"I think anybody that's touring is going to have a carbon footprint. I think it's probably unfair to single out rock 'n' roll," continued The Edge. There's many other things that are in the same category but as it happens we have a programme to offset whatever carbon footprint we have. We'd love to have some alternative to big trucks bringing the stuff around but there just isn't one"

Do U think U2 are a bunch of hypocrites?!

I personally believe that U2 are not hypocrites, and that they realize what they are doing. They have multiple Claw structures, which cuts down on travel to the various cities.

Just wanted your thoughts....

U2 haven't been that outspoken about the environment, especially compared to other famous people. And what does the cost of a stage have to do with starving people? Are U2 supposed to not have a stage and give the money to charity? They're a band, and bands use stages and go on tours. That's what they do.

This whole "controversy" is just being used as another excuse to bash U2 and isn't really valid.

And Perez Hilton is one of those people that only gets attention because he's gay. If he was straight, he'd be just another guy and no one would care.

End of rant.

Hey!!... I am still upset they did not come to Portugal.
They should have made one concert (or two) on EVERY COUNTRY in Europe. (!!)
Yes. That would be pleasing ALL of the fans who are not able to criss-cross Europe
by car, train or foot just to go see them.

My general attitude is...f**k Perez Hilton. He is a waste of everyone's time. I didn't know he had it in for U2 though. Hmm, now I just hate him more :D

As far as the green thing goes though, it's a freaking rock concert. It's not going to be environmentally friendly. People are doing a lot to try and help the environment, but not everything we do is life is going to be 'green'. That's that. Also, I feel like some people want U2 to get really involved in the green movement, mostly because they're considered a 'cause' band. They can't campaign for everything...they're only human. They do a lot of work like that, and they already get a ton of backlash for it. :angry:

But yeah, Perez Hilton :down:

My general attitude is...f**k Perez Hilton. He is a waste of everyone's time. I didn't know he had it in for U2 though. Hmm, now I just hate him more :D

As far as the green thing goes though, it's a freaking rock concert. It's not going to be environmentally friendly. People are doing a lot to try and help the environment, but not everything we do is life is going to be 'green'. That's that. Also, I feel like some people want U2 to get really involved in the green movement, mostly because they're considered a 'cause' band. They can't campaign for everything...they're only human. They do a lot of work like that, and they already get a ton of backlash for it. :angry:

But yeah, Perez Hilton :down:

I totally agree with everything you just said!!! :applaud:

I sometimes look at Perez Hilton's website for fun, and sometimes he posts news about our boys. He generally does not care for them, especially Bono, but I thought that this blurb was a significant topic for discussion, so I'm posting it.

I personally believe that U2 are not hypocrites, and that they realize what they are doing. They have multiple Claw structures, which cuts down on travel to the various cities.

Just wanted your thoughts....

Perez is basically just an over-glorified media whore. Here that 'clicking' sound Perez? It's the clock saying you are on minute 14 of your 15 minutes of fame. Enjoy.

Well said. :up:

I've noticed, too, that people are trying to rope U2 into the green movement just because they're popular and they already care about a lot of stuff. And they haven't said that they're trying to "go green," so how are they being hypocritical? That's what I don't get.

He is such an a-hole

That he is. If you really wanna hate him, just go to his site and search under "Bono" and you will find his dislike for him. It's not just him either. People get on there and make nasty comments about the band and/or Bono. It disgusts me. I just get on there because some of his stuff makes me laugh, but I'm always leary when I see a U2 post.

And is it REALLY a 'controversy'?

Just because Perez or some other f&^knut wants to talk negatively doesn't mean it's a 'real' controversy.

It merely means it is business as usual and some 'hater' is just talking trash.

And is it REALLY a 'controversy'?

Just because Perez or some other f&^knut wants to talk negatively doesn't mean it's a 'real' controversy.

It merely means it is business as usual and some 'hater' is just talking trash.

No, it is not a real controversy. I just took his title and put it as the thread title. I find that many people do not share my love of U2. They call them egotistical wankers and other awful terms. These people have probably never even listened to a whole U2 album, much less taken a look at Bono's fight for aid for Africa. If Bono did give millions to Africa they would have some negative thing to say about him. It's a ridiculous cycle. I think they are just jealous of Bono. It's their loss...more for us! :laugh:

For U2 to go completely "Green" they would have to re-do a WOODSTOCK concert all over again.
But then again , who would want to see a concert where there are no bathrooms? no way of seeing the band from two miles away? no seats? sitting on the grass (probably sitting on some cow dung)? no bars (no beer)? having to cross a muddy field (where most of the folks would probably be wallowing in knee-deep mud splashing around like pigglets)? and no one could hear the music from teh stage being far away?

Sure... let´s go "Green" :lol: But first they will have to hire Jimi Hendrix for the opening act!!! :applaud:

He is such an a-hole

:applaud::up:

U2 360 Degree-tour looks like going to be a history in music industry and live performance...
and so some people need to make any negative statement or opinion just to tell the world how bad are our boyz :doh:
oooh, or just to make themselves being famous with some stupid-silly-billy statement...

Ummm...
since I really don't know anything about this "a-hole"... I just wondering what did he do for the green campaign :hmm:
or he just being NATO... No Action Talk Only

I hate the fact that every dollar that U2 spends on something other than charity always gets a comment like "They could be giving money to Africa instead!" or "If Bono cares so much about children in Africa why doesn't he give all of his money to them". That's just BS... Now they are not supposed to tour because there are dying African children? There will, unfortunately, always be dying African children, but not because Bono (and U2) don't care, but because there are only very few who DO care about the issue as much as he does (I know there are a lot of us, fans, who care, but I am talking about people who have big bucks to donate). At least Bono does something about the issues he stands for, rather than just talk about it... and they donate plenty of hard earned cash to Africa - they just don't have to brag about it all the time... on the other hand maybe they should so the regular public becomes aware of it, considering most of them are under the impression that Bono personally doesn't donate any money. But you can't start limiting the band on how much money they should be allowed to spend on their tour...fuck!

I hate the fact that every dollar that U2 spends on something other than charity always gets a comment like "They could be giving money to Africa instead!" or "If Bono cares so much about children in Africa why doesn't he give all of his money to them". That's just BS... Now they are not supposed to tour because there are dying African children? There will, unfortunately, always be dying African children, but not because Bono (and U2) don't care, but because there are only very few who DO care about the issue as much as he does (I know there are a lot of us, fans, who care, but I am talking about people who have big bucks to donate). At least Bono does something about the issues he stands for, rather than just talk about it... and they donate plenty of hard earned cash to Africa - they just don't have to brag about it all the time... on the other hand maybe they should so the regular public becomes aware of it, considering most of them are under the impression that Bono personally doesn't donate any money. But you can't start limiting the band on how much money they should be allowed to spend on their tour...fuck!

:up:

And then the annoying people who go: "You're a U2 fan, right? I think Bono is a hypocrite, a douchebag and a poser, because he has three houses, pays taxes in Holland and :blahblah: :blahblah:"
:angry:

And then the annoying people who go: "You're a U2 fan, right? I think Bono is a hypocrite, a douchebag and a poser, because he has three houses, pays taxes in Holland and :blahblah: :blahblah:"
:angry:

Ugh! Exactly!!!! I feel strongly about both of the above statements. People just don't understand the awesomeness that is known as Bono. He is the best. No one could ever change my mind.

People just don't understand the awesomeness that is known as Bono. He is the best. No one could ever change my mind.

If I tell that to some of the 'blah' people, they usually reply with: "But it's all part of the plan! Did you know his dad was a Freemason and Bono is an Illuminati himself, hence the 'satanic hand sign' he makes (peace sign, dw)! The Illuminati want as much fans as they can get!" And then I have to take a closer look at the Yaweh video and :blahblah: :blahblah: , di :blahblah: :madspit:

I even almost had my ass kicked a few times for being a U2 fan. (I must say I'm kinda proud of that fact! :wink: ) And I wasn't even in high school anymore (there they wanted to kick my ass for being a Queen fan), but already at university!

Back
Top Bottom